The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1
carprivershooter

questions about loading 223

I have reloading for several years now. I have only reloaded straight wall cases. .380, 9mm, 40cal, 38cal, 357 cal, 45acp, 45 colt, 44Rem, and 44 mag. Now I am thinking about an AR 15 type rifle and I want to reload for that also. I know there will be differences. My biggest concern is the shoulder. I have not found a good discription of this process. I wonder about case resizing, the effects on the shoulder. can someone direct me to a good source. thanks
Old March 28, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Incognito

You're going to want and get yourself a case length gauge. Lyman, L.E. Wilson, and Dillon make them. Here's a how to: gswagner.com.
Old March 28, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3
steve4102

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm
Old March 28, 2011, 09:36 PM   #4
carprivershooter

THanks

Thanks guys. I had read the Speer article. now I know about the case go no go gage. So I guess I need buy a weapon buy some dies, powder. bullets, heavy primers, brass and get started. Oh yea a couple more articles on loading shouldered cartages.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:02 AM   #5
chris in va

You don't need 'heavy primers'. Regular small rifle works fine.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:12 AM   #6
M.O.A.

yes cci smalls is what i have had good luck out of
Old March 29, 2011, 02:34 AM   #7
PIGMAN

If you are reloading for a semi auto rifle use RCBS small base dies plus a Lee loader crimp die for best results.Otherwise just reload as you would any other rifle round.You will find rifle ammo easier than reloading straight case pistol brass at least I do.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:16 AM   #8
PA-Joe

With semis your better off full length resizing so that they will always feed so you don't have to worry about the shoulders too much. Key is not to over lube them and learn how to wipe the necks before you put them in the sizing die. If this was a bolt action you would want to minimize bumping the shoulders back. This extends case life.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:04 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Do not use Remington no.7 small rifle primers for .223 Rem. They will pierce. It says on the primer box not use them for high pressure rounds. If you use Remington primers use the Benchrest or magnum Small rifle primers to avoid problems.

I load a lot of .223 for a bolt action. I also have loaded for several friends that have AR rifles. I use the RCBS Small Base Die for the inital full length sizing for the loads used in them.
Old March 29, 2011, 03:15 PM   #10
steve4102

Quote:
Do not use Remington no.7 small rifle primers for .223 Rem. They will pierce.
Remington 7 1/2 primers ARE the recommended primers to use in the 223 and other high pressure rounds. It's the 6 1/2 Small Rifle that are not recommended for the 223 and will pierce.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:45 PM   #11
MauiMontana

i load lots of .223 for ARs and so far my best combo is.....

using Forster bench rest dies
loading BHA match brass (cleaned,trimmed with forster original case trimmer to 1.755", deburred, chamfered, P.P. cleaned, etc.)
with 25.5 gr. Varget powder
under a sierra matchking 69gr. HPBT
seated 2.26"
fired with CCI #400 primers

this is my 300-500 yard load out of a 1:7 twist krieger barrel fitted on a bushmaster flat-top upper. using a 24x mil-dot scope i have been able to shoot the folded up tabs off of beer cans at 400 yds consistantly.

also good tip from p-joe, .... don't overdue the lube when sizing your brass.... (might screw with your shoulders) and not always necessary to full-length size. (idea is to "fit" each cartridge to your chamber) then just size the throat, etc.
Old March 30, 2011, 06:41 AM   #12
gregjc9

Here's a great souce of info to get you started on reloading for the 223.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

I started reloading for mine, and it's an interesting process. Here are some observations from a noob, based on a lot of research and trial and error:
- full length size for an AR
- unless you're shooting very long range, dont worry about where your lands are for an AR. Load your rounds so they will fit in the mag. 2.250-2.260 is about the max in my books (IIRC).
- DO NOT get the RCBS Precision Mic if you're loading only for AR. Instead get the shoulder guages that clamp onto your caliper.
- You WILL be testing a lot of different loads to see what bullet weight and powder works best in YOUR AR. Barrel twist rate will determine what bullet weights to test.

Good luck and have fun.

Greg
Old March 30, 2011, 08:37 AM   #13
dlb435

Take your time and keep at it. I had a problem that drove me nuts with my 223 rounds. I was using RCBS dies and a Lee shell holder. Turned out that this combination does not work. After a lot of trial and a lot of error, I got an RCBS shell holder and all was fine.
The 223 cases are so small that there is little room for error in the loaded rounds. Try using a proven set up and keep at it..... and don't forget to get that case gauge.
Old March 30, 2011, 08:59 AM   #14
CenterFireBrass.com

RCBS small base sizing X-Die and Lee factory crimp die.
Old March 30, 2011, 09:36 AM   #15
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Remington 7 1/2 primers ARE the recommended primers to use in the 223 and other high pressure rounds. It's the 6 1/2 Small Rifle that are not recommended for the 223 and will pierce.
Yup, Remington 7 1/2 work just fine, and are recommend for the application. I've used them without any trouble in multiple ARs.

I see lots of folks recommending the small base die. I wouldn't use it unless you have trouble with a regular full-length sizing die. I have two ARs, and neither of them have any trouble chambering brass that has been full length sized in a regular die.
Old March 30, 2011, 10:48 PM   #16
carprivershooter

Thanks

Reading your post is like reading a manual. Thanks everyone for your input. what a education.
Old March 31, 2011, 02:10 AM   #17
Tim R

Quote:
Yup, Remington 7 1/2 work just fine, and are recommend for the application. I've used them without any trouble in multiple ARs.

I see lots of folks recommending the small base die. I wouldn't use it unless you have trouble with a regular full-length sizing die. I have two ARs, and neither of them have any trouble chambering brass that has been full length sized in a regular die.
+1 100%.