The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 14, 2014, 04:31 PM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Looking for a good pistol can but havent made a choice yet
Octane 9 or 45. Hands-down the best pistol can on the market in my opinion. Here's a comparison thread I started about it:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534697
Old February 14, 2014, 05:00 PM   #27
Sharkbite

Ive been looking at the Osprey in 45

I like the low profile top. Id like to not have sight issues

Ive got a sdn-6 and a 22lr can waiting on tax stamps so this will be a strictly pistol cal can. Mostly 40.

That being said is take apart needed??

Last edited by Sharkbite; February 14, 2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added info
Old February 14, 2014, 07:05 PM   #28
Sharkbite

Well... After a bit more research, i just pulled the trigger on a Octane 45

Thanks for the info Theohazard...and again, let the wait begin

Last edited by Sharkbite; February 14, 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added info
Old February 14, 2014, 08:09 PM   #29
Theohazard

Great choice! I have an Octane 9 and I love it.

Yeah, the only reason you NEED to take apart a can is if you're shooting .22 or un-jacketed lead bullets through it. But it still makes it a lot easier to get the carbon buildup out. And the Octane is stronger than the Osprey and it's a heck of a lot easier to change out the piston if you want to put it on a barrel with a different thread pattern.

Also, I have never seen regular-size pistol sights that will let you see over the top of an Osprey; you usually need higher sights even with the Osprey's lower height. But I don't bother with higher sights anyway; as long as you can see the front site clearly it's not a big deal.
Old February 16, 2014, 08:56 PM   #30
Lonestar06

1. What convinced you to buy a sound suppressor? They were something I have always thought would like to have, but had other priorities. Went to a Silencer Show ind Dallas and shot several different rifles, AR's, and a 50 Cal, I was hooked. Went home and started the process to get a trust and purchase a suppressor.

2. Was it worth the time and effort? Absolutely, I got mine in 6 months which now appears to be pretty quick. I use it hunting, and at the range, much easier on my old ears.

3. Was it for a pistol or a rifle? Rifle

4. What manufacturer? AAC SDN-6 for use on my 5.56 & 6.8.
Old February 26, 2014, 11:04 PM   #31
Sleuth

1. Why? Because I could.
2. Hassle? What Hassle?
3. Rifle or Pistol? MP5 Subgun
4. One of Dr. Dater's Finest
Old March 15, 2014, 12:27 AM   #32
Machineguntony

I bought silencers because I want to 1. Impress the girls; 2. Look cool while carrying my silencer attached to my concealed handgun (and benefit 2b. While carrying concealed, it looks like I have an extra long penis); and 3. Be an urban assassin with a gun that goes phew phew phew.

Invest implies that the value of a silencer goes up. I have heard people mention that they're collectible and retain their value. For example, the guy in this article states that they don't lose value...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12...d-the-way.html

These people are mistaken. A silencer is a consumption purchase that, the moment it leaves the store, is worth nearly zero. There is practically no resale market for silencers.

Buy one because they're awesome and they protect hearing, and because they make your gun 10,000x times cooler.

* on a side note, I seriously did buy a silencer for concealed carry. It is one that I am waiting on. Its a short, compact little silencer for a 9mm. How well it works or carries is anyone's guess. I bought it just out of curiosity. Here it is...

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/aac-ti-rant-9s
Old March 16, 2014, 11:57 PM   #33
Willie Lowman

Good answer, Tony. You win the internets tonight.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:46 AM   #34
NorwegianShooter

Suppressors does not need to be registered here. You don´t even need a gun license. So basically everyone use one for hunting and range work on their bolt actions. They are a little less common on handguns, but perfectly legal. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anyone who import the US-made ones and I´d give my left pinky for an Osprey.

With that in mind, on a rifle there is really no reason NOT to use one. It saves your hearing, reduces recoil and they are not hard to get. I use a B&T Impulse on my Mk23 and a SAI (Danish) on my Buckmark so I can shoot in my backyard without bothering the neighbors. Simple as that.

Norwegian and other European manufacturers inklude B&T, Hausken, A-Tec, SAI and others.
Old March 19, 2014, 08:10 PM   #35
reticle

My decision came because I bought a pistol that was designed to be used with a suppressor and illuminator as a kit. I liked shooting suppressed so much, I bought one to fit another gun. The latest suppressor I bought is a collector item and came at great cost. It belongs to a specific gun too.

It was worth the wait. The first was the hardest because I had to endure the anticipation without another to relieve my curiosity.

All three of mine are for pistols. My next will be for a rifle.

All of them are Knights Armament