The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2006, 03:59 PM   #1
pjsjr

Rem 721 ejection problem

I have a used 721, 30-06. It does not throw the spent case out of the magazine area, I've put a new spring in(I posted on the Remington Society) and it did not help.

After the spring did not help I noticed that every so often a spent case would eject and inspected the cases. The case mouth on the spent cases that would NOT eject were deformed. On the case that DID eject the case mouth was fine(see photo). What is going on here, thanks for any help. Preston
Old August 1, 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The case is obviously striking something. Do you have a scope mount on the rifle that it could be hitting? If not, it may be hitting the right receiver rail. Either way, I suspect the problem involves the extractor in addition to, or in conjunction with, the ejector. The two parts always work together to direct the fired case out of the action. If the ejector looks OK, and the spring is OK, look at the extractor to see if it is in the right position and is not broken or cracked.

Jim
Old August 1, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3
pjsjr

Thanks for your reply, Jim. The gun has Weaver two piece mounts. I did visually check the extractor and it looks OK to my untrained, inexperienced eye. I compared the extractor to my 700 in 223 made in 1995 and the 721's extractor's lip or whatever it's called is different. It's lower and smaller...I'm assuming that it's wear and plan on ordering a new one tomorrow. Thanks again, Preston

EDIT...will the extractor from a 700 work in the 721???

Last edited by pjsjr; August 2, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old August 6, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
RugerNo3

There's a ton of opinions on the interchangability of the M700/M721/M722 extractor. I would get to an authorized Remington repair center for antique/out of production Remingtons. Many smiths want to jam in a Sako or some such conversion, but I wouldn't settle for that. ONLY as a last resort. The Remington extractor is a good simple one and the design has been around for a long time in that configuration. My 722 action is 42 yrs old and on its third barrel and never failed. Near 7000 rounds in 244-6MM and now 308.
Old August 7, 2006, 12:28 PM   #5
pjsjr

RugerNo3, I have been told that the 721 extractors are bulletproof and rarely go bad. I ordered an ejector(mistakenly) instead of an extractor(none available anyway) and will put that in and try it. I need to check and make sure that nothing is a-miss in the chamber and try the new ejector with the new spring.

FWIW, it will eject loaded rounds just like it knew what it's doing. Fired cases are a different matter, most won't eject some do, hence my post. Could there be a timing issue to consider??? Thanks, Preston
Old August 8, 2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Scorch

pjsjr-
the Remington 700 extractor is not interchangeable with the Remington 721/722 extractor. Have you tried Brownell's to find the proper extractor?

Since it extracts some of the time, I doubt it is a broken extractor, possibly rounded off.
Old August 8, 2006, 04:01 PM   #7
pjsjr

Scorch, yes, Brownells didn't have an extractor for the 721 listed, Numerich is out, as is Lee's.

I'm wondering if it is really an extractor issue, because the spent case is drawn from the chamber, just not ejected as I stated above. Thanks for you concrn and if you or anyone has ideas please post. Preston.