The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 3, 2014, 01:14 PM   #1
ZVP

Rubber grips suck!

My Midel 10HB is currently mounted with Pacmeyer rubber grips, they have voids where a righthanded shooter needs to rest his trigger finger.Makes each shot unstable for me!
I just orfered a set of Jerry Michulick wood grips. From pictures the grips are hand filling. I bought them through the Blue press
Totally custom grips for under $100? you bet!
Let's cross our fingerw that they work as advertized!
his reputation is spotless
Old October 3, 2014, 01:46 PM   #2
lee n. field

Not a problem with "rubber grips" per se.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 3, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Since Pachmayr offers more than one style, impossible to know which one you have or make such a generalization about rubbers across the board.

You could have tried their other patterns or the Hogues.

What do you mean "voids"?

You may possibly find the Miculek a shade large, I did.
Denis
Old October 3, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

it ain't ever about looks

I find out what stocks help me shoot best.

Yes it takes time and money.

So all my revolvers wear Pachmayr Decelerators (single exception, my NAA Mini), my 1911s wear the cheapest pebbled-rubber Hogues, my Witnesses wear factory rubber panels (wife's S&W M38 wears Pachmayr Compacs).
Because I've tried and tested to find out what works best.
For me.

All my coat linings are torn

Last edited by WESHOOT2; October 3, 2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: and I've had some seriously pretty wood
Old October 3, 2014, 07:27 PM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
Rubber grips suck!
That's a pretty big generalization based on a simple sample, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
They're not custom. And not so simply because JM put his imprimatur on them. If you want custom, get some Herrett's.

Grips are very personal. Wood or rubber, you'll find some you like and some you don't. It's tough to know which it'll be until you use them for a while.

I used JM grips for a while and they they were ok. The undercut where my strong-hand middle rests were a little squared off for me and not undercut enough. Otherwise, they were ok for my purposes.

BTW, it's not something that'll likely be an issue with a Model 10, but the JM grips are known to be rather uncomfy as power goes up. His reputation may be spotless, but even JM didn't use them when shooting major power factor loads in competition.
Old October 3, 2014, 08:23 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I have several revolvers I've fitted with Pachmeyers and all are fine.

Perhaps a few photos showing the "voids" would be helpful to show us what you are taking about?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 3, 2014, 09:14 PM   #7
pete2

I use Pach., Hogue and have JM grips on a 625 and a 586. I don't have a problem with any of them but some work better than others. For me it depends on the gun and the exact grips.
Old October 3, 2014, 09:22 PM   #8
skoro

Rubber grips suck!

I tend to agree.

On my S&W revolvers, I like to have them with Magna grips and a Tyler T-grip. Looks good and grips real well.
Old October 3, 2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Dragline45

Cant say I agree. I have Hogue rubber grips on my Beretta, Ruger 22/45, AR15, and Mossberg 500, I also had them on all my J frames and a Sig 232. While they do not look the best, they can change the whole feel of a gun and feel great in the hands, they are also good at absorbing recoil.
Old October 3, 2014, 09:41 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
I find out what stocks help me shoot best.
That is not the only consideration, for me.

I find that rubber grips cause a cover garment to "climb": if you bend or reach up, a shirt will slide up easily, but not down. When I tried them on my sp101, I often found my shirt riding up on the gun butt. It's not cool with me to be out in public with my (gun) butt hanging out of my pants for all the world to see ....... but that's just me- some folks are cool with that. Some folks juggle geese.....

Also, some wheelguns (Security Six, for one) don't have a lot of clearance even with the factory wood stocks for a speed loader to line up easily with the cylinder ...... add in a bulkier rubber grip, and some speed loaders won't work at all....... something to think about..... speedy reloads can be important, sometimes ....
Old October 4, 2014, 06:53 AM   #11
LarryBG

Yes, rubber grips are too "tacky" for concealed carry, at least for me. They cause my shirt to ride up and expose the gun that I'm trying to hide.
Old October 4, 2014, 08:11 AM   #12
PawPaw

My J-frame is carried in my front pocket and is mounted with a Hogue Monogrip. It's been that way for years with nary a problem.

Back in '82, as a young cop, I switched over to a SW Model 66, like 90% of my brethern, and promptly got a Pachmayr Presentation grip for it. That grip was the old square-butt version, and I simply couldn't get it to fit my hand. Being a young rookie, I didn't have the money to spend on buying and trying grips, but my Dad had a belt sander and a small pistol range out behind his shop. So, I took the gun over to Dad's and spent an hour grinding on that Pachmayr. After about an hour, it fit my hand and pointed to POI. I carried that revolver in a rural beat until 2000, when I switched over to semi-auto after an agency change.

Those grips are still on that revolver. They're not pretty, but they fit my hand like an old set of gloves.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 4, 2014, 08:20 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

There are both "hard" and "soft" rubber grips. There are many different styles (shapes). Not all are the best for a particular job.

I have Pachmyr's on my Ruger Blackhawks, and S&W N frames. Having done so, I will no longer shoot full house .44 Mag loads in a M29 that wears the factory grips! I MUCH prefer the rubber on that one.

