The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 28, 2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Evil Dog

Red Dot Sight on a K-38?

Have been toying with the idea of mounting one of those Red Dot sights on my favorite K-38. Going from eBay prices it shouldn't be all that expensive of a modification. Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble. As it it, I can usually put a bullet somewhere near where I am looking with standard iron sights. The Red Dot version might make it a little easier although it would definitely call for a new holster.

Changed from my old Eagle "Secret Service" grips to a set of Kim Ahrends Tactical grips... seem to be quite a bit more comfortable. Haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet... hopefully Sunday at a local event.

Old July 28, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
steveno

as long as it didn't require any machining do what you want but if it requires machining it will degrade the value of one of the best shooting revolvers of all time
Old July 28, 2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Evil Dog

As near as I can figure, the only modification would be removing the rear sight then drilling and tapping an additional hole to fit a Weaver rail mount. The red dot sight would then clamp to the mount. No milling or anything more permanent than one additional hole.
Old July 28, 2007, 06:39 PM   #4
steveno

personally I wouldn't even drill the extra hole. check a B-Square or Brownells catalog before you decide to drill. I have a K-38 made in 1960 and it will not have any extra holes drilled in for any reason
Old July 28, 2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Ignatz

A local shooter used a model 10 4" HB and mounted a "Ultra-dot" red dot on it for Bullseye matches. It was a nice rig and the 4"heavy barrel gave it a nice balance. Something to think about in case you want to keep your model 14 open sights and hack up a beater model 10. The Red Dot would put me in the Open revolver division with all the top dogs shooting full tilt race guns. I'm shooting Irons tomorrow so its a more even playing field if I were to use a model 14.
Old July 29, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
johnbt

I think you'll like it. This a S&W 647 (.17 HMR) with an UltraDot Match Dot on a Weigand base.