The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
CharlesSmith

Casing Material Alteration

Question for you all:
Casings are usually made from Brass with a copper/zinc alloy. However, I want to magnetize a casing, and none of these elements are ferrous.
Is it possible to make a casing with a high iron content while achieving proper obturation? I ask because I'm investigating a method of rifling rounds without grooves in the barrel.
Old March 18, 2009, 09:45 AM   #2
madmo44mag

One thought that occurs is a metal insert cast into the head land of the case????
Old March 18, 2009, 09:53 AM   #3
CharlesSmith

aaah, yes...it would have to be between the propellant and the head, so as not to come out the barrel as another projectile...of course that seems to necessitate a longer anvil/flash hole, depending on whether it's a Berdan or Boxer primer. Would that be a problem?
Old March 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mild steel cases have been used successfully for small arms ammunition for nearly 100 years.

Mainly military, but some commercial, well.

Most steel cases come out of Europe and Asia in Combloc calibers, 7.62x39, 14.5x114, 9mm Makarov, things like that.

The United States during WW II made steel cased .45 ACP ammo. I don't think the US ever made steel cases for .30-06 or .30 carbine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:22 AM   #5
CharlesSmith

Ah, but I want to try this on a .50 cal round...which I believe have a brass casing. In any case, does anyone know if there is a significant increase in muzzle velocity firing smooth-bore?
Old March 22, 2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Shoney

I can see magnetic cases as an asset in hard to find small cases or for finding brass from far flinging weapons. However, why in the 50BMG???????????????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Tags
brass , cartridge , rifle , rifling , round