The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2009, 08:54 AM   #51
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Smokin_gun: That's a terrific shot of a 'hawk throw. The thrower's poise was captured perfectly with the hawk in flight. Kudos!
Thanks Gary that pic was taken some 20-25 years ago(of Me)...I got lucky when my friend captured that one. Was just a Kodak moment that came along. As you probly know the practice it takes to get a hawk on target let alone stick...I wish I had that pic in my pocket and a $1 for every moment spent tryin' to get someone into that zone.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 28, 2009, 04:45 PM   #52
Smokin' gun

we tell them that. But here in Sc, the boys want brass frames. They also don't want to pay much more than a 225 for a gun---yet! The gunnison reb confederate is popular along with any 44 c brass frames. I don't have a Spiller and Burr in the shop but the pic looks good. Believe it or not, we only sold 2 steel framers. All the rest are brass. There was an independent movie that came out a few years ago called "The last Confederate." It was, of course a civil war pic made in Sc and the star used a brasser all the way through it. If you see it at your video store, it's worth watching because there is more cap and ball action since Josey Wells--but the acting ain't too good.Also, great pics Smokin!!! As long as we can keep the doors open--I guess you'll be a legend( to some extent) in your own time! I tell you---we have forked out too much trying to stock up for muzzle loading season which starts in Oct. I pray we sell enough to keep the shop goin==I'm scared, nervous ============================Oh, Smokin, the comment about brass frames I think was adressed to someone else and they confused you as being that someone
Old June 28, 2009, 05:00 PM   #53
Smokin' gun

Ideas! if you saw that video, I have 1,2,3 colts in the display at hefty price. I thought by having them there would make the replicas look more economical. I'm wonderin if I should take them home and just have 199 to 250 priced guns. Are those colts making the replicas look like crap, cheap instead of economical. I can't sell the Uberties! I like Uberties but I can't sell most of them for under 300 and make a profit. We have these things priced not much difference than if someone ordered on line and paid shipping and handling. SO FAR everyone wants a gun around $200.00 So, would you take those colts home? Seriously, I'm having a hard time figuring this market here in SC.
Old June 28, 2009, 09:16 PM   #54
Smokin_Gun

You could keep one or two there of the Colt 2nd Gen and tag um higher than you'd take or put For display only. Then you can compare um and the prices ifin anyone asks. ... only an interested buy knowing what it is would ask about it. As I think you said you can order for anyone that wants a more than $225 gun plus you have a good assortment. Your store will get popular by word a mouth and the Inet.
Old June 29, 2009, 09:26 AM   #55
CaptainCrossman

Quote:
we tell them that. But here in Sc, the boys want brass frames.

because brass is perceived as being more affordable.

I picked up a steel frame 1860 on gunbroker for only $130, and (2) steel frame Remingtons apart/needing assembly for $80 and $90 each respectively. At a gun show there was a Rogers and Spencer for $100 steel frame, and locally picked up a 3rd model Dragoon steel frame for $200. there seems to be a lot of good c/b buys out there, but you have to ferret them out
Old June 29, 2009, 06:46 PM   #56
Smokin_Gun

Good find W.T. Sherman... Let me ask you this if you bougtht those to say fix up and turn around and sell, or just plain sell what would you charge for them if you sold um.
I'm jus' curious as I'm guessin' you bought um to shoot. What would they be with in good shootin' order? Then how much is a brass Rev N.I.B.?
The Old supply and demand...people are a gonna buy what they like, and buy another that's liked but differant next time.
Hell I been doin' that since the first old beat up brasser I got too long ago to count. I don't have that one no more but I do still have the Big Ol' Bowie throwin' knife I took in trade for it :O)
Old June 29, 2009, 08:10 PM   #57
Smokin' gun

I guess sherman has a point. You got to spend a lot of time /research and travel to pick up these 50 to 100 dollar deals or get lucky. I don't think our store will survive if all customers are doing this. We show them the suggested retail price--discount them and most have factory warranties. I did sell a 1970 something 36 Navy Arms=never (supposedly been fired for $189. I see where someone has that same gun for 225 on the internet. So it is possible to get good deals from your Mom and Pop stores. Not just me---but we need small guys back out there retailing or we just sold out completely here in the USA. I mean everything-not just guns! And the young people need to get a grip because they are the ones that are going to face the trouble coming! And the only way to do it is get away from high rent districts. I'm a certified real estate appraiser and know what all these 6 lane highway stores with red lights at every 200 yards cost! Let's get away from all that and start simplifying. Billy
Old June 29, 2009, 08:37 PM   #58
Smokin' gun

