The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 24, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Metal god

Vortex strikefire dot problem

Hey guys , just took my new strikefire out of the box and turned it on . It has a 4 MOA dot but when I look at the dot it looks like a cluster of 6 or 7 little tiny dot . It appears to be oblong as well . It seems to be worse in low light . It is not as bad outside in the sun but is still there .I assume this is not good and wanted to see if anybody else has seen this with theres and if so what did you do .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 24, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:35 PM   #2
big al hunter

The extra dots are how they make the intensity of the dot change. Mount it and look through it. I suspect you were too close and slightly angled in your sight picture to cause oblong dots. If it still looks wrong when on the gun, contact Vortex. They will fix it.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Venom1956

It could also be an issue with you eye.

Best way to test it. Take your camera on your phone and look thru the reddot that way. It will show you what it looks like without any human error. Also making a pinhole in some paper and holding it close to you eye might clear up the dot aswell. Try those solutions out then let us know.

my GF cannot see reddots with her eyesight I learned about this the hardway.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 24, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
breakingcontact

Quote:
This was my first thought. Not a "major eye issue" but just a common issue w eyes.

However, depending upon the setting you have it on, it may go away if you dim it down?

The one time I messed w a red dot, I found it far less offensive when I dimmed it down.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Metal god

OK I did a quick mounting of the sight . It still does it . In fact it's worse now that everything is solid and and i have a good cheek weld .

When It's bright its a pretty big bright oblong cluster . When I turn it down I can count all the little dots . There's more then 6 probably more then 10 . OK now here is the messed up part . when I co-wittiness all that goes away and it's a small little dot That means it's my eyes right ? sucks getting old . What I'm seeing through the dot is a joke . No way I can live with that sight picture and I HATE to co-wittiness . My $35 UTG red dot looks better then this . This is not a rant , It's a , so bummed this is not working out kind of thing . Any ideas .

EDIT : I was just looking through it again . It is defanitly me , The more I blink my eyes the better it gets but then it goes all wacky again . I whare glasses maybe they are at the wrong focal plain/spot .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 24, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:10 PM   #6
big al hunter

Have someone with younger eyes look through it.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Carne Frio

If you want go get Vortex involved try this link.
I did a couple of years ago and it was very easy
to get a replacement unit. Mine had a different
type of problem. They answered my email within
30 minutes and sent me a shipping label. I then
printed the label, sent in the scope and 9 days
later had the new one.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/contact_us
Old May 25, 2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Pahoo

The dot is fine !!

Quote:
I have found that this is mostly caused by one's corrective glasses. Just last week, my buddy and I were looking at a RedDot and right off, he saw the distortion. I always do but mine was different. I always expect this and asked him to remove his glasses which he did and the dot was as it should be. Again, I have only seen this with corrective lenses but that is not saying that it doesn't happen with the naked eye !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Destructo6

I have an astigmatism in my right eye, but not my left.

All lighted reticles (ACOG/Eotech/Aimpoint/Strikefire/etc) appear to be smudged when viewed with that right eye. Looking at the same with the left, no oblong or smeared effect.

Keep all of them clean.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Metal god

Well it's getting better the more I look through it . 2 things I have noticed and they are really a DUH moment for me . 1) When I quickly bring the gun up and look through the sight . The dot is small with no distortion at first and stays for the most part a nice size . 2) If I don't look at the dot it self and just the target at 25 to 50 yards away the dot is better . It still has some sun burst to it but really not overly bad . Not sure why yet but the red dot is better then the green dot as far as distortion goes .

The funny thing ( to me any ways ) about this thread is . I think I could have avoided this thread all together if I would have just had some patients and work through all this stuff like I would have with any product I buy . I was posting as I noticed thing with out giving it a true evaluation proses . I do think the thread helped me understand the issues faster though , maybe it will help others .

Thanks guys , I think the sight is fine and I will just need to get used to looking through it .

Old May 25, 2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Pahoo

Patience and Trust.

I own more RedDots types than I can count, at this time. I've often commented that these are a learning curve and one should be patient with them and themselves. In short time, your mind will "program" itself to work with one and the process is natural and surprising. ....

Just superimpose the dot onto the target and trust that the shot will be there. For the most part, I don't think I consciously see the dot. .....

Trust and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Nathan

All of the good ones look like that. The cheap ones are able to make round dot, but they flare at brighter settings in a weird way.
Old May 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #13
Venom1956

did you try the two tests i recommended?

Small pasty peep sights for eye glasses are available to 'sharpen' your vision.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 25, 2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Metal god

@ venom - I did the camera test but my camera would not focus on the dot . It just looked like a big blurry dot . I did not do the pin hole thing cus I figured it was the same thing when I co-witnessed and all the problems went away . That's was what told me the problem was more me then the optic .

Old May 25, 2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Venom1956

I must have missed the co witness comment!

I am glad you found out what the problem was... Sadly in this case I was crossing my fingers for a bad sight.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:58 AM   #16
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Have you had anyone else look through it yet?

I have a Strikefire, and have had it mounted on a 12 gauge shotgun also on a 10/22 in the past; currently on a 10/22. Works just great on both.

Just curious to see if it is you needing to visit with the oppies or if the dot needs a trip back to the mothership.

To paraphrase Papa Bing, I am starting to play a little trombone myself...

Either way, it should be "correctable"...

Now, go figure...
Old May 26, 2013, 03:31 AM   #17
Metal god

Quote:
Have you had anyone else look through it yet?
No not yet . It is something I plan to do . just have not had anybody over yet . Don't really feel like taking it any where .

Old May 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Pops1085

If it is the sight, you should give vortex a call, their customer service is awesome!

Sorry still a little high on how nice they were. It's refreshing to know some companies are still trying.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:40 AM   #19
doofus47

Venom1956:
Quote:
I have a bit of astigmatism in my right eye. I thought I had a similar "bunch o grapes" issue with the dot on my Burris Fast Fire 3. I gave it to my wife and she said "dot."