The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

Remington 870 temporary removable paint finish question

I managed to paint my remington 870 matte black (with DuraCoat) with the Preval sprayer jar kit and it looks awesome and is holding up quite well. I wanted to give it a green camo paint job to get it fully prepared for this hunting season and I was wondering how I should go about it and what you guys may or may not know. Basically, I'm looking for a quick spray fix that can be removed easily without deteriorating the DuraCoat layer underneath. Would it make sense to use Krylon or any other cheap spray paint? Would Hoppes #9 or CLP remove Krylon easily? if there's anyone out there that can assist me I'd sincerely appreciate it thank you so much! good luck out there!
Old October 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
can be removed easily without deteriorating the DuraCoat layer underneath
That's the issue there. DuraCoat isn't all that much more durable than many brands of rattle can paint. If it'll remove the spray paint, it will likely at least damage (if not remove) the duracoat as well.

Nothing wrong with a little camo paint on your gun though

Old October 14, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I'd contact Lauer and ask what they'd recommend.
Duracoat is tough, but most solvents that will remove most paints will probably damage the Duracoat.

If I'm not mistaken there's strippable or peelable paints made for guns that are easily removed without damaging the original finish.
I know there's special camo tape you can wrap around the gun and remove it easily, and there's stretch gun "socks" made to camouflage guns..
Old October 16, 2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Virginian

You might try bow paint. I used some of that when I was going thru my camo phase quite a few years ago. Made to come off wood bow finishes without damaging anything.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
dwaawd

I've never tried it but have seen it on a s/g and it looks good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camoclad-Pre...0017%26ps%3D54