The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2014, 07:37 AM   #1
rebs

winchester wlp primers 45 acp ?

A friend of mine that shoots with me has a Glock 45 acp. He reloads with Winchester wlp primers and out of roughly 200 rounds has had 2 rounds fail to fire. The dent in the primers look the same as the ones that did fire. Putting the round back in the gun they both fired the second time. Gun or primer problem ?
Old July 6, 2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Okcafe86

Primer probably wasn't seated far enough. First hit with the firing pin seated it fully, next hit went boom.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old July 6, 2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Ozzieman

I use thousands of Win primers every month since that is all I have now and never had a problem with one.
My guess is primer wasn't seated deep enough and its very hard to tell if the primer dent is the same from round to round.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 6, 2014, 07:59 AM   #4
9miller

If the problem persists, have him disassemble the slide and check the firing pin chanel. I got some light strikes at the range once and thought it was the primers not being seated all the way when in reality it was that my firing pin extrusion was questionably short. I disassembled the slide and in the firing pin channel was primer shavings and brass from the case head upon ejection possibly. CLP and a long qtip will take care of that.

9miller
Old July 6, 2014, 08:16 AM   #5
243winxb

Glock

This - disassemble the slide and check the firing pin chanel. Velocity of the firing pin can be slowed by dirt. http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe...2017%20Striker I use WLP in the 45acp with no problems.

Last edited by 243winxb; July 6, 2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:54 AM   #6
jag2

Yes, before he starts taking things apart start paying closer attention to the primer seating. The fact they lit off on the second try is almost 100% proof they weren't seated deep enough. It happens, I done it before and probably will again. The 45 can be extra tough if you have a tight primer pocket or certain brands of primers. I use the Lee Auto prime and believe me I really have to squeeze hard on some occasionally. An easy test is just place the round on a very flat surface (bottom down) and see if it wobbles at all. (it shouldn't) Unfortunately this doesn't always work depending on the brass but its a good way to start.
Old July 6, 2014, 10:15 AM   #7
mikld

Neither primer nor gun. Primers that fire on second hit indicate poorly seated primers...
Old July 6, 2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Airman Basic

A fingertip across the seated primer tells me if it's flush. If not, put it aside 'til the tool's empty and hit it again.
Old July 6, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
totaldla

Good advice here. The firing pin channel of a Glock typically never gets looked at because it is not intuitively obvious how to disassemble, and it gets crudded up from people oiling it. So that would be my first thing to clean.

It is real easy to make slightly high primers with 45acp. Most modern 1911s have such a huge, long firing pin that hits with such force that the cartridge could be laying on the ground and it will go off. Glocks not so much. It gets worse with short brass where the cartridge is hanging on the extractor instead of squashed onto the casemouth. Sometimes when you stack all the min/max dimensions it is a wonder these things ever work
Old July 6, 2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Ole 5 hole group

I would say the odds are 1% firing pin channel and 99% poorly seated primer.

The WLP doesn't leave any more crud behind after firing than other primers but one should clean the primer pockets after 3 or 4 firings and I doubt you would ever run into a "high" primer unless you short stroke the the machine.