The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
mikenbarb

Need help with Lyman 310 dies.

I have 3 Lyman 310 hand tool dies and need help identifying them. The one is #357 another is #427 and the last is #118. I ordered an owners manual but didnt get yet. Thanks in advance.
Old July 9, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
LHB1

Mike,
I haven't played with a Lyman 310 tong set since 1962-63. Don't remember the markings/ID on each piece although the #357 piece could be the sizing die for .38/.357 caliber cases. I was very happy when I replaced that thing with a real bench reloader setup. Are you planning to use it or just put it on the wall as an antique?
Old July 9, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Hook686

You might check those numbers here:

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

The 427 might be a bullet sizing die.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 9, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
mikenbarb

LHB1, I was going to sell them at first but decided to use them(have 2)and have been stocking up on alot of dies and other stuff for them. So far, I have 1 lg. steel hand tool, 1 lg aluminum tool 5 complete die sets and 6 decap and priming dies. I think their cool old book loaders and worth their weight in gold. Their great for working on small qty loads and actually very precise for what they are. If you have any dies or parts you want to part with, shoot me a pm with info. Thanks, Mike
HOOK686, Thanks for the link, will check it out.
Old July 9, 2008, 09:34 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Pretty cool find!

Hook686, Yes, The 2 are bullet sizing and lube dies and the other is a case sizer. I didnt realize that the 310 tools were used for bullet sizing and lubing. Its a pretty good thing to have and havnt seen a sizing die for them before. Thanks, You made my week.
Old July 9, 2008, 09:48 PM   #6
armedandsafe

I have a bunch of the 310 stuff and love it. I used to carry them when trekking in Alaska.

If I remember correctly, bullet resizing was not intended for the 310. The All American bench tool was the proper set up for that. With the large steel handles you might get away with it, if your bullets were only slightly over sized, or you just wanted to use the die to lube the grease bands. Be careful using the aluminum tools for bullet resizing. Those will break, rather than bend.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 9, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
LHB1

Quote: "If you have any dies or parts you want to part with, shoot me a pm with info. "

Mike,
I don't remember what happened to my Lyman 310 stuff when I upgraded to bench reloading in '64. For all I know it may still be packed down in my old army wooden storage box out in the garage. Haven't opened that thing in many years. Who knows what may be inside it. May have to check it out.
Old July 10, 2008, 08:49 AM   #8
mikenbarb

armedand safe, The aluminum ones have just been used for decap and priming and thats what im gonna keep it for because they dont seem like their too strong. I Dont wannna break the aluminum ones and leave the steel ones for the heavier stuff. The new 310 tools are going for over 120 bucks on the site that HOOK supplied.