The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1
hongrn

"Gettysburg" on the History Channel

Guys,

Don't forget to catch this show. Monday 5/30 at 9PM. Got my DVR programmed already. Ridley Scott and Tony Scott are the producers, so it should be really well done.

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysb...eek-gettysburg

Hong
Old May 27, 2011, 05:01 PM   #2
BombthePeasants

As in the Ridley Scott that made that abomination of a movie, "Kingdom of Heaven"?

VOMIT

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/mt...ywood-crusade/
Old May 27, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
hongrn

Every director makes a bomb in his/her lifetime. Why don't you reserve judgement until Tuesday?
Old May 28, 2011, 10:50 AM   #4
junebug_01

Scott directed Alien in 1979. A great movie. Some of you weren't even born then!
Old May 28, 2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Wildalaska

Im sure that it will be historically accurate, like all other Hollywood products.

If you are interested in the Battle of Gettysburg, perhaps your time would be better spent in the american history section of your library.

WildmarshallmcluhanAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old May 28, 2011, 12:03 PM   #6
hongrn

Quote:
If you are interested in the Battle of Gettysburg, perhaps your time would be better spent in the american history section of your library.
Please, I'm 56 years old, spent 2 years as a combat medic in Vietnam, my father fought the Japanese in WWII, and my brother spent his career in the Airborne Division. We know a little bit about history and lived some of it. It's funny how some of you can't read a thread without instilling sarcasm, sanctimony, and other negative thoughts. If you tried to treat other people's thoughts with respect, positiveness and acceptance, may be your own life will be better.

All I'm saying here is that Gettysburg is an important part of our history. If you have time to watch is, fine, if not, move on! You don't have to vomit on my thread, or patronize me. And moderator, please feel free to close this thread.

Hong
Old May 28, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
If you tried to treat other people's thoughts with respect, positiveness and acceptance, may be your own life will be better.
My life is wonderful...probably because I avoid Hollywood and TV

WildandmygranpafoughtinwwIsothereAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old May 28, 2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Zenkoji

Hear hear Hong!

+1

The comments from the other "posters" prove their lack of age and wisdom. The fact that I have never seen either of them post anywhere else shows their lack of knowledge as well.

If you don't have something helpful to add to a conversation, then please don't post. Just move on.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
The fact that I have never seen either of them post anywhere else shows their lack of knowledge as well.
I never saw any posts by that peasant dude but Wild posts all over the place. He's pretty proliferate. I didn't know he knew what black powder was tho. Don't think I've ever seen him in here.
Old May 28, 2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:
I didn't know he knew what black powder was tho. Don't think I've ever seen him in here.
Ha!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=dougall

I love BP. I just dont have time

I saw Gettysburg and History Channel in the same sentence. As a long time student of the Battle (and yes I have walked it several times and even remember when the cyclorama opened up in 1962), I felt constrained to comment

WildidontliketvrevisionisthistoricaltvcrapAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old May 28, 2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Hardcase

Geez, guys, watch it or don't. Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 28, 2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Hawg

You too HC and everybody else whether I agree with you or not.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:36 PM   #13
rosewood

Scott also directed Blackhawk down. I would imagine Gettysburg should be good.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:42 AM   #14
shafter

As a long time student of the Civil War this sounds like something that should be pretty interesting. I absolutely love studying Gettysburg.

I just hope its better than the politically correct Alamo show they did. However, I will rserve judgment.

Thanks for the heads up!!

BTW, it would be really nice if they devoted a bit of the show to the firearms of the battle.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:49 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

I wore out my DVD copy of Gettysburg, Just replaced it with a blu-ray disc. Fairly accurate as far as a Hollywood movie goes.

They used thousands of amateur reenactors to stage the battle, weapons and gear are period correct, although I did see a few flaws with saddles and tack.

Another flaw is Martin Sheen's portrayal of Robert E. Lee, I liked Robert Duvall's more animated Lee in "Gods and Generals". Tom Berringer's as Longstreet is Berringer at his best. Jeff Daniels as Joshua Chamberlain really shines, Sam Elliott is, well Sam Elliott The defense of Little Round Top on July 2 by Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine is the best part of this movie.

Truly great Americans on both sides of the battle line.

I've read most of the books on Gettysburg and this four hour movie is worth watching...if your not out shooting.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:31 AM   #16
MJN77

My only complaint about the movie, was the stupid looking false beards. It looks loke Barringer has a piece of carpet stapled to his chin. Other than that, good movie.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Wild, most of the time I agree. History Channel these days...well...is anything but History.

But I must admit Ridley Scott's work on Blackhawk Down was excellent and not very far off from what transpired. I'm willing to watch it at face value and not take anything made for some form of entertainment as 100% historical fact...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 31, 2011, 06:07 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

This really isn't related to firearms, folks.

At this point the only thing it's going to be is a series of movie reviews about how great/bad it was, and that's not the purpose of this forum.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread