The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Hoss4x4

Rabbits and snow

Do rabbits move when it is snowing or do they tend to hide in the deep brush all day?
Old December 1, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Robinson

No rabbits won't move when it is snowing. Not unless you jump them. In my experience they are harder to jump when it is snowing. If the timing of snow is correct and it doesn't snow all night you have the best chance of seeing limited tracks which will lead to less confusion. On rabbit can make a lot of tracks.
Old December 1, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3
jrothWA

Yaaa, they know...

how to multiply, don't they.

It depends on the amount of snow, heavy fall will cause the rabbits to hole-up, till blown over. With sunny days the rabbits will be out foraging and sunnig themselves. The brown fur is very sun absorbing. If very cold temps then they will move less, as temp increase they will be more active.
Old December 11, 2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Nevertoomanyguns

What kind of rabbits. Our snowshoe hares move when it is snowing. When I had beagles I went out in all kinds of weather. I loved it when it was snowing cut a track you knew it was fresh put the dog on the track and let the fun begin.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

Here in Oklahoma, we don't get much snow. I have found how-ever that the rabbits will be very active the next morning, after a snow fall. They don't seem to get out when it is snowing, but seem to be very eager to get out after the snow has stopped.

I live on the outskirts of town, and my backyard is barely inside the city limits. At night, I can spotlight as many as 10 or 12 rabbits in my backyard, right after a 1 or 2" snowfall.

Don't own any beagles now, but when I did, they used to go nuts in the back yard. ( just writing this makes me wish I had them back)
Old December 12, 2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Elephant_Man
Registration in progress

The rabbits up here don't come out when its actually snowing. After its stopped and there's snow on the ground, they'll come out.