The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
AR FUN

Remington 870 ejector spring problems

What is the proper method used to replace the ejector spring on an older 2 3/4" Remington 870? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
Old May 13, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Old Guard Dog

My manuals say to return it to the factory since they are riveted in. I have never needed to change one, so I can't say if it can be done easily. Are the rivets loose?
Old May 13, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Work on the ejector assembly of the 870 should be either sent to the factory, or to a gunsmith who has the special tooling, AND who knows how to to it.
Look on the outside of the receiver and you can see the two double-headed rivets that hold the assembly in place.
Do the change wrong, and the rivets have to be replaced and the receiver has to be re-blued so the rivets can be polished flush with the receiver.

It's sometimes possible, using the special tool to remove the spring and re-rivet it without having to refinish the receiver.
If an attempt is made to do the job without the tools, the rivets will protrude from the receiver and will have to be polished down flush, and the receiver re-finished.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:23 PM   #4
REMINGTON DUDE

Dfariswheel has got it right about how to fix it. I have found out from personal experience that a 870 will work fine without it.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
isanchez2008

A couple years back I bought a used 870 that was missing the ejector spring. Since it was riveted in I sent it to my local gunsmith who replaced it and the rivets, ground them flush with the receiver and refinished it for $65
Old May 19, 2009, 05:34 AM   #6
AR FUN

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I spoke to a local smith and he wanted $150 to replace the rail and ejector spring. I only have $120 in the gun. I went ahead and bought the rivets, ejector rail, and spring, and am going to check with a couple of professionals in the area for better pricing. I also bought the tools for removing and staking the rivets from Brownells but thought it might be a little more than I wanted to try. I have 5 different 870s and this one is nothing special, so I might give it a try if I can't find any better pricing. By the way, the above mentioned price did not include re-finishing. I don't have a lot of difficult issues with my firearms, so I probably don't use "smiths" like I should. I have attempted several task on my own. Some have been successful and some ended up in a professional's hands for greater repairs. Thanks again for all the help. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Greg