The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 15, 2005, 03:41 PM   #26
zzirg

had i been there the BG with the 38 would have to be trying to dodge 14 Xs 45acp.
Old December 16, 2005, 08:35 AM   #27
Jack Malloy

CCW wouldn't have helped the shyster much.
In most states that have it, you still can't carry a gun in a courthouse, and the guy was either coming into, or going out of, a courthouse. Se even with a permit, he would have been disarmed by the law. And left to the mercy of a trigger happy man.

As for the angry shooter, he probably realized that in the world we live in with hustle and bustle
• nobody would want to get involved.
• most people realy don't pay much attention to what is going on around them.

One of my friends got shot back when I was in college. He was in an arsenal on active duty and he and another guy had gotten back from manuevers. They unloaded their .45s, when one guy forgot to pump the slide AFTER he dropped the mag and shot my buddy in the head.
Bill said that he did not know what was happening, just that one minute he was talking to the sgt. the next he was laying there in a puddle of wet stuff and he thought somebody had hit him with a baseball bat.
Knocked him off his feet, but not out. The fmj hardball round went into the side of his head, followed his skull around under the skin and exited the back. At first, the paramedics thought it was a through and through wound, but we coulda told em that Bill had a thick skull.

>>Amazing how nonchalant the shooter was. Emptied his gun and then just puts it in his pocket and strolls off like he had just stopped for his dog to water the tree or something.

<<<
Old December 16, 2005, 08:40 AM   #28
stephen426

Wow Jack,

That is a crazy story. Goes to prove that even the venerable .45 is not as potent as some people believe. It was probably an odd angle of entry, but I'm sure it must have hurt like hell.
Old December 16, 2005, 10:43 AM   #29
Marky

power has nothing to do with it

No one knows what a bullit will do, thats why people have been shot in the shoulder and the bullitt exits at the hand or anywhere else.Sometimes they actually bounce off of bones. Anyone that has fired any tracers knows that once a bullitt exits the barrell of a gun you dont really know where its going. some bullits come with air-pockets in them screwing balance and ballistics all to crap.
Old December 16, 2005, 11:28 AM   #30
stephen426

Marky,

Don't get extreme here... Power does have a lot to do with it. Angle of entry has a lot to do with it as well. An under powered bullet will deflect off the bone rather than breaking it (.22 LR or .25 acp). A .40 S&W or .45 acp will break bone more easily and has more momentum going along the vector it was fired. This is the basic law of physics known as intertia. Something with less intertia is much more easily deflected. Some quirky things have happened but they are the exception rather than the norm. If I point a gun down range, it is going down range. It might not go exactly where aimed due to a myriad of factors, including those you mentioned, but it will be going in the general vicinity for sure.
Old December 16, 2005, 12:04 PM   #31
Marky

to stephen

Yea your right but in general if a person gets hit noone really knows whats gonna happen. And your right about what you said, I was actually referring to a dum buddy of mine that managed to shoot himself w/a .25 auto and it entered near his elbow and exited from his hand. So I stand 'basically' corrected. see ya