The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
blackhawk8

New Gun

Just got a new Glock 23, whats everyones opinion on whether to clean it before firing it and does it hurt to dry fire it..? Thanks
Old December 20, 2012, 02:32 PM   #2
blackamos

I always clean before shooting a new gun, they don't lube them great from the factory. I use snap caps for all dry firing but I think the manual says it's okay.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, in general, it won't hurt any centire fire caliber weapon to dry fire it - even without snap caps. But I tend to use snap caps as well...when I dry fire my guns.

Yes, I always clean and lube a gun carefully - when I buy it new / and especially if it was used ( I take it down to a bare frame - to check it / and clean and lube it properly ).

I follow the - clean and lube it after every range trip mentality ....some of my buddies think its ridiculous ...but to me, its the same reason I change the oil in my car...get the grit out of it before I fire it a 2nd time.