The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2000, 06:44 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Hi, everyone.
I just bought a bunch of Rainier .40 cal plated bullets (although it says "Total Copper Jacketed Bullets" and it doesn't say "Rainier" on the box) from the Dillon showroom. They are 135 gr flat points. In all my books, I can't find any load data for this bullet. I found two loads in the Hodgdon manual, but 1) I don't have any Universal or Clays powder and 2) these are loads for 135 JACKETED HOLLOW POINTS.
So that leads me to my questions.

1) Can I use the 135 jhp data for my 135 solid flat points? I'm wondering if the BULLET lengths are different since they weigh the same, yet one is a hollow point.
2) Would any of you mind sharing some of your load data for my particular type of bullet?

As a side note, the powders I have on hand are Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot, and Accurate No. 2. I'm thinking about getting a pound of Titegroup, W291, or WSF. I'm also shooting this out of a Walther P99, which seems to have a Glock-like undersupported chamber.

Thanks!
Old October 26, 2000, 08:42 AM   #2
Mylhouse

Well, I just looked at the Rainier website, and even they don't list a loading for, let alone having in inventory the 135 gr FP.

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?

If you look at your Dillon "Blue Press", however, it is listed in there. Should I make the trek up to the showroom again (I live about 20 miles away), and trade em in on the 155 gr FP?
Old October 26, 2000, 08:55 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

HIGHLY recommend Alliant Power pistol or powders in the 'burn-rate' class (like Blue Dot).
OAL = 1.130+.005/-.003".

TiteGroup is for light straight-wall-case 'cowboy-type' loads; 41 Colt, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, etc.
Old October 26, 2000, 10:56 AM   #4
bedlamite

I use Blue Dot or Universal Clays for all my 40s&w loads, Unique works well too, it's just dirty. Yes, you can use the data for JHP, just make sure you start at least 10% below max. For 135gr, my Nosler manual lists a max of 12gr Blue Dot for 1320fps, and Hornady lists a max of 11.2gr Blue Dot for 155gr and 1200fps. As suggested by Weshoot2, load them long. I load 40s&w to 1.145", or .010" longer than SAAMI max OAL.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old March 9, 2009, 04:53 PM   #5
kekoa1969

That's exactly what I need

I too need a recipe for the Rainier 135gr 40. load. I have titegroup on hand right now, but I'm open to buying another if titegroup won't work. I'll be running the loads in a M&P. Did you ever find a recipe, Mylhouse? Thanks!!!
Old March 10, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Don P

Answer to your question is yes. you can use the data for the JHP bullets. Your OAL will be different with regards to bullet types. Flat nose, round nose, wad cutter. Make a couple of test loads ( NO PRIMER-NO POWDER ) just the empty case and bullet. Check to see how it fits and seats in your barrel and check and see how it fits the magazine and try to cycle the test rounds through the pistol. If all is good use a bullet puller to un seat the bullet from case and proceed to load em up.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #7
D. Manley

Might want to have a look at THIS THREAD where a few TG loads were ran through a Glock 22 in a Ransom Rest. Check the photo of the 15-shot 25 yard group using 4.5 grains TG under the 135 Rainier @ 1.1 OAL.