The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
jclayto

Good powder for .38 and .357... or 2400 for .38?

I am using 14.5 of 2400 behind a 158FMJ and I love the results. I am using it in a auto loading .357 that is finicky and it's working great.

I now want to start reloading my .38. Is there a good load for using 2400 in .38? Everything I have read this far says it's not an ideal powder and will leave behind unburned residue. If not, is there a good powder that would give me similar performance in .357 but also work for .38?

If not.. I really do not mind using a second powder. What do you suggest for .38 special from a airframe revolver? I will be using 158 grain cast swc from mastercastbullet.com

Thanks
Old March 14, 2008, 11:32 AM   #2
saber9

While 2400 is excellent for .357 magnum it is not a good powder at all for .38 special. I have found the best powders for .38 are Unique and AA#5. I have used Unique for over 30 years but am switching to AA#5 because it meters better and seems to be cleaner burning. For snubbie .38's I often use Bullseye or AA#2. They seem to perform slightly better in the short barrels.
Old March 14, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3
somerled

One will find data for 2400 for the .38 Special in old manuals. I tried it around 25 years ago. Then it left a load of little yellow grains in the barrel. It would coat the yoke in front of the cylinder and some would get under the extractor. It also requires more than twice the same weight as a faster-burning powder such as Bullseye or 700-X to obtain about the same velocity.

I've been loading 4.7 grains of Unique with 158-grain SWCs with a Dillon 550B progressive. Unique flows through the measure well. Some measures choke on Unique. A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye is a good substitute. It will run through my old RCBS measure without problems.

These loads are at the top end of standard (not +P) .38 pressure and still pound a fellow's hand well in a S&W Airweight.
Old March 14, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4
brickeyee

Quote:
Then it left a load of little yellow grains in the barrel.
That is smokeless powder with the deterent coatings and graphite removed.
Old March 14, 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Quote:
If not.. I really do not mind using a second powder. What do you suggest for .38 special from a airframe revolver? I will be using 158 grain cast swc from mastercastbullet.com
American Select, if your powder measure can handle flakes. 231 or HP38 if it can't.
Old March 14, 2008, 11:44 PM   #6
bluetopper

For them both try Universal or Titegroup.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:10 AM   #7
jclayto

Thanks everyone, I book marked and printed this thread so I can keep it nearby. It looks like of the above mentioned Bullseye is the only thing available locally so I will try 1lb of it. Next time I am in a sportsmans warehouse or somewhere that has a decent reloading section I will pickup some of the others.

Thanks!
Old March 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Yoosta B. Blue

Looks like you've gotten some good responses, and I'll add a bit to it...

I also use bullets from mastercastbullets.com and have found Mike to be a very helpful and pleasant individual to do business with. Since he is the one who made the bullets I'm shooting in my revolvers, I called him and asked him for any data that he might offer when loading 158 gr SWC in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Taking his suggestions, I have loaded and shot a couple hundred of both calibers. For the .38 loads, I used 3.4 grains of Bullseye, and for the .357 loads, 6.2 grains of Bullseye. I'm happy with the performance.

I recently lucked into a deal where I bought a large quantity of various powders at a very low price. Some of what I have is Hodgdon's HS-6. (I don't think I'd ever even heard of it, much less used it.) Before I decided to sell it or trade it away, I wanted to see if it is something that I can use myself. (I load only for .38 Spec, .357 Magnum, and .45 ACP.) I was fortunate to get ahold of a very knowledgable ballistics guy there at Hodgdon who was willing to educate me as to what I can expect with HS-6. (He likes it in his own personal shooting.)

I was very pleased to learn from him that with HS-6, I can load all three of the calibers that I enjoy shooting, as mentioned above. As we were speaking, he e-mailed, at my request, the load data for HS-6 when using those three calibers.

To try to answer your question about using one powder for both calibers that you like, Bullseye will indeed do so. However, if you are interested in looking at HS-6, here is a portion of the data that he sent me:

For .38 Special:
158 gr LSWC using HS-6, start at 5.7 grains, max 6.3 grains

For .357 Magnum
158 gr LSWC using HS-6, start at 6.0 grains, max 7.0 grains

I think I'll finish up this cannister of Bullseye (about 2/3 gone) that I'm working out of before I try some HS-6, but I'm excited about trying a powder that I can use exclusively for the calibers I shoot, if I find that it is what I like...

Yoosta B. Blue
Old March 17, 2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Bones507

I have been using 231 for a long time now for jacketed and lead in 38 special and i have had nothing but good with it. Meters nicely and is consistent, when i get a flier i know its usually me. I have even used it for 357 when i wanted something more than 38 but not flinch type 357 power. Worked well and i cant complain but when i want some heat i will use the 2400 for 357.
Old March 17, 2008, 11:22 AM   #10
jclayto

Yosta, I too shoot a great deal of .45, what was the load data using HS-6 for .45 acp? I haven't tried to reload for the 45 yet but it's next.

I am going to do some reading into that powder.

I am going out in bit to see if i can remedy the problems with my auto disk that i mentioned in another thread. I fed it some powdered graphite yesterday so now I get to go check it out. If it's working properly I will be reloading very frequently.
Old March 17, 2008, 11:24 AM   #11
crowbeaner

Try some IMR SR4756. You can load it for both the 38 and 357, it burns clean, and is very predictable and uniform. It meters well and gives great accuracy. I buy it by the keg and have been using it for decades. Note that the latest data has been detuned from what it was years ago. I used to shoot 9.3 grains under an RCBS 38-150-KT sized .358 for years. 9.0 was the most accurate charge, and that charge under the original Speer 140 JHP would shoot one hole groups in a couple of S&W M19s I owned. The burning rate is about the same as Unique and AA#5. I used to load 2400 in the 38, but those loads were reserved for 357 guns, as the charges were quite stiff compared to other loads. PM me if you want some of them. The loads listed are max according to the older DuPont guides I have, so work up.
Old March 17, 2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Yoosta B. Blue

Jclayto, the data for the .45 ACP that the Hodgdon's agent sent me:

200 GR. CAST LSWC using HS-6, start at 8.2 gr, max 8.4 grains

YBB