But no one is goin to do that. Hell--fly the flag and buy Chinese. Order on the internet and pay the shipping and handling ---or go to the big box store and hope someone is at the counter, or maybe some teenager from the electronics section will come over and sell you what you want after walking across acres of parking lot and more acres inside your favorite store. I am guilty of this!!! And wondering if this will ever change or are we going to be working in soup kitchens in Asia one day! Awh, hell had a bad Monday. try doing appraisals for banks these days that won't accept responsibility for naking bad loans and now blaming the appraisers and expecting crap that goes way beyond our scope of work. I'm gonna fire a few rounds out of my gun, I like the 1861 navy ubertie. It is easy, breaks down easy and shoots great!!! I done vented it out--whooo,I'm tired!
Old June 29, 2009, 11:40 PM   #59
arcticap

Let me ask if you have an FFL license?
Not many shops can survive on just their black powder business even on their best days.
Most shops take in all kinds of guns on consignment or trade in's for the purpose of helping folks to trade up to more expensive and more desirable guns.
But without an FFL, then doing some horse trading involving the transfer of centerfire guns becomes more difficult if not impossible.
So do you take in trades, consignments and deal with centerfire guns too? Do you plan too?
Being located in what looks to be a small town area especially, any new gun shop would need to diversify just to survive in these days of internet competition. Have you considered getting involved in the pawn or consignment business in any limited way i.e. - coins, gold, electronics, cameras or used guns to help supplement the BP business to help it survive in the long term?

Last edited by arcticap; June 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old July 1, 2009, 03:55 PM   #60
Smokin' gun

I see what you're saying. Yes we are applying for an ffl but for certain items such as cartridge converters, reloading etc. If we start selling ammo--then insurance goes up and of course paperwork etc. to keep the costs down, I plan to convert 1/3 of the shop to our appraisal business--then the cost for the shop and of course the real estate operation will go down considerably. The shop is a sideline for me and my daughter. People will start buying muzzleloading stuff this month--the season is in October and then you have Christmas. With all overhead down to a minimum--we'll see after Christmas what we can do or not do. Thanks Articap-Billy
Old July 2, 2009, 07:40 PM   #61
Smokin' gun

Hey, Smokin--I'd like to have that Spiller and Burr. Since I'm a RE appraiser I know about supply and demand. Here in SC--they want those brass guns. Sold two gunnison replicas. Never saw the Spiller except in the catologue. But that and the JH Dance will sell in the shop and the 1858Rem) quicker than the colt steel frames. We had an interesting and knowledged customer= Reb calvery Captain -you'd liked him- that ordered a spare cylinder for his 1858 Rem. He talked about loading the Rem while riding in the heat of battle on his horse. SO I guess you know why he wants a spare cylinder :}
Old July 2, 2009, 08:26 PM   #62
Smokin_Gun

Billy, I'm gonna email a friend up North a me and see has he still got that NIB Pietta Spiller and Burr. Over on my Forum he goes by Murph ... maybe Big Murf here. I'll see if he's still got one.
That old S&B I got is one of my two brassers left now.
If it's gotta go Billy your first on the list.
Old July 3, 2009, 03:38 PM   #63
Smokin' gun

Thanks Smokin-------here's a question---what are these 2n and 3rd gen colts really worth.I know about the blue book but these prices and supply have changed.And, after seeing my video where a 3'd navy in grey box w/accessories---I bought it off the internet supposedly never been cocked. Well, the stainless steel back strap shows areas of corrosion, and the loading leaver is a bit wobbly. I ran a swab through the barrel and it came out black and orange. So be carefull what you buy. Now, I'm thinking of loading it and just say I have an authenic colt---in my holster or just leave it alone. I think the best gun I have is that RELee 2nd commerative. I don't see any advertised and the US Grant is trying to get1300. After taking in your advise, I want to interchange these guns in and out of the display. Maybe have them all there at Christmas. I'm not much into selling at gun shows and I just as soon keep um---but what do you think about that Navy 3 signiture? The suggested retail price on the Spiller is about 260 to 280--- We offer less than retail. But when you buy from Traditions or Taylor you're goona have tax and handling!!:}
Old July 4, 2009, 01:48 AM   #64
Smokin_Gun

