The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Savage 10FXP Bedding Issue?

Bouught a .308 Savage 10FXP with Accutrigger on it and the other day at the range another shooter noticed my action was rocking left and right badly in my stock. Disassembled action using two screws and re-installed the action. Noticing now that my barrel appears to be hugging left side of stock near the very front of gun(where stock ends near end of barrel). It is a free-floating barrel. Anyone know if it is bedded correctly or maybe the stock was made? When shooting if I barely twist to the right it straightens up......? Here is a picture but not sure if anyone will be able to tell what I am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0219.jpg (244.6 KB, 59 views)
Old January 14, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Fleet

If it shoots well, don't worry about it. If it doesn't, time to relieve the stock a little.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

That's an older model scope package gun, I think, no longer listed by Savage. I think it just has a synthetic thermoplastic stock and not an Accustock. I had one of those on a pre-Accu-anything 10FP, and it was just too flimsy, so I replaced it. There was no bedding, per se, in mined, but just metal inserts in thermoplastic. The stock contact is no surprise if my own is anything to go by.

If the gun shoots well as-is (this is unpredictable, but the stock contact most likely will not help), don't worry about it. If you want to improve on it start looking at aftermarket stocks. Thermoplastic can be bedded with a lot of work and effort (since glues won't adhere to it without special surface treatment and other effort), so getting a more rigid stock in the first place is easier.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
browninghunter86

well cant get sub moa out of reloading. have tried varget and rl-15 with 165gr hornady bullets.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Time for stock work, then. 1 moa was about the limit of my 10FP with original stock, but half moa is easy with a Choate stock I put it on. For hunting I'd tend toward a Bell and Carlson Carbolite.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
browninghunter86

also the screw for the trigger guard does it screw in tight or not? mine will not go tight and just turns and turns
Old January 14, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
10-96

Stripped screw? That don't sound good. Without applying too much force, take your rear (long) screw and run it in and see if it goes tight. If so, your short front screw is stripped- if not, the hole is stripped and that could mean a trip to a machinist/gunsmith for a helicoil, enlargement of hole and bolt.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 14, 2012, 07:20 PM   #8
browninghunter86

yeah when take action out and then try the screw for the trigger guard that stays in when action is out the screw does not go all the way out the hole. it is just short of going all the way through
Old January 15, 2012, 07:40 AM   #9
hooligan1

It sounds like he has the very same stock my 110 has, if it is, then the front trigger-guard screw is a philips head screw that only attaches the trigger-guard to the stock. Maybe just a little larger screw will fit the bill, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TIGHTENING THIS SCREW IN.... it's not hard to strip it.

AS far as the stock and barrel alignment goes, just take a dremmel tool and carefully work it back some, CAUTION: Do not take more than necessary to free the barrel.
Old January 15, 2012, 07:15 PM   #10
tobnpr

Just in case you weren't aware, when setting the action screws place the rifle butt down, and give it decent "bump" down onto the floor before tightening the front action screw first. This makes sure the recoil lug is firmly seated to the rear. Then tighten the rear action screw. Might help your alignment (and accuracy) if you're not doing this, dunno...
Old January 16, 2012, 01:22 PM   #11
browninghunter86

anyone know how much it may cost to get rifle bedded by a gunsmith?
Old February 6, 2012, 09:55 PM   #12
browninghunter86

had a quick question. is it normal for the action screws to be loosining after several range sessions? Gun started shooting a little funny and just checked the screws and they were loose(last time they were snug and could not turn them in anymore) and this time I made about 1/2 turn on front screw and about 3/4 on rear screw. Just curious
Old February 7, 2012, 07:30 AM   #13
CowTowner

If you are sure they aren't stripped, then when you do the final reassembly, use a drop of locktite blue on the threads. That way you can still get them out without a fire wrench if needed.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #14
browninghunter86

if I use loctite then do not torque them down to the reccomended setting right? Just hand tight?
Old February 7, 2012, 03:02 PM   #15
CowTowner

Always follow the manufacturer's torque specifications.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 8, 2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

The torque is to pre-load the connection of the gun with the stock, not simply to keep the screws in. If you don't torque it properly, the gun position in the stock may shift around during firing, despite the screws staying put.
Old February 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #17
browninghunter86

so it is normal to see action screws come loose even if they are torqued down correctly? I guess that is something to check after each range session along with scope screws
Old February 8, 2012, 01:56 PM   #18
CowTowner

Loctite Blue should be on both, IMHO. One of the last things I want to worry about is a loose screw when putting a trophy buck in the cross-hairs.
Old February 8, 2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Normal or not, I can't say, but it does happen on a lot of rifles. The Choate varmint stock my 10FP is currently on has special hardened screws that can be torqued over twice as hard as a lot of common specs call for, and they have never come loose. But the stock does need metal between the screw head and the rifle to do that as wood and plastic will give under that much pressure.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:02 PM   #20
browninghunter86

had a very long discussion at range with ex sniper and other reloader and avid shooter and got to looking at my rifle. My rifle with the action screws snug...... the front part of action(about where front of scope stops) rocks back and forth(left and right) badly. The rear of action around where the bolt and trigger are does not appear to be moving. When you grip the gun the stock torques and barrel moves with it in the stock. So our debate was if that is bedding or loose action or what? said they have never seen that before and called savage and said they had not heard of that either. anyone with a savage 10 fxp/axis/ have same issue with factory stock?
Old February 10, 2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

That sounds pretty odd. Seems like something isn't making proper contact. I'm glad you got some experienced hands on it to verify there's a problem.

I can tell you that if you return the rifle to Savage they will repair it and test fire it in their tunnel to make sure it is shooting well. That may be your best option at this point. Unfortunately, I don't think your efforts to find an accuracy load will bear any consistent fruit until you get this resolved.
Old February 10, 2012, 06:30 PM   #22
browninghunter86

turns out had something to do with the bipod. took it off and no movement anywhere and shot decent groups today. am ditching bipod until hunting season comes back around
Old February 10, 2012, 09:12 PM   #23
CowTowner

Still sounds pretty odd to me. How does your bipod attached to the rifle?
Not a barrel clamp based on the pic in the OP. So it's a sling mount type?
IS it causing pressure on the forearm resulting in the stock getting tweaked?
Old February 10, 2012, 09:22 PM   #24
hooligan1

Browninghunter I had this very same delima, and it lead to me trading what now is a very fine rifle( mark V CZ) .270 win. The fella that I traded it to found it was twice the shooter without the bipod (Harris). I was a little naive at the time and couldn't figure out why the rifle wouldn't shoot decent, (2 inch groups at one hundred). I can't remember how bad the beating I took on the trade but I remember that I could kick myself , and he still uses it every season!
Old February 10, 2012, 09:51 PM   #25
browninghunter86

yes sling swivel mounted. I guess it was making stock flex alot. guys at range when I showed them without bipod said that it made no sense why it would have been causing that....who knows will see how it goes next few trips to range