The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2001, 01:12 AM   #1
Adventurer_96

I'm really close to buying the 1100 I shot yesterday, I'm just a bit nervous that I'm missing something by not getting a shotgun with a 3" chamber in addition to the 2 3/4". I have never been a hunter, but then up until a few weeks ago I never would have thought of myself as being a "shotgunner" either.

Am I giving up a lot by not having a 3" chamber?

Thanks for all of your help in narrowing down the choices for guns by the way!

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.
Old February 8, 2001, 02:27 AM   #2
DML

I sure wouldn't worry about it. Most of what you will be missing is recoil. I think this "magnumitis" thing is something the gun companies have to do to spur interest in new products.

IMHO, if you can't get the job done with a full power or 2 3/4" magnum, maybe you should take up another hobby. I know that things are a little tougher with steel shot, but skill beats power most days.

Of course, your opinion may vary.
Old February 8, 2001, 09:12 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The only 3" shells used here are specialized turkey and steel shot loads, and for upland hunting, clay games, HD and deer I could get by w/o 3" shells entirely.

In fits of simplification, I oft reduce my upland loads to 2, the AA Heavy trap load, usually in 7 1/2, and the 1 1/4 oz Remington Express Long Range in #6. The AAs work fine for clays also, tho I could probably do better on some shots with 8s, and on other with nukes. Hate those rabbits(G)....

As for your 1100, enjoy, great shotgun.
Old February 8, 2001, 09:41 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Unless your a waterfowler, the 3 inch shell is just a bell and whistle. Even then, most of my steel shot in in 2 3/4 shells.

FWIW, I've dog hunted deer for several years in an active club. (shotguns with buckshot) I'd be shocked if more than 5% used 3 inch shells. Most of us figured out that they are just not needed.

Grab the 1100 - my Dad's is in my safe and it shoots fine. Made in the early 60's... Case or three of shells every year for 30 years, killed my first buck with it, tested lots of buckshot and slugs in it. Broke one extractor. Hard to beat that....

Giz
Old February 8, 2001, 09:51 AM   #5
Coronach

On the other hand...

If you get a 3" (or, God forbid, a 3 1/2" SUPER magnum), you have the capability of shooting magnum AND shorter shells, all from one gun.

So if you're dumb like me and feel the need to go out and abuse and amuse yourself by finding out just how much energy you can dump into an inoffensive little target, get the magnum. That way if you get the itch later on you don't have to blow $300 more bucks on another gun.

Two caveats:

1. This ignores ergonomic factors like fit, feel and pointability, as I have no idea what you like and what the intended uses of the shotgun are.

2. 2 3/4 shells got the job done for many years just fine.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 8, 2001, 07:19 PM   #6
Shok

I shoot 2 3/4" 99% of the time. The other time I use 3" slugs deer hunting. The only reason I use 3" slugs is for more velocity and flatter trajectory.

Shok
Old February 8, 2001, 08:35 PM   #7
PJR

I rarely put a 3" shell through any of my guns. 2-3/4 works well for everything ranging from light target to steel magnums including slug hunting. The only0 3" I have currently is some Federal Premium #4 buck that I keep around for coyotes. I've never felt handicapped shooting 2-3/4.