That Colt you got if it's a 2nd Gen that's a tarnished Silver Plating on the backstrap. Did you say a '51 Navy? If it's a shooter and ya like it I'd keep it for me. Heehee!
Don't lowball yerself just a fair price as you said. If you get lucky on the internet on GB or AA you can sell as used for less, don't give um away.
The Bluebook is a base price to date .... the Auction price is how bad someone wants somethin' :O)
Old July 6, 2009, 05:07 PM   #65
Smokin' gun

It's a 3'rd generation/ w accessories box. I shot 6 rounds out of it an hour ago. Cleaned it up with a ballestol water mix. Didn't take the nipples off but ran a pipe cleaner thru them Its silver plated. Shot good!
Old July 6, 2009, 06:05 PM   #66
Smokin' gun

wait--it's crome
Old July 6, 2009, 06:57 PM   #67
Smokin' gun

And also--I do not have a US Grant 2nd---The $1300 price is the offer price from an other dealer. I just have the RELee... Let's wait until Christmas to see if real colts sell--if not, they are mine:} $200+/- brassers are the ones goin so far.
Old July 6, 2009, 09:39 PM   #68
Smokin_Gun

Hey Billy, if that is a Colt Signature or 2nd Gen Colt, and has Sam Colt's Sig on the backstrap, that's Silver plate...not Chromed like some others may be.

What was that one again a 1851 Navy Colt Sig???
Old July 7, 2009, 04:37 PM   #69
Smokin' gun

Smokin-- it's a 3'rd generation 1851 navy signiture series w/S Colts signiture on backstrap, bullet mold and nipple wrench. It came in a grey cardboard box that flips up with a pic of Colt and says the authenic Colt black powder signiture series. The accesories box does the same but has the flask/cap container, bullet mold and wrench. I think it's crome because its shiny like the pipes on a Harley. On the video it's shown.
Old July 7, 2009, 05:33 PM   #70
Smokin' gun

Articap------the store fronts a 4 lane highway 200yards from Spartanburg's city limit on HWY 221. Easy access. we're advertising Greenville-Spartanburg in the "Shopper" Almost a million people here:}
Old July 10, 2009, 10:50 PM   #71
arcticap

I wouldn't have ever guessed that you're located so close to an urban area!
Maybe you can write something like this in your ad:

"Wanted: Dead or Alive - Black Powder Revolvers!
If You Know Their Whereabouts,
Give Us a Call and We'll Send Out a Posse to Round Them Up!
Reward!"

Then buy them for a very low price and resell some of them to us!

Last edited by arcticap; July 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old July 10, 2009, 11:09 PM   #72
robhof

robhof

Do you sell any of the kit guns; like the Kentucky pistol or Hawkins rifle kits? I think there's even revolver kits, I've seen some at gun shows. They vary from medium skill to advanced, I'd stay away from the advanced unless someone is very skilled; then they usually get very high end kits or piece it together to their tastes.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:28 PM   #73
Smokin' gun

Thanks Articap! I guess y'all want me to keep that 3rd gen navy colt that's silver plated for my self that I said looks like chrome. So be it:} As far as these Kentucky rifles etc. we can get them through Traditions/Ellets/ETC. But you can go to "Track of the Wolf." We have a dealership with them on some items.They seem to be the masters of these. I have their catelogue and you can go to their site---if you find it, please call us 864-8047080- and we might be able to get it cheaper--maybe not, but they got some damn good stuff in this genre!
Old July 11, 2009, 04:34 PM   #74
Smokin' gun

Also, kit guns can be bought at "academy" Especially the kentucky pistol. I'm not a fan of kit guns because most of them are like the old airplanes and ships we used to make. Parts don't fit--lotta work etc. But we can get um Go to the "track of the wolf" if you want to build a great flintlock.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:57 PM   #75
Smokin' gun

Dear Aricap and Smokin gun, that 3rd navy that has our special man Colt and his address can't hit the broad sign of a barn. I cleaned it back up after 12 rounds but was very disappointed. I couldn't hit a beer can at 10 feet and the cylinder got so foulded and sluggish--not like the 1861 navy ubertie which I can shoot a silver dollar out of the sky--just kidding. But I can shoot small targets with it at 35 ft away. That Navy wouldn't hit anything. I cleaned her back up with blue and grey and ran a ballestol mix through her and put her back in the grey box. I've got pietta 44 steel frame navy1851 lawmakers that are marked down to $199.

Oh, forgot, ain't supposed to do no selling on this thread. I will not buy another expensive c/b revolver because after 2 months no one seems to want to pay more than $200 for one. And when they buy one of these -springs will break--Oh, what did I get myself into! I'll keep you more informed when muzzleloading season gears up. I might be pleasantly surprised. I dear hope so.