The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 27, 2015, 04:45 PM   #51
Model12Win

The Webley doesn't have NEAR the "love" as the SAA does in the United states: the largest gun buying group in the known universe.

I'd imagine most of the people who'd love a Webley clone... are not legally allowed to ever own one (i.e. Great Britain).

I sure wish they get made though, and in a caliber that's more common these days!
Old March 28, 2015, 03:22 PM   #52
garyhan

A possibilty would be for Webley to offer a 12" barrel version, which would be UK legal (though weird).

gary
Old March 28, 2015, 05:07 PM   #53
DPris
Member Emeritus

Still not enough market.
Denis
Old March 28, 2015, 05:37 PM   #54
Model12Win

Only time will tell.

Maybe a Webley in .380 ACP would be good, should be low enough power and could use moonclips.
Old March 29, 2015, 09:49 AM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Maybe a Webley in .380 ACP would be good
Not sure. I think maybe the .380ACP might be too high pressure to be a good fit in the original Webley gun design. The size would be ok, but even if the pressure is safe, still wouldn't be much market for a bulky revolver over a slim 7-8 (more?) shot auto.
Old March 29, 2015, 11:05 AM   #56
DPris
Member Emeritus

I would not pay $1000+ for a large revolver with a heavy trigger & mediocre sights chambered for the .380 & VERY few others would, either.

That route could not fly.
Even if they built it on the smaller .38 frame.
Denis
Old March 29, 2015, 12:10 PM   #57
Model12Win

Hmm... well this just makes me wonder, what cartridge will the new Webley be?
Old March 29, 2015, 12:50 PM   #58
DPris
Member Emeritus

The large-framed Webley's only real appeal for most is in its nostalgia factor.
It IS a sturdy design, when fired with the calibers it was originally developed around, large frame or small frame.

It is NOT a superior revolver in either design, ergonomics, strength, or general utility.

Aside from the questionable "advantage" the ejection offers (which advantage is at least partially off-set by the inherent relative weakness of the design), it is harder to shoot well in DA, the sights are not very good, and it is overall less of a performer than a good revolver in a more available and/or powerful caliber with a better selection of bullet types for serious use.

I'm not knocking the classic, just pointing out it'll be a niche gun with most of its appeal as a curio, rather than a working gun.
Even more so if in a now-obscure caliber (.455) or a pipsqueak caliber (.380).

Denis
Old March 29, 2015, 01:09 PM   #59
buck460XVR

Quote:
The large-framed Webley's only real appeal for most is in its nostalgia factor.

It is NOT a superior revolver in either design, ergonomics, strength, or general utility.

Aside from the questionable "advantage" the ejection offers (which advantage is at least partially off-set by the inherent relative weakness of the design), it is harder to shoot well in DA, the sights are not very good, and it is overall less of a performer than a good revolver in a more available and/or powerful caliber with a better selection of bullet types for serious use.

I'm not knocking the classic, just pointing out it'll be a niche gun with most of its appeal as a curio, rather than a working gun.

I think most folks with a curiosity of owning one of these knows this, or at least should. I think this gun and those that show an interest in it falls along the lines of those ranting for a "new" Python. Many talk the talk but will back off when the price tag finally shows up and they need to walk the walk.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:57 PM   #60
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
have NEAR the "love" as the SAA does
Also wouldn't have NEAR the supply. Like I said, thre must be ten or more SAA clones of some variation and MANY similar, but not quite clones. How many historic break tops are on the market?

I'd pay as much or more for a break top as I did for my Ruger single six. I wouldn't be able t get my VISA out fast enough. Probably up to $750 without pause.
Outside the 22lr I'm not very interested though. A novelty firearm I can't take to the range every trip is not a novelty I want to own.
Old March 30, 2015, 09:53 AM   #61
Model12Win

Quote:
or a pipsqueak caliber (.380).
Not so. The British found the .38-200 to have excellent stopping power. The .38 special Super Police load, which had a 200 grain round nose bullet was also know to do much more damage than the standard 158 grain round nose.
Old March 30, 2015, 10:50 AM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The British found the .38-200 to have excellent stopping power.
I have spoken with some British WWII vets, and read accounts from others (including WW I vets) that disagree with the use of "excellent" describing the .380's (.38/200, .38 S&W) stopping power. "Adequate" with the lead bullet, and "lacking" with the FMJ is what I heard from them. Other than the size & weight of the pistol, they were, as a group, much happier with the .455.

