The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
lr60pilot

Looking for Info/Advice

I am contemplating buying a handgun and taking some courses. I have never fired a handgun or any gun beyond a BB gun for that matter. Shooting has always been a desire of mine but I have never had the means to participate in it. I am seeking advice on where to take classes, what type of class to take (concealed weapon or some other type class?), what type of handgun to buy, where to buy, etc. I am in Columbus, Ohio and would appreciate any help you guys/gals have to offer. Thanks!
Old December 5, 2005, 12:24 AM   #2
CTC01

Guess I would start by asking around local gun clubs or ranges, check with gun dealers also. Local law enforcement may have somthing offered.

As far as a gun, all depends on what YOU like and want. I'm a revolver guy but I get laughed at alot too .

I must say I do like the feel of a 1911.
Old December 5, 2005, 12:50 AM   #3
CelticMP

Gun Ownership

Well as CTC said gun ranges and gun clubs are great places to begin. As far as classes or schooling goes, I for one would want to get the feel of my weapon before going to a Concealed Hand Gun Permit Class. You need to be able to control it and put you shots on target before you take the step towards Concealed Carry.IMHO. Most Ranges have atleast 1 partially trained person who can help you on your way to getting the most out of a day on the range. Research and find a caliber of pistol suits your needs for reliability, safety, accuracy, and price. When all 4 of those line up, you found your first pistol.
Old December 5, 2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Pharley

I am not far from you in Ohio.

Strongly recommend you take at least a CCW class and get your permit. A lot of CCW classes often extend their services into a basic intro class for beginners. Here they go beyond what is required to get the permit, and show you more on how to handle, shoot, and care for a gun.

As far as looking for firearms, I suggest Vance's, which is on Cleveland Ave. They have an awesome selection of guns, new and used. Always weekly sales, and whoever you deal with will spend as much time as you need with handling firearms and questions.

R-
"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets, NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."
Old December 6, 2005, 12:46 AM   #5
lr60pilot

Does Vance's have a website? Does anyone have experience with the New Albany Gun Range in Ohio whether it be for shooting or retail experience?
Old December 6, 2005, 12:57 AM   #6
MarkV

www.packing.org is a great place to find information about your states laws.