The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 23, 2012, 06:26 PM   #76
PT-92

Personally in my handgun collection it would be my 1911. However, if I had a big-bore revolver I would probably choose it as they just look "intimidating" to me (slightly more so than my 1911).
Old November 24, 2012, 09:13 PM   #77
reticle

This one would make me duck...

So would this one.

Old November 24, 2012, 11:46 PM   #78
Gunnut17

Any gun pointed at me, that I feel is ugly. If it looks good, I will be busy drooling at it and end up not so worried.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:57 PM   #79
drail

The idea of being intimidated by a gun sounds an awful lot like hoplophobia.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:18 PM   #80
nate45

I don't know drail, did Cooper have a word for fear of being shot as well as a fear of weapons? In my mind, the two are mutually exclusive. I make a distinction between being afraid of an inanimate object and having someone pointing a handgun at me with the intent to use it.

You can see graveyards and tomb stones down in the dark depths of a large caliber handgun's barrel. When someone who means business is pointing it at you. Maybe that ups the fear factor too, who's holding that 'intimidating' weapon.

I know for certain that I'd never want to depend solely on fear to stop someone though. There are people in this world that can't be intimidated.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:32 PM   #81
Southern Shooter

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull

In my stash of toys, the Ruger SRH Alaskan .454 Casull tends to make people back off without it even being pointed in their direction. I shoot a 362 grain hardcast wide ( .37 meplat ) flat-nose bullet out of it. And, when the 24 grains of W296 is touched off that little snub-nose gets a lot of respect at the range. See one (top) in this picture laying next to a .357 Magnum (bottom). The picture is from Jeff Quinn's review on his Gunblast website.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger...4/MVC-001F.jpg
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old November 28, 2012, 12:20 AM   #82
Deja vu

I think those BFR revolvers are pretty intimidating because of there size.

but here is the one I think is the top.... 600NE

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 28, 2012, 11:54 AM   #83
lapetrarca53

Can't say for sure and hopefully, I'll NEVER have to find out but, I'd venture an educated guess that it would be the one I find myself at the business of.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:43 PM   #84
bedbugbilly

I've always heard that "size doesn't matter" . . . that applies to a lot of things.

I find it interesting that after reading through four pages of this thread, the OP has been asked twice to explain why he had his weapon out and it was visible to the meter reader . . . as already mentioned, in some states that would and could be considered "brandishing a weapon".

I live out in the country and even in a rural area, if I was going out to pick off a woodchuck or other critter, I would look to make sure there were no people around whether I'm going to use a rifle or a handgun. Most of us who CC, are usually worried that our weapon doesn't "print" . . . let alone be waling around outside with it drawn regardless of where we were holding it. That's just part of accepting the responsibilities of owning a handgun.

So how about it OP . . . can you clear it up for us just why you were open carrying a drawn weapon . . . especially with a meter reader around? If you heard a noise and were in fear that it was a burglar or intruder . . . he was outside reading the meter. If that was the case, the first thing you should have done was to drop a dime on 911. If I had been the meter reader . . . it wouldn't make any difference how big or how small a gun you had nor if it was intimidating . . . I would have identified myself, done a 180 degree turn and as soon as I got back to my vehicle, called and reported it . . . then you could explain it to the officer when he shows up.

I'll put it another way . . . run this scenario through your mind . . . suppose the meter reader was allowed to carry on the job and he approached your meter and saw that you had a drawn weapon? What do you think his reactions might be? You may be the home owner but he probably doesn't know you from Adam. To him, you are a man standing in the yard where he has been sent to read a meter and the first thing he sees is your "big intimidating pistol" . . . I've had a pistol pointed at me and I've been shot at . . . I know what my reaction would have been.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 28, 2012, 07:35 PM   #85
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
So how about it OP . . . can you clear it up for us just why you were open carrying a drawn weapon . . . especially with a meter reader around?
OP Last peply:

November 16, 2012, 11:45 PM

OP Last Activity: Today (Nov 28 2012) 04:29 PM
Hit and run I quess
Old November 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #86
ltc444

The pistol that is most intimidating to me is the one that is pointed at me and I have an empty hand.

