The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 4, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1
william_1000

Another Calibre question ....

Hi

Background

Started shooting at age of 15 with a 9mm browning standard sights.
Slide or something cracked about a year and a half later.

At that time (I was sa 16/17) my dad had an extra .45 Colt Norenco std 7/8 shot mag which he told me to try out! and I fell in love with it!

he then upgraded it to a para which can take 14 / 15 rounds!
I have been shooting that gun since then! about 9 years now! without any major hastles!

NOW comes question!

I have moved out and don't have my own firearm with me because I never bothered with licensing etc. and well will now get that sorted out as soon as possible - but already want to start getting all my own reloading equipment. I have been casting, priming, sizing etc. all my own .45 ammo since age 16 so I know the story kind of.

The question!!!

Should I purchase a new .45??? which one would be best!?
Should I consider a .40? or stick with the .45 since I am very used to it? I even have a speed holster etc. etc. so I'm set in that regard for the .45 (maybe even a .40?)

OR should I maybe buy the one from my dad with which I have grown on and became accustomed?

Oh by the way it has standard sights but the larger combat sights painted red! My dad shoots also a Norenco different model .45 with a propoint he has a compensator mine does not.

(This looks good! Colt Special Combat Gov't)

I enjoy my pistol a lot and will NEVER go back to 9mm. we shoot IPSC my dad is a chief range officer and told me to stay with what I'm comfortable.

Anyway so now I'm 99% ready to buy a brand new .45 but want some advice from you lot! then someday I would like to buy a .308 semi-auto for 3 guns shoots! any ideas there?
(we participated in a 3 gun shoot this last Saturday with a .303 bolt action was tooo slow!!)

Oh by the way I'm a 26 year old practical pistol shooter and was born and live in South Africa!

Cheers
Old June 4, 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
william_1000

Gun

Here is the legendary gun I talked about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ian Gun 2.jpg (21.7 KB, 63 views)
Old June 4, 2007, 03:23 PM   #3
RickB

The .40 is primarily a game cartridge, unless you're a cop. If competition is a primary focus of your shooting, then .40 might be a good choice, but only in an iron-sighted, hi-cap gun. For all-around use, .45 ACP is hard to beat. 1911s function best with rounds loaded to ~1.25" OAL (.45 ACP, Super .38, 10mm), and since you are already familiar with the .45, go with that.
Old July 8, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Old Gaffer

I've read LOTS of Good Things about the Taurus PT1911. I've never fired one, but the one's I've held felt VERY good in the hand.

Here in the US, they're comparatively inexpensive at about $500 USD. I haven't any idea what that would be in Rand, or if they're even imported into SA, but you might give them a look, nonetheless.

I'm looking for input on getting one for Bullseye shooting; they're so new there seems to be less information than opinion. Most of the people talking about them seem to come from a standpoint of personal carry (see here http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=251264)

And if you do get one (or even close enough to form an opinion), please report back!

All the best,
Rob