The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 26, 2016, 11:58 PM   #1
Proz76

SCCY

So what's everyone's thoughts on them. Warranty is unreal. Free replacement for lost or stolen!!
Old January 27, 2016, 12:08 AM   #2
samsmix

I didn't find it to be comfortable in my hand, and neither did my wife. If forced to carry one I would feel well armed, but there were better options for a few dollars more, for me at least.

Beats the heck out of a hi-point for the money. The typical $200 (used) price tag makes them awfully tempting. I haven't heard of any reliability issues. Not tack drivers, but then they wouldn't need to be for their intended purpose either.

Somehow, while I don't REALLY like them, I have a feeling I will own one at some point.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 27, 2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

They are a blatant copy of the Keltec P11. Why not go with the original?
Old January 27, 2016, 04:14 AM   #4
Proz76

CPX-2

True that the founders of SCCY came from keltec. They made many impovements from what I understand! I looked for the best concealed carry gun for a while that wasnt going to kill the wallet.

I came across the SCCY. They make everything right there in Florida, Mag's everything! So I found a good deal @ 250 for a brand new one. I have put 550 rounds thu it with not a single problem!!!

This is not my only hand gun I have s USP and love it but its big and heavy for CC great at the range but not on your hip all day.

I shoot a very good group at 21 ft with it and carry it everyday all day! check out there warranty Free replacement forever against theft or loss.. Thats for the gun NOT the owner. So if you guy a used one, you still get the full warranty!!
Old January 27, 2016, 05:05 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I have used an SCCY for a "truck gun" for several years consequently every week when I am shooting AR's the "little blaster" is taken out and fired by any of the group who wishes. To date it has upwards of a thousand rounds through it without a failure of any sort. Many do, however, complain of it stinging their hand while firing, I do not experience the same while shooting.
My advice is to save a little more cash and get a more popular pistol if this will be your EDC.
Old January 27, 2016, 05:18 AM   #6
Proz76

why would you spend more money on a EDC? a range gun i see spending the money but for my EDC I want something that will go bang everytime and didnt break the bank. If I ever have to use it (pray i dont) Do you want a 1k gun being taken by the police and held for who know's how long. Like you said 1 k rounds no problems with a warranty that cant be beat by anyone!!
Old January 27, 2016, 10:40 AM   #7
qwiksdraw

Quote:
They are a blatant copy of the Keltec P11. Why not go with the original?
Maybe because the SCCY is a better gun.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:00 PM   #8
TomNJVA

The SCCY CPX-2 is one of the smallest and lightest 9mm handguns available, and as such I view it as a CCW only, for up close defense. I use my CZ 75 BD as my home defense gun (along with a shotgun and revolver as backups), but my SCCY is all I carry. I imagine like all small 9mm guns it would not be much fun on the range.

I did some heavy research before buying the SCCY. I wanted a 9mm that was small and light enough that I would actually carry it, could be slipped into a pocket (coat or loose pants), has high capacity, fits my pinky on the grip for control, and a DAO or SA/DA trigger. I was attracted to these features:

- Small (4.0" x 5.7" x 1")
- Light (15 oz empty, 21.7 oz fully loaded)
- 3.1" barrel
- High capacity (10+1)
- Fits all fingers on the grip (with finger extension base)
- Smooth long 9 lb DAO with clear reset
- Double strike capability
- No manual safety
- +P capable
- Large bright white dot sights
- Well made in the USA and reportedly reliable
- Comes with two magazines and four base plates
- Comprehensive life-of-the-gun warranty
- Reportedly great customer service
- Inexpensive (paid $265)

I was willing to pay twice as much, but this gun fit all of my criteria and so far I am very happy with it.

The only negatives I have found are the long reset (may be troublesome if wearing gloves) and incorrect reassembly can make it temporarily inoperable (easily preventable and fixable). I wish it fit as nicely in my hand as the CZ, but a small price to pay for the capacity, and not really relevant for CCW defense.

TomNJVA

Last edited by TomNJVA; January 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:02 PM   #9
lamarw

I carry a CPX-2 most of the time. There are plenty of Sigs, Berettas and S&W's on the rack if I preferred them for carry. It fits my hands just right and the rear pocket of my jeans for toting. I don't worry about scratches or wear.

Their customer service is the best I have ever experienced with any product.