Quote:
they have voids where a righthanded shooter needs to rest his trigger finger
is it possible your issues are with the particular set of grips you have? OR just a problem with those grips and your individual shooting style?

Personally, the only place I "rest" my trigger finger when shooting, is on the trigger...

For those who find certain rubber grips too "sticky", you might consider wrapping them with tape. It may fix that problem. It may create its own problems though, so it may not be a good solution for you. Just something to consider...
Old October 4, 2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Siggy-06

I haven't had an issue with any of my Hogue grips on any of my Rugers. Ymmv.
Old October 4, 2014, 09:47 AM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
Also, some wheelguns (Security Six, for one) don't have a lot of clearance even with the factory wood stocks for a speed loader to line up easily with the cylinder ...... add in a bulkier rubber grip, and some speed loaders won't work at all....... something to think about..... speedy reloads can be important, sometimes ....
Not all rubber grips are bulky.

My thinnest grips, in the area that a speedloader needs to clear, are my rubber Uncle Mike's Combat and Boot grips on my Taurus snub. (Spiegel licensed copy, no longer made, check ebay.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 4, 2014, 09:53 AM   #16
lee n. field

Human hands are the most sensitive part of the body, and probably the most variable. I suspect a lot of gun forum squabbles can be traced to this fact.

One size does not fit all.
Old October 4, 2014, 10:07 AM   #17
buck460XVR

Quote:
Let's cross our fingerw that they work as advertized!
Grips are the connection between the gun and the shooter. Fit is important. Proper fitting rubber grips are much more comfortable to me for long range sessions with heavy recoiling magnums than anything wood I have found. I also prefer them on my air-weight .38 EDC. But grip choices are as subjective as the shooter themselves. I too hope your $100 grips work as advertised.
Old October 4, 2014, 10:57 AM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Pachmayr Presentations I put on the S&W 25-5 that I carried in uniform from '82-'88 are still on it today, with the outside lower "edge" well worn down.
Had not the department outlawed revolvers in '88, I woulda finished my career still carrying that same gun & grips on the job.

Those rubbers are still on it because they did fit my hand, and still do, better than anything S&W offered then or now.

A buddy put Pach Grippers on his 25-5 & liked 'em, but they were too thin for me.

I have Hogue rubber on one Ruger GP .357 Mag. Would prefer wood, but their wood dimensions in the same style are slightly larger & don't fit my hand as well. On that gun, those grips work very well.

Have the discontinued Uncle Mike's rubber Boot Grips on my old Smith 64, they work there.

Have Pachmayr Compacts on two Colt Detective Specials, an excellent fit for those & I've never found anything better for them in terms of concealability and hand fit.

And so on.

Can't condemn rubber across the board, it works where it works.
Denis
Old October 5, 2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Ozzieman

My opinion for what it’s worth (same amount as you paid for it.)
They are very well made and the fit is great.
The first time you hold them they will seem odd and not very supportive. These grips are NOT made for target shooting. They are made for what he does best. Fast action shooting. You also have to change your normal grip angle from what you’re used to.
They make your hand set more to the side which gives your trigger finger much better and a stronger pull on the trigger.
I initially put them on one of my 24 target guns and didn’t like them. Put them on the attached 21 and it being my prime carry revolver and spending a short time practicing clearing it from a holster and putting one on target I really like them.
Pachmayr’s are not for everyone. Almost all of my N frames have the small set on them. These are the old single piece grips that I haven’t seen available for some time. Luckily I still have a bunch of them stored away.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old October 5, 2014, 12:18 PM   #20
Guv

They can and will stick to your clothes, nylon or smooth wood won't.
Old October 5, 2014, 01:16 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...One size does not fit all..." Exactly. The Pachmayr's you had didn't fit your hand. That doesn't mean all rubber grips suck.
What's a Midel 10HB?
Old October 5, 2014, 02:11 PM   #22
ZVP

Just bought a Jerry Michuleck Exotic wood Momogrip!
Problems solved!
No more void under trigger finger and the new shape promotes rapid fire D/A shooting

Best $79 you could spend!
My Chief has S&W rubber grips on it (Uncle Mikes) now they fit the gun and the hand!
I don't know why Pacmeyer makes their Presam
ntations so thin???
I'm very satisfied with these grips on my Model 10 HB!
ZVP
Old October 5, 2014, 06:05 PM   #23
Real Gun

My favorite grips for range guns are the stock rubber from Smith & Wesson. I find them too tacky for concealed carry, making it too easy for a shirt to hang up on the grip. At the same time, I love nice wood and good looking guns, so I do stray into wooden grips quite regularly. The square butt style work well for me, as long as the checkering isn't too harsh on the big bores.
Old October 5, 2014, 08:09 PM   #24
S&W-Keeper

I see to many fine revolvers that have rust under the rubber grips.You need to check them often, even on Stainless.
Old October 6, 2014, 05:23 PM   #25
lunger

quote:Human hands are the most sensitive part of the body, and probably the most variable. I suspect a lot of gun forum squabbles can be traced to this fact.

One size does not fit all.

I've been told hands are the second most part, but you don,t want to be puttin the most sensitive part on your gun