The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 31, 2011, 05:30 PM   #1
G1R2

Situational Awareness – Case Study Nº 1

Question: Do you think the Lt. Coronel was unaware of something?

Objective: To learn from other’s mistakes.

Details: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-hed-fine.htm

Brief Story: Lieutenant Colonel Karl Trenker, 49, of Miramar, Florida, was shot three times as he confronted two men who had stolen a gold chain from him.
1. He said the confrontation with the robbers took place after his girlfriend advertised a gold chain for sale on Craigslist.
2. The U.S. Marine said he volunteered to carry out the sale and drove to an apartment complex to meet the potential buyers.
3. As he showed off the necklace one of the men shoved him and grabbed the jewellery.
4. Lt Colonel Trenker said he chased after the two men when one of them turned round and opened fire, hitting him multiple times.
5. He said he plugged the bullet holes with his fingers while calling his girlfriend on his cell phone and calmly telling her: ‘I've been shot.’
6. Officers responding to the shooting found 20-year-olds James Flournoy and Jeff Steele close to the scene.
7. Both men remain in custody without bond and face attempted murder charges.

Thank GOD this man survived!
Old December 31, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2
tac-safe

Situational Awareness

That is one tough Marine...Situational Awareness is crucial! Once you start ignoring your surroundings, that's typically when bad things start to happen.

Be Safe!
CHL San Antonio
http://www.tac-safe.com/

Last edited by tac-safe; January 1, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old December 31, 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

1. Meet in a public place. Easy solution.

2. In today's world, if you chase after a person who has already used violence - expect it will escalate.

3. If you let emotions control actions - you aren't at your best

For example, in FOF class from Insights - you hold a person at gun point and tell them to do X,Y or Z. They don't comply. So most people approach closer to yell at them. Aggressive need for dominance. Works if you are another primate who has NOT invented knives or firearms. But you should back off as distance is your friend.

4. Also, know your force options if you CATCH up to them. Unless they offer you lethal force, in most jurisdictions - you can't use it. So do you want to get into a H2H? If you are too violent and threaten their lives - they can legitimately use lethal force against you - according to quite a few legal doctrines.
Old December 31, 2011, 06:05 PM   #4
MLeake

Huh... and just last week I was told I was paranoid for not wanting to meet random respondees to firearms sales ads, wihout taking precautions.

I was told how others regularly have strangers come to their homes.

Think I'll stick with public places or FFL transfers.
Old December 31, 2011, 06:27 PM   #5
MTT TL

Your link no longer works BTW.

A lot of things confuse me about this case as to why he took such poor preparations, precautions and planning. For example I would never take my 12 year old son to meet with strangers for a FTF sale of jewelry. Glad he made it though.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Situational Awareness – Case Study Nº 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Do you think the Lt. Coronel was unaware of something?
No, he was duped. That happens. However what got him into trouble was his overconfidence and sense of bravado. In his interviews, he often mentions how he is a Marine, that he doesn't back down from a fight.

That's great, but being a Marine who has been in two theatres and unharmed and so apparently thinks he can't be harmed at home. He described his situation as unfathomable. How could he be that naive with all that training?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1176609.html

Quote:
A lot of things confuse me about this case as to why he took such poor preparations, precautions and planning. For example I would never take my 12 year old son to meet with strangers for a FTF sale of jewelry.
Right, but he took 4 kids to meet strangers. Despite his repeated statements about being a Marine and his training, I think the training only kicked in when he realized he was screwed (after the 3rd penetrating shot). None of his Marine training seemed to have been used in planning his meeting with strangers and he got his hat handed to him.

I see he has a bullet lodged in his pelvis. Another pelvis not shattered by a handgun wound.
Old December 31, 2011, 08:51 PM   #7
secret_agent_man

Quote:
his girlfriend advertised a gold chain for sale on Craigslist... The U.S. Marine said he volunteered to carry out the sale and drove to an apartment complex to meet the potential buyers
Stupid is as stupid does.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
wayneinFL

According to the story I read on this, he was under the impression he was meeting at a public place. When he got to the address, he found it was an apartment complex. And they met in a public area of the complex, a common area, not inside an apartment. IIRC, it's in a crappy area in Pompano Beach. Not as crappy as Iraq, mind you, but not the optimum location.

Anyway, I see it as a judgment call based on your own personal interests. To some people, their principles are more important than their lives. If that's they way you feel, chase the guy down. To others, their safety isn't worth a few hundred dollars worth of gold. In that case, let the guy get away with it.

I can see my dad doing this... at 73 years old. And God help them if they shot him with a 22. Me? I don't know.

Last edited by wayneinFL; January 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM.