The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2010, 10:25 PM   #26
fortkevin2

DG45, I sure won't bud. Have had a crazy day and will get back to you asap. Should be sometime tomorrow. Thanks everyone for being such a great help providing the info.
Old November 2, 2010, 03:33 PM   #27
semohawk

Remington Model 11

Noticed in one of the above post that the information on the barrel reads identically the same as on my Remington, with exception of his reading IOD on the bottom left of the barrel and mine reads MOD, for modified. My serial number located just ahead of the shell insertion slot reads: 1609XX.

Remington answered by query "this gun is indeed a Model 11 made for Browning by during WW2". Yours was made in 1913. Going to request clarification of "Browning by" and during "WW2" Assumed they mean't WW1, not WW2.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:43 AM   #28
DG45

Welcome to the forum, Semohawk.

As you can see from the above posts, Fort Kevin 2 had reported that the last patent date on his barrel was 1903 and we had discovered that one of the patents listed on my 1938 gun was for the 1906 recoil brake, which these days is usually called "friction rings".

Because of this I thought there was a good possiblity that Fort Kevin 2's gun was manufactured by Remington sometime between 1903 and 1906 and that if there was no muzzle brake on his gun, it would be obvious that it was manufactured sometime before the recoil brake was patented in 1906.

Fort Kevin 2 was going to get back to us with a photo of what was under the wood forearm of his gun (that's where the recoil brake is located on mine) but as you can see, he's been missing in action ever since.

Since you seem to have pretty much the same age gun that he had, (your guns serial number is just 5,000 or so numbers higher than his was, and you have the serial number on the bottom of the receiver near the loading port like his early gun did), so maybe you'll be good enough to unscrew the magazine cap and then take the wooden forearm off your gun and post a photo of whats under there for all of us who would like to know if your gun was made prior to the addition of the recoil brake. All you need is a digital camera or a cell phone that takes digital photos. There are instructions somewhere on the forum to walk you through how to do it. If you can't find those instructions, just leave another post on this thread saying so, and I or somebody on the forum will try to find it for you.

Again, good to have you aboard. DG
Old November 3, 2010, 09:14 AM   #29
semohawk

Remington Model 11

I will be happy to do that. Remington responded to my query with: "Sorry, It was made for Browning by us under their patent during WW2 we made them from 1905 all the way through 1948. yours falls during 1913"

Try to get the picture included today.
Old November 3, 2010, 02:01 PM   #30
semohawk

Remington Model 11

DG,

Here is the pict of body underneath the wooden forearm.

semohawk

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg
Old November 4, 2010, 06:41 PM   #31
DG45

Hey Semohawk, thanks for the pix. It looks like you've got the recoil brake improvement that John M. Browning patented in 1906. That makes perfect sense since Remington has informed you that based upon the serial number you gave them, your gun was manufactured in 1913.

I'm trying to figure out (roughly) when Remington began rollmarking the breech bolts of these autoloaders to say MODEL 11, and their receivers with a flying duck hunt scene on one side, and the other side with a flying pheasant hunt scene.

Does your 1913 gun have these rollmarks?
Old November 5, 2010, 02:31 PM   #32
semohawk

DG,

It does not have any marks. This gun was purchased by my wife's grandfather new. Don't know the original price he paid, but would have been interesting to know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0184.jpg (243.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0185.jpg (245.0 KB, 23 views)
Old November 5, 2010, 06:54 PM   #33
zippy13

semohawk, thanks for the pics. Unless I'm missing something, they show the "recoil brake" as described in J. M. Browning's Patent of 13 Feb. 1906.