The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 25, 2016, 08:45 PM   #26
Gunslick

Time will tell about the M400 and no the DD isn't garbage. Watch, once your throat erosion really starts (it does start at round 1) your barrel will go very fast on the M400, it is not mil-11595 barrel steel, it is chrome lined but thats it, oh that was the other thing I noticed on mine, not TRYING to drop crap on Sig rifles but the chrome lining in my barrel LOOKED to be chipping away at the throat instead of regular erosion. Then I had it checked with a bore scope and that was indeed the issue. I don't know, if I am going to buy or build a rifle its going to be as close to spec or better than mil spec as possible because that is what the rifle is supposed to be and I run mine hard.
Old July 25, 2016, 08:48 PM   #27
Gunslick

...your Poly lower won't last 5000 rounds I would bet money on it. Just saying. I remember when there were hundreds of those lowers around town, no one wanted them so they went on sale for 10 bucks each..still couldn't bring my self to buy one.
Old July 26, 2016, 04:31 AM   #28
Ibmikey

Gunslick, That is why i bought the ATI Omni, to see how many rounds it would go, surprised me to find steel molded into the plastic at receiver extension threads and take down pins. It has a Proper BCG, nitride treated barrel made by DC Machine, i built a 14 1/2" carbine with one of their barrels a year or so ago and so far it is doing just fine. When i build a rifle i record all the parts that are included to see what works best and what to avoid ( if any). But mainly i build, buy and shoot because it is fun and at this point in my life I can shoot them a lot and give AR's to friends and relatives if I choose.
I have also obsessed with 55 Chevy's, Winchesters and SAA Colt's and have gleaned pleasure from each.
By the way the Sig was not mine but a friends, i will pass on your concerns about barrel erosion. He guessed the carbine had about two thousand rounds through it before we ran 3-400 more down the pipe. Without a temp gauge I could not tell if his rifle was retaining heat more than mine.

Last edited by Ibmikey; July 26, 2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old July 26, 2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Gunslick

I hope to be where you are someday.