The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 24, 2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Zathras

Cimarron model P

I just purchased a cimarron model P 7 1/2 inch barrel 45Colt..since I am new on this board, Id like to know what you "pros" have to say about it...I plan to shoot it in the next week or so, but for those of you that have it..hows the quality and accuracy to design and function compare to the colt, or pietta??
is it an accurate replica??
Old August 24, 2010, 07:52 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

I shoot this one every week....is pretty accurate...even more accurate with the kids holding it rather than myself...

Old August 24, 2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Zathras

Thank you, at least , for the comments..
Old August 24, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

theres nothing wrong with them.... this is the only one like it that I have had tho.. so I have nothing to compare it to... but it shoots accurate and doesnt give me any problems...thats pretty much what I look for.
Old August 25, 2010, 06:17 AM   #5
sebou

hello
Cimarron sells production from Uberti. Uberti bought smithing from Colt. The replicas are the same as original revolver produced by Colt. I guess you have a pretty good revolver.
Good hunting !
Seb
Old August 25, 2010, 09:07 AM   #6
denster

Uberti did not buy "smithing" from Colt and the Uberti SAA are not the same as Colt there are a number of differences. That being said the Uberti guns are a good general representation, well put together and good shooters for the most part and a whole lot less money than a Colt.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Zathras

Either way, I am a happy camper..I love the gun..Paid $200.00 and it looks unfired.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:20 AM   #8
denster

That was a steal and about half of what it is worth even as a used gun. I've owned a number of Uberti SAA and they have all been excellent shooters.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:58 AM   #9
DiscoRacing

I feel really good then... cuz I only paid $100.00 for mine because the ole guy said that he thinks the cylinder has slack in it....dont seem to loose to me.
Old August 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #10
denster

Disco. $100 is an even bigger steal. What the old guy may have been talking about was front to back play which comes with wear on the cylinder bushing. Should be around .002 to .005 easy to fix with with one of the bushing shims you can buy cheap. I did notice that yours is developing a ring around the cylinder you might want to check your bolt timing. The bolt should retract below the cylinder before it starts to turn and not drop until it gets to the leads on the next chamber.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Zathras

and in addition, mine came with the box, and all the paperwork...
Old August 25, 2010, 08:28 PM   #12
mec

If there is a bit of end float, you can replace the cylinder bushing and stone it to fit. I stretched the on on my 32 wcf and it has remained tight. On the model Ps, and other Ubertis, you occasionally have to turn the barrel a bit to get it hitting on for windage. You can tell if it needs that by seeing if the front sight appears to be leaning or the barrel inscription is not perfectly centered.
A good thing on the model P is that they have replaced the leaf spring that powers the hand with a coil/plunger arrangement.
Here's a 25 yard bench group with a ModelP 38-40

And here's a 25 yard offhand group with the Earp Buntline before barrel turning:

This is the 32-20 that started out with a bit of cylinder end float. It hit right on for windage and the typically over tall front sight let me adjust elevation precisely:

Most recent Uberti SAAs from Cimarron or elsewhere shoot just about like this and , though the purists would deny it, they usually shoot significantly better than colt or usfa.
Old August 25, 2010, 08:52 PM   #13
denster

I was saying to myself Ol Mec knows his stuff and the boy can shoot, right up to the last line. Most newer Uberti's will out shoot most Colts I agree but not USFA. USFA gets the sight alignment correct right out of the box and the chamber mouths are right at .451 so they claim and so it is with the three I own.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Hardcase

I want to step into this carefully, because I'm sure to offend somebody.

The only Colts that I own are over a hundred years old, so they've earned whatever "character" they've got. I've got a couple of friends who have three 3rd generation SAAs between them and I have to say that for brand new thousand dollar guns, they disappoint me.

Now, maybe my expectations are too high, but a grand is a lot of money for a hogleg and I'd expect the one that I bought to be darn near perfect. These three Colts are not. All had at least one glaring machining mark visible somewhere, had trigger creep and pretty gritty triggers. Only one of the three had a straight sight on it.

My Colts aren't single actions - in fact, the only single action revolver that I own is a Heritage Rough Rider which certainly has issues of its own. The two USFA SAAs that I've had a chance to shoot were spitfires - they were what I was expecting those Colts to be.