Here is a factory tour: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-factory-tour/

Yes, they are made in the USA under the shadows of the Stands of the Daytona Speedway in Daytona Beach.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:07 PM   #10
BigMikey76

My only real issue with it is that it doesn't fit my hand well. Most grips with built in grooves don't. I went for the PT111 G2 instead, and have been happy. It is really all about how much you like it, as opposed to how popular it is.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

I've seen a lot of problems with them. Slide stops and magazine releases seem to be poorly cast and brittle. The trigger connector broke on a couple of others. They're very sensitive to limp-wristing and uncomfortable to shoot.

It's good that they have a comprehensive warranty. It's not so good that many people have to take advantage of it.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:01 PM   #12
peggysue

Great pistol. Best customer service. I have no FTF. Comes in colors now and 2 mags too! I have a big hand and find their grip design absorb a lot of the recoil. And can be had for $250. The are not a copy of the rather ugly Kel Tec.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+9+3.1+SSOR+10

Last edited by peggysue; January 27, 2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:44 PM   #13
TomNJVA

I read that there were some problems with the first model they introduced, the CPX-1, but that these were supposedly addressed in the CPX-2. The barrel and receiver are machined from bar stock rather than cast.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:57 PM   #14
jasmith85

Quote:
So what's everyone's thoughts on them. Warranty is unreal. Free replacement for lost or stolen!!
That warranty sounds too good to be true. Free replacement for a lost gun sounds too easy for someone to try and rip off the manufacturer. It wouldn't be difficult to call and claim the pistol fell off your boat in the middle of a lake or something and request a new one and you have two guns for the price of one.
Old January 27, 2016, 02:05 PM   #15
lamarw

Partially true TomNJVA, The older version of the CPX which was lets say GEN. 1 and often has the name SKY associated had problems. If you have one of those SCCY will swap you a brand new one of the GEN. 2 version for it.

The CPX-1 has an additional manual safety to go with the long double action trigger pull. The only difference with the CPX-2 is it does not have the manual safety and depends upon the double action long trigger pull as the safety. The CPX-2 is what I chose when SCCY offered me a new pistol for my used gun. (I bought it used)

jasmith85, My understanding is SCCY requires a copy of the police report to document a loss or theft. Not many people want to file a false police report for a $250.00 item
Old January 27, 2016, 04:00 PM   #16
samsmix

They show up in the LGSs often, usually for $200. Hard not to try one.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old January 27, 2016, 08:43 PM   #17
MikeGoob

How are you guys pronouncing 'SCCY'?

They may very well be good pistols, but every time I see it, I hear 'Sucky' in my mind.

Bad marketing?
Old January 27, 2016, 10:37 PM   #18
THEWELSHM

Just got mine back today, my father in law broke the safety at the range. Came back like new good to go, it's my truck gun ..

Thewelshm
Old January 28, 2016, 12:46 AM   #19
CaptainO

I have a Kel -Tec P11

It works, and works well. Why do I need another?
Old January 28, 2016, 02:00 AM   #20
inkie

sccy

I Purchased the CPX 2 for my wife, she wanted a gun to keep around the house. Took her to the range to shoot and become familiar with the pistol. She shot 5 rounds and handed it back to me too much recoil. I used it for a while and here is my honest evaluation. The gun fired any type of ammo I put into the clips, very accurate once you get used to the long trigger pull, I liked the looks of the pistol, only problem the expended shells would hit me in the forehead every once in a while Called the main Honcho and he said I was holding the gun to low. I saw that the ejector was very loose called for a new ejector and pin , they now won't supply parts anymore and want you to send it in. So I made one and no more shells hitting my head. I was lucky with my CPX, if you read the SCCY forum you will see numerous problems, cracked frames, loose pins falling out of the frame, fail to fire, fail to extract, broken firing pins, failure to keep slide open. magazine followers in reverse, and many more problems. Its a nice gun for target practice but I won't carry it because I don't trust it. I sold it for 150..00.
Old January 28, 2016, 08:35 AM   #21
vizsladog

It's pronounced "Sky"
Old January 28, 2016, 02:33 PM   #22
Mrgunsngear

I've been very impressed with the CPX2. It's been 100% reliable to date which is the most important thing ultimately. I do wish the trigger was a little smoother/lighter but for the price---I'm not complaining.

My SCCY CPX2 Review
Old January 29, 2016, 06:00 AM   #23
peggysue

New Game changer from SCCY https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/scc...hot-show-2016/
Old January 29, 2016, 03:05 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Wow- A P11 copy in .380!
I wasn't aware that these defense pistols had a problem with accuracy.....
Old January 29, 2016, 10:38 PM   #25
peggysue