The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 16, 2016, 11:33 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

Have to wonder why

I have to wonder why when I look for Rossi's R46202 Model 462 6RD 357MAG/38SP +P 2" or the R466201 model, It's sold out or not available
It's not because this is a cheap piecee of junk. no way.
Yes, it is not a Smith and it's not a Ruger. The bluing is not super, but the SS is ok
At this price who cares. All I care is does it go bang every time and can I trust my life with this.

This particular model is the finest gun production that Rossi made.
The 3 that I've bought have never failed nor never had problems. I can not be the only one that has experienced this.

I'd like to hear from any one who has bought this model in the past 10 years and
their thoughts. Not what you heard, but what you experienced owning one.

Doc
Old January 17, 2016, 01:07 AM   #2
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Rrroaa

Doc,i believe nobody has acquired the skill and knowledge re; The Rossi 357 Snubbi.So when your speaking,ill be listening and learning.Congrats friend.
Old January 17, 2016, 12:07 PM   #3
ScaryWoody

Doc, my buddy has one and I shoot it when we go to the range. Never a problem. Pull the trigger, it goes boom. Groupings are decent. Same amount of recoil as any other .357 magnum. Prefer to shoot .38 special through it. Not the prettiest hand fitted revolver on the market.

I believe, this is one of the most popular choices for the person that buys and puts away. The price point is generally under $300. The typical purchaser buys the revolver and a box of ammo and archives it in a drawer somewhere. It would be a good buy. I would not hesitate buying a used one. Bought once probably never fired for the most part.
Old January 17, 2016, 01:55 PM   #4
AVG

The wife has the Rossi R46203 SS. She bought it last year for $325.00 down here in Hudson Florida. It is a very accurate gun and is one of the few revolvers that she can pull back the hammer and pull the trigger.

Last edited by AVG; January 17, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old January 18, 2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Dan-O

I think you know how I feel about mine. I have both the 462 and the 461. Swapped out the hammer spring for a reduced power j frame one. The triggers are now better than some of the Smiths that I own....and that is no joke.

Honestly one of my favorite carry revolvers.
Old January 18, 2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Gdawgs

I have a 461 that I've had for about 8 years. I've put lots of rounds through it and have never had any issues with it. The bluing on mine is beautiful. It's a great shooter. The double action trigger pull is a bit heavy, but smooth. The single action trigger is sweet.
Old January 18, 2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

I fully agree with all of the responders. Rossi really made this model very well.
While I can't account for the "Good Ol Days", all I can go on is the past 10- 12 years.
I love my Rugers. They are a marvel of construction. But sometimes, I can't carry my 4.2" GP 100 and I will not trade it in or just buy the 3" model. It's either a 4 " or a 2 " for me.
The only pain in the neck I've ever had is with the Rossi trigger. It cut into my index finger something fierce. So, I spent about 3 months sanding the sharp
edges about 2-3 minutes/day. Doesn't look too pretty but now I feel like I have a Ruger trigger to pull on and i don't bleed or have to wear a bandaid when shooting.
Last comment, as always, my Rossi 2" 357/38 is super accurate for me under 25 yards. Since most experts that I've read say that most things happen under 5- 7 yards or less, then I'm satisfied. But if I am looking at longer distance, then the 4;2" GP100 is the baby for me. Anything heavier, at my age, would cause me to have a hernia.
I'm sure some of us older citizens understand this comment and can relate to this.
Please everyone, this is not your father's Rossi. This is today's version.
Thanks for putting up with me on this.
Doc