The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
DaveInPA

How did I ever live without a digital scale?

I just recently got an RCBS Range Master 750 digital scale and I don't know how in the heck I ever reloaded without it. It makes my life at the bench SO much easier!!

Anyone else have a digital scale epiphany?

Last edited by DaveInPA; December 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
BurkGlocker

I have used regular scales for years, but when I came around to the digital side, man, let me tell you, I can load faster and more accurately. But, the other day I used my friend's RCBS Chargemaster and I am really looking to fork out the extra dough for it. That thing is a Godsend...
Old December 14, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
lev83

I have been using the RCBS 750 for about 2 years now and I love this thing. it really does speed things up for me. Nevertheless, I have been considering the RCBS Chargemaster which consists of scale and metering device. My brother has this and it is pure joy. Downside: It is a little pricey but not so when you compare costs of powder thrower and a electronic scale. Upside: consistent/reliable powder charges delivered no muss no fuss.
Old December 14, 2008, 08:05 AM   #4
clown714

my thoughts exactly.

bought mine when they were quite expensive.

but,that's technology for ya.

clown
Old December 14, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
The Terminator

Since renewing my reloading interests, I have used my RCBS electronic scale, exclusively. I have a 505, but I have never even put powder in it. The ES is fast, easy, an accurate. I really like it. I hope to use it today, finish some light 45/70's. I have the battery powered unit, I didn't think that I would like it as much as a 110 volt unit, but the opposite has been true. I can take it anywhere in the house that I take my Lee hand press, and use it. Best - Ted
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 14, 2008, 03:31 PM   #6
amamnn

Still, there are many, many, mossbacks stuck in the 19th century who still deny these facts. A good many belong to the flat earth society, too.
Old December 14, 2008, 04:43 PM   #7
wncchester

"Still, there are many, many, mossbacks stuck in the 19th century who still deny these facts. A good many belong to the flat earth society, too."

You've got that right. And I am pretty sure I once got close to the edge, where things fall off. Spooky!

As a retired electronics tech and 48 year reloader, there are no digital scales on my bench nor with there ever be. Unless one of you GIVE me one! I can't figger out what they do that's so great. ???
Old December 14, 2008, 05:08 PM   #8
DaveInPA

Quote:
I can't figger out what they do that's so great. ???
Speed and ease. No fiddling with weights and waiting for the scale to balance. Put the pan on the scale and get an instant reading. Can't beat it.
Old December 14, 2008, 05:19 PM   #9
The Terminator

Really, isn't it just tomato and tomahto? We use what we like. When I was reloading in my 20's, I don't even know if they had electronic scales, and the Ohaus 505 was just fine by me. Now, I have the electronic scale, and I like that the pan is open and easy to get to, it is very quick, weights changes are shown instantly, and hasn't shown me why I should not like it.

I haven't had the need to move to one of the powder tricklers that I have, I like to weigh every powder charge, the ES is quicker, for me. That being said, never fault the old ways of doing things, usually its been working fine for a long time like that.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 14, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
the_right_reverend

Charge Master is one slick little deal hit the button to drop a charge......fill the case......hit the button for a charge while you seat the bullet........ just don't get out of sink .......
Old December 14, 2008, 05:34 PM   #11
rn22723

The CM Combo is a nice addition to the reloading room.
Old December 14, 2008, 05:59 PM   #12
sserdlihc

Great choice on a scale!! I am still using a partner scale that is about 7 years old. I had a little issue with the scale not zeroing out. However, before i got totally POed and threw it against a wall, I called rcbs. They gave me the number to PACT. They had me up and running in about 7minutes. Great customer service
Old December 14, 2008, 06:18 PM   #13
gigmaster222

If you reload with ball powder theres no point, because it meters so well. So theres really no point to a digital scale. But if stick powders your thing, than digital is definitely the way to go.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:48 PM   #14
DaveInPA

You're right about that. I load with ball powders with the powder measure on the turret press and it's fine, since I'm loading plinking ammo on that setup. But when I load precision rifle ammo with stick powder like Varget, I use an RCBS uniflow and the RCBS digital scale.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:55 AM   #15
RidgwayCO

This post made me smile, because I find myself going the other way.

Years ago I purchased an RCBS 1010 scale, and liked it. Then I got a digital scale and used it exclusively for many years. I've found that if I just leave it on all the time, it's always "warmed-up" and is much more accurate than if I just turn it on when I need to use it.