Other folks might have different opinions....

Quote:
The .38 special Super Police load, which had a 200 grain round nose bullet
This load has its drawback, as well. Tests showed that, fired from the regular 2 inch detective special, it would not reliably penetrate a (pre-safety glass) car windshield, although it would from the longer barreled service revolvers.

Clearly not a good choice for every gun.
Old March 30, 2015, 10:53 AM   #63
DPris
Member Emeritus

Two things:

Do not confuse or equate the .38/200 with the .380 ACP.
The .38/200 did not have excellent stopping power.
Denis
Old March 30, 2015, 11:09 AM   #64
micromontenegro

I find it weird that some are trying to point out that this thing is not a practical, modern gun. Of course it is not. If it ever comes to fruition, it will be a range toy and conversation piece. To pore over and have fun, not to take on the zombie apocalypse. As such, I would love to own one.
Old March 30, 2015, 06:18 PM   #65
DPris
Member Emeritus

And as such, that's what limits its market.
Denis
Old March 30, 2015, 09:09 PM   #66
wpsdlrg

Hmmm. I handled a Mark 1 a few weeks ago, which I happened to see in a local gun shop. Actually felt better in my hand than I expected. Interesting design - I wish the break action design was suitable for modern loads. The ergonomics are not bad, I think. However, the bore axis is WAY too high.

In summary, I find the Webleys to be interesting old guns and I appreciate them as historic artifacts. But, I have no real interest in owning one, let alone a modern version.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:45 AM   #67
micromontenegro

Quote:
And as such, that's what limits its market.
Denis
Oh yes. I bet that (if they make it) they'll lose money on every single one. But it would be a classy move, that could bring other benefits.

Makes me recall when, for 2000, Nikon made a special run of the 50's S3 camera. Big effort, even bigger money loser. Each camera retailed at 1/3 of the cost, and even at that price point they were slow sellers. But Nikon thought it was such a prestige maker that they pulled a similar stunt in 2003.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:58 AM   #68
rodfac

Thank goodness....the world's ugliest revolver is making a come back....and with the plethora of ammunition available for it, it should be an instant success!! Rod...an a polite "sorry for the sarcasm" for all of you who love this old war horse.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 8, 2015, 11:16 AM   #69
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd like to see the final delivery price first.

I'd also like to see the Webley Fosbery semi-automatic revolver. It was mentioned in Bogart's The Maltese Falcon.
Old April 9, 2015, 11:04 AM   #70
44 AMP
Staff

It was the gun used to kill Sam Spade's partner, Miles Archer.

Spade comments on it, "they don't make those anymore..."
Old April 10, 2015, 05:38 PM   #71
lee n. field

Quote:
It was the gun used to kill Sam Spade's partner, Miles Archer.
I'm pretty sure that was a Webley-Fosbury.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 10, 2015, 10:08 PM   #72
johnwilliamson062

I'm more than willing to pay good money for a range toy.
I'll pay even better money for a range toy that also has some sort of faux collector appeal.
I won't pay much money at all for a gun that is too expensive for me to take to the range and has legitimate historic predecessors on the market at a lower price. Why wouldn't I just buy an original off gunbroker if I wanted a true collector and conversation piece?
Old April 17, 2015, 10:06 PM   #73
johnwilliamson062

I just saw an auction end for a H&R sportsman premier nickel plated, probably not factory original from appearance. Not mentioned in description. It looked great, but the guns aren't super refined in any form.

The description listed pitted barrel with a picture to support.
AND said there were frame cracks. From the pictures I thought it might just be tooling marks, but wasn't sure. The condition of these items in addition to some dull edges is what lead me to doubt the near perfect nickel finish.

It went for a little over $500.

You don't think a NIB stainless WEBLEY in 22lr would fetch considerably more than that? Even double? There is no real competition.

Oh well, I remember all the predictions here the LCR would be a total flop.