So are my expectations too high or are those three revolvers just a few that shouldn't have left the factory?
Old August 25, 2010, 10:03 PM   #15
mec

come to think of it, the guy who sighted my USFA had it hitting exactly on. Ive shot a couple of them and , while they did very well, the Ubertis tend to out group them from the bench.\ =probably just luck of the draw.
Old August 25, 2010, 10:10 PM   #16
mec

Quote:
So are my expectations too high or are those three revolvers just a few that shouldn't have left the factory
Colt has sometimes been very creative about the chamber mouth/forcing-barrel measurments of their wcf cartridges and .45 Colts. some people end up using 455 and even larger diameter bullets to get the best accuracy from their first and third generation 45s. I've shot several second gens that tend to have good dimensions but one, does its best work with .454" bullets and is very accurate with those.
This is it. Made in 1956
Old August 25, 2010, 10:32 PM   #17
denster

Hardcase. No your expectations aren't too high. I've owned a few 2nd gen Colt SAA and they were pretty nice regarding fit and finish. Most needed the barrel turned to adjust windage and accuracy was in the 3&11/2 to 5 inch range at 25yds. The last Colt I bought was an early 3rd gen and it was terrible. I can't speak to the current production.
There are just better guns available for a lot less. The Uberti, USFA, all can be made to shoot less than 2" off the bench with a little load tweaking. A really overlooked bargain is the early AWA Peacekeepers with the Turnbull case coloring. They are super nice and I've seen them go new in box on Gunbroker for as little as $450
Mec. I'd say a little playing with loads and Uberti and USFA will shoot right along side each other and of course luck of the draw is always a factor.
Old August 25, 2010, 11:05 PM   #18
MJN77

Well, my $0.02 is this.

I like mine. They all shoot very well and are very reliable. I use them as "farm guns". I have shot original 2nd and 3rd gen Colts and MY OPINION is, the Colts won't do anything a cimarron/Uberti won't do. Except maybe hold resale value better.

p.s. The second gun down is a 17 year old Uberti .44 magnum. It has eaten thousends of rounds, shoots quite well, and the only repairs I have had to make to it ( I bought it new ) was replace the trigger bolt spring with a Wolff wire spring. Ubertis will last a long time.

Last edited by MJN77; August 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old August 25, 2010, 11:57 PM   #19
Model-P

Quote:
So are my expectations too high or are those three revolvers just a few that shouldn't have left the factory?
No, your expectations are not too high. But, what were the years of manufacture of those "3rd generation" Colts? You do understand that the 3rd generation has spanned thirty-five years now, right? There is a lot of corporate history covered in that time frame, and, yes, the third had a bad beginning and middle, but the 3rd generation SAAs of the past few years have been excellent; some say better than even the coveted 2nd generations. So, your comparisons may be a bit dated?

And, Colt does still have trouble getting those .45 Colt throats down to size, but I found the happy medium with my loads and am very happy with them.
Old August 26, 2010, 06:05 AM   #20
sebou

Hi all

Denster ;
Quote:
Uberti did not buy "smithing" from Colt and the Uberti SAA are not the same as Colt there are a number of differences. That being said the Uberti guns are a good general representation, well put together and good shooters for the most part and a whole lot less money than a Colt.
Maybe my information is not days. Many gunsmiths and shooters tell me that Colt had sold its machines Uberti. That said, I have no evidence whatsoever true. But I saw some small differences, In particular with the hammer and the cylinder rod. It is true that Uberti revolvers are deemed good, especially the production for the U.S. market.
Seb
Old August 26, 2010, 09:06 AM   #21
Jbar4Ranch

Here's the long and short of it, and I've got several in between. Every now and then, a trigger/bolt spring breaks, but that's to be expected if you shoot 'em long enough.

SASS 47015
Old August 26, 2010, 09:13 AM   #22
MJN77

Jbar is correct. That is the most common repair for a single Colt or colt clone. That is why I replaced mine with Wolff wire springs. They do not break.
Old August 26, 2010, 09:52 AM   #23
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model-P
But, what were the years of manufacture of those "3rd generation" Colts? You do understand that the 3rd generation has spanned thirty-five years now, right?
It seems to me that they're early '90s guns - I had not given the time span much thought, to be honest.
Old August 26, 2010, 10:39 AM   #24
mec

I use those wire springs too. Sometimes they DO break but we are always real surprised when it happens.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:47 PM   #25
MJN77

OK, ALMOST never. Happy!!??