The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2004, 09:00 AM   #1
W. T. Jimbos

Whats the best repro 1853 enfield on the market?

HI my name is James (hence Jimbos)
Im a big fan of the american civil war, i want to purchase a reproduction 1853 enfield for range shoot/hunting and hopefully in the future civil war re-enacting.
I want the reproduction enfield to be the most historically accurate, for a 1853 model enfield that has been shipped from england to the union and confederacy.
Which manufacturer produces the best 1853 model enfield rifled musket historically (please feel free to discuss quality and prices of manufactures too).
Thanks. James
Old July 4, 2004, 01:05 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

By far and away, the best I ever saw was the Parker Hale models that are sold here by Navy Arms.

These are the finest, most authentic ever made, since PH was actually allowed to use the official Tower of London "sealed pattern" gun as a model.

These are pretty well EXACT copies of the original British rifle, and the PH quality was the very best.
These rifles are exact right down to the progressive rifling.

I'm not sure if the current PH rifle is the same quality as the Musketoon Model I had back in the 1980's, but these were/are the best.

I had VERY excellent results shooting Minie balls cast with the Lyman company 565 grain Minie ball mould. This is a heavier, higher quality bullet than the usual "replica" mould casts.

Navy Arms also sells, or sold the PH replica "Sergent's" maintenance tool, which included a spring clamp, screwdriver blades, nipple wrench, and several tools to fit the cleaning rod that were used to remover patches and unfired bullets.

All in all, the entire gun and tool were a "class" set.

http://www.navyarms.com/
Old July 19, 2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Tom2

No Zoli

I don't know if A.Zoli makes Enfields, but they make other CW muskets. The one I got, a Zuave, was a stinker. Got it from Dixie. Lockplate was warped slightly and slowed down the hammer, about 25% ignition! Then the accuracy was non existent with minies, all would group like a shotgun and keyhole! Just not as good as the older Navy arms ones I saw, so I sold it!