The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 18, 2013, 03:11 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Good ammo for a Remington 700 .308

We bought a Remington 700 SPS recently and took it out to the range. A lot of fun. Anyways we got some PMC rounds (I think, black and red box) as well as some CBC's. The CBC's were labeled 7,62 X 51 mm NATO. The black and red box was more expensive at $20 for 20 and the CBC's were $40 for 50. When we got to the range, both fired fine, however, the CBC's were very hard to eject. Almost every shot we used, we ended up having to set the gun facing up with its stock on the bench and hit the bolt to get it open. The marksmanship instructor at the range showed us how to do it and told us that the brass was too wide or thick and that was why it would get caught in the 700, and to use higher grade or even match ammo.

So what ammo feeds reliably in the 700?

We're just range shooters for right now, no hunting or competition.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

For factory ammo, my rifle liked Federal Gold Medal Match. The 168 gr round shot very well (under 1 MOA) out to 400 yards, and it was only running $20/box.

However, finding any ammo in .308 is difficult right now, much less the most popular factory match rounds in production...
Old March 18, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Metal god

Quote:
For factory ammo, my rifle liked Federal Gold Medal Match.
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I can often find it on sale for $20 a box and the last 2 times I bought some I bought from PSA for $19 a box . At that price and really $25 a box your not going to find better match grade ammo then Federal GMM for target shooting . It is not a hunting round because they use Sierra MatchKing bullets

This is a 1.35" group at 300yds using 168gr GMM

And how about this 100yd 3 shot group

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .