The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 8, 2013, 07:34 AM   #26
Gator Weiss

The Industry is affected by politics

You will soon see the last of imports. The industry is affected by political action. Moves are in the works to totally shut down imports of firearms and ammo into the USA. It would appear the moves will be rather successful. The industry as we know it is headed for radical change. I wish it wasn't the case.
Old August 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #27
Capybara

Any links or sources for this information? ^^^^^^^^
Old August 12, 2013, 12:00 AM   #28
Ignition Override

Gator Weiss:
Such moves could be a possibility due to Obama having signed the UN Small Arms Treaty. The intended level of compliance is what everybody is waiting to discern in the future.
If somebody wants a semi-auto gun consisting of imported components and he/she wait very long, then all bets are off: Vz-58s, AK-47 or -74 clones etc.

If our Dear Leader were to soon attempt (by way of his new ATF Director?) to block imports of Russian ammo or MN rifles, his buddies in the Kremlin would be offended, and the import blocks could be switched to Serbian (Prvi) ammo etc.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:12 AM   #29
5whiskey

Haven't been around the forums for a while, but I just checked the price of 24/47's today just for giggles. I got mine for $175 shipped to the door in 2009, numbers matching with cosmo in everything. The bore was nice and shiny with virtually no flaws. I looked today at JG sales and saw that they only have mismatched rifles. Price is 259, so it would take $285 or so to get it to the door. Glad I got mine when I did, it's probably worth nearly twice what I paid for it with numbers matching and a sample target (it's been fired, but not very much). Gun is a shooter. It'll hold 2.5moa all day long with the old surplus romanian steel cased loads, which aren't known for hair splitting accuracy. On occasion I get a really good group with this ammo, which tells me it is an ammo issue. Mine really likes the PRVI 198 grain hot (not really hot, more what the gun was designed for) loads, it'll hold 1.5 moa with that pretty consistently.

These are very nice rifles, or at least mine is. I picked mine up specifically for the price and the fact that build construction is pretty darn good. It's not made as well as an early K98, no, but it'll certainly shoot with one. I would recommend picking one up while you still can.
Old August 18, 2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Huffmanite

Visited one of the Houston area Gander Mtn stores recently. They'd remodeled the store and now had a used rifle room. First thing I noticed when in the room, around 25 Mausers and about same number of Mosin rifles.
Mausers all turned out to be Yugos. Think the Yugos were $389 and the Mosins were $179.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:38 AM   #31
Bezoar

no one wants to handle the transfer of these little guns. strange, theyd all rather sell me a ruger american or a mitchells mauser
Old September 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #32
waffenlandser

I purchased my first K98 in 1968 out of a barrel at Western Auto for $35. All matching 27. Well I was earning the princely sum of $430 a month so this was a sizable investment for me. The times they have a changed for sure. Id love the prices of K98s to be like that today but I sure don't want my income to stay where it was.
Old September 13, 2013, 03:55 AM   #33
Ignition Override

You guys reinforce my appreciation of the luck, that I only sold off about 300 rds. of my surplus 8mm Mauser at a gun show a year ago.

For about two years I never touched the gun, not liking the sights, but last winter's panic gave me a new appreciation for the nice 48A, having about 1,800 rds. of Czech and Yugo ammo.