It is amazing how big the bore of a 22 Ruger is when you are facing the business end..
Old November 28, 2012, 07:47 PM   #87
Jammer Six

Speaking as a civilian instructor, the question implies a disturbing assumption.

Weapons are not for intimidation.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:12 PM   #88
robert1811

Meter Readers

To moxie

The meter readers here installed wireless devices because of dogs in backyards. The house next to mine has had their car broken into more than once. They don't belong in my backyard without knocking now.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:48 PM   #89
robert1811

I live in Texas Guys :)

To bedbugbilly

My last post replies to you as well. I didn't know it was a meter reader at the time. He was walking out of my backyard when I saw him through the half open blinds. When i went outside I heard some noise at my neighbors fence. i peaked my head around the corner and saw what he was wearing and simply asked if he was in my backyard. He said yes. And I left. He never saw a gun (which was pointed with my finger off the trigger and by my waist/side not at it of course.)

In Texas I can open carry my gun on my property. Completely within the law, no permit required. I could mow the lawn with a piece on my with no shirt on. I wouldnt do this but I could. Soon as I step on the sidewalk though they can haul my butt to jail no questions asked.

To JammerSIX, I wanted to imply disturbing images.

Thanks for all the scary looking guns guys! Man they looked awesome
Old November 29, 2012, 12:23 AM   #90
Jammer Six

It doesn't imply a disturbing image.

It implies a dangerous, foolish assumption. From an instructor's point of view, that is disturbing, because it means education has failed.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:27 AM   #91
Redhawk5.5+P+

What do you think about answering your front door with a gun in hand behind your back which I did a few times?
Old November 29, 2012, 02:58 AM   #92
Jammer Six

If I needed a weapon to answer the front door I'd move.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:35 AM   #93
robert1811

!

If it implies a dangerous assumptive Id move too. Stand your ground
Old November 29, 2012, 08:28 AM   #94
Mystro

A Jennings Ghetto modded 22lr is scary to me to shoot. You never know when it's gonna let loose. I love big quality handguns, so no recoil scares me. In fact I gravitate to big bore calibers.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old November 29, 2012, 10:03 AM   #95
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It doesn't imply a disturbing image.

It implies a dangerous, foolish assumption. From an instructor's point of view, that is disturbing, because it means education has failed.

Quote:
If I needed a weapon to answer the front door I'd move.
With all respect sir. I know you're my senior.

This is an internet gun forum. We're having fun and gaining knowledge. Maybe one day he'll want one of these guns for range use. Some people like this kind of conversation.

Behind every screen name here there is a person behind a computer with the same interest as you and I.

I find it unnecessary to give such comments.

As for the second comment I quoted you on. If crime made appointments I wouldn't carry a gun.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:08 PM   #96
JimDandy

There are times to answer but not open the door with your carry weapon...When a stranger knocks on your door at oh-dark-thirty I'd think about it. Maybe the guy had car trouble, and maybe it's some nutball. It's happened before, it'll happen again. I wouldn't OPEN the door holding a pistol... Hell until I saw flashing lights on a marked car outside, I wouldn't open the door period.

And to get us back onto a lighter note... this gun would be entirely too intimidating. You know the guy pointing it at you is going to get the first several shots because you'd be too busy laughing...

Old November 29, 2012, 12:53 PM   #97
mrt949

A Big Revolver
Old November 29, 2012, 04:26 PM   #98
MLeake

Jammer Six, I get the distinct impression that you are a range shooting only instructor, and not a self-defense instructor. Most of your "safety" issues are in keeping with NRA RO/SO rules for static ranges; your emphasis seems to be on beginner's marksmanship and firearm safety. Those aren't bad things, by any means, but your focus appears to be limited to those things.

I don't know any reputable self-defense instructors who belittle people for answering the door, armed. In fact, those whom I know actually recommend it - and/or they recommend not opening the door to people they don't know.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:27 PM   #99
sserdlihc

I have never been intimidated by any handgun or for that matter, any firearm.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:54 PM   #100
Jammer Six

Leake, my answer is way off topic.

I started a new thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...73#post5304573