However, I just recently took the 1010 out of it's box and set it up on the chest-level shelf just above my reloading bench. It's terrific for quickly checking powder throws from my Lee Pro Auto Disk measure. And it doesn't "wander" as much as my digital scale. I still use the digital, but just for things like quickly weighing bullets or cross-checking the 1010. With my RCBS check weights, the 1010 is always accurate, while the digital is often .1gr off.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Inspector3711

I got a Lyman DPS1200 3 digital system a couple of months ago... I hope it lasts for the rest of my life! I kept my old Redding beam scale in case I need to load when the power is out.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:57 PM   #17
Sam06

I have no Idea! My dog would go before the digi scale and the wife would go before I got rid of my RCBS Charge master 1500(Don't tell her though)

I was reloading before they even had a good powder dispenser. I got a Herters one because THEY WERE THE BEST!!! yea right. That was back in 1973 and we all used dippers and made stuff that held just the right ammount of powder. Now the Powder dispensers and tricklers along with the scales are all in a box. I figure in 20 years they will be antiques and worth something. I do check my loads every once in a while with my old RCBS 505, just to make sure that new fangled stuff is still working.
Old December 15, 2008, 04:44 PM   #18
wncchester

"No fiddling with weights and waiting for the scale to balance. Put the pan on the scale and get an instant reading."

I "fiddle" with no weights, I set them where I want them and they stay there. Unless you leave a digital on all the time they drift both zero and calibration. ??

I don't "wait" for my scale to balance, it settles on the mark within a couple of seconds and that's close enough to instant for me. ??

Don't disagree that a digital despensing system would be nice for those who load large volumes at a time but that's different from a digital scale, per se.

And, certainly it would be nice to have a digital IF we are selecting cases or bullets that the variation exceeds +- .5 gr. I don't weigh bullets, never found it to make any difference, and I weigh cases so seldom the balance beam is fine for me.

Don't need any other scale to keep track of my beams accuracy as so many seem to feel they should do with their digitals.

I like "new" stuff as well as anyone IF it has a serious application and not just because it looks cool. To each his own...
Old December 16, 2008, 02:25 PM   #19
CortJestir

My first experience with a digiscale was not so hot. Bought a RangeMaster 750 locally, took it home, plugged it in and the screen read "1998" - couldn't even calibrate or get it to tare. Brought it back to the store for a full refund. I know I got a lemon, but I couldn't exchange it as it was the only one in stock. Oh well...

This thread has inspired me to try it again though - perhaps after the holidays. Until then, I'm happy with my little Lee safety scale for now. I'll probably upgrade that first to a nicer beam before I get another digital, though.
Old December 16, 2008, 02:44 PM   #20
LHB1

My RCBS electronic digital scale (made by PACT?) is quick and easy, except when the weight drifts off. Nagging question, is it the powder charge or something electronic in the scale going bonkers? With my nearly 40 year old Lyman/Ohaus beam scale with magnetic beam damper (same basic scale as current RCBS M1010) I KNOW what the actual weight is because the basic laws of Physics don't develop gremlins and mysteriously change without any warning. And the magnetic damping on the beam scale means it doesn't swing all day yet it doesn't affect the accuracy or reliability of scale. Both scales have a space on my reloading bench and I don't want to get rid of either one.
Old December 16, 2008, 07:16 PM   #21
wncchester

"my nearly 40 year old Lyman/Ohaus beam scale with magnetic beam damper (same basic scale as current RCBS M1010) I KNOW what the actual weight is because the basic laws of Physics don't develop gremlins and mysteriously change without any warning. And the magnetic damping on the beam scale means it doesn't swing all day yet it doesn't affect the accuracy or reliability of scale."

LBH, you make my point better than I!

I also use the old Lyman M-5 scale. Wouldn't swap it but I've never used the expanded scale for reloading so I guess I could live with a new 505 well enough. But, to own a good scale and just use it to keep a very expensive lesser scale honest escapes me!

To each his own...
Old December 16, 2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Hodges87

I have a Dillon D-Terminator Scale, and couldn't imagine reloading with out it
Old December 16, 2008, 10:22 PM   #23
amamnn

I have probably the most accurate and easy to use balance beam scale ever made-- a Bayer pharmaceutical scale -now retired - I agree that once set up there is no need to fiddle with weights although I would calibrate just to be sure-- same as I do with my PACT. Still, I find the digital to be much faster than fooling with the measures and tricklers. I've used Lees and RCBSs and Reddings and Harrells. I just run the unit for a minute to get it used to the powder and off I go--stick, ball, or flake. I load 12 different powders. If I were only loading H335 I suppose I would see no benefit, but that's not my world.........

If I read RCBS's latest ads right--they can now remember powders and specific loads---I wonder if I could give my old unit to my son for Xmas if I cleaned it up real nice?
Old December 17, 2008, 01:39 PM   #24
davidb1247

digital scale

do you have to let the scale reach any particular room temperature before accuracy can be achieved?
Old December 17, 2008, 01:41 PM   #25
DaveInPA

Ummm my instruction manual didn't say anything about it. I turn it on and calibrate it and then use it. I check it against the check weights every now and then and it's always spot on.