The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2012, 09:34 AM   #51
gytrbyte

i admit im not much of a bike rider, i have been downed on a horse at full sprint(thank you prairie dog holes.) i was wearing a shoulder harness galco jackass rig with full size 1911. i didnt even notice the gun during or after the fall. it was the horse and/or rocks that left marks.im 5'8 170lbs i find that the shoulder harness works best for me. hope this helps.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:20 PM   #52
BoomieMCT

I ride. A lot. And I try to carry whenever I can. I've tried all sorts of things. What I usually use is a Galco "explorer" shoulder holster or a strong side OWB with a thumb break. I move too much on my bike to trust something without a thumb break. Paddle holsters or any IWB will dig into me too much in the saddle. I had a 5.11 vest and some leather vest with pistol pockets and I just did not trust the little velcro straps that kept the pocket closed.

For those concerned about the safety of carrying in a crash - I know two people who wrecked while carrying. In neither case did the gun go off. One guy skid on his gun/holster for a while, nearly wearing a hole in the leather.

As far as where to put the gun when in MD - if you don't have luggage of some sort I have no idea. My bike has a little lockable tool compartment under the seat. A compact pistol might fit in there if the tools were taken out . . . Generally I just try to stay out of Maryland.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:10 PM   #53
RedBowTies88

Quote:
As far as where to put the gun when in MD - if you don't have luggage of some sort I have no idea. My bike has a little lockable tool compartment under the seat. A compact pistol might fit in there if the tools were taken out . . . Generally I just try to stay out of Maryland.

I have a similar compartment on my 750 as well, and my gun would fit in it. But to comply with FOPA the gun has to be in a locked case and seperate from the ammo which has to be in its own case.

Therefore when I travel out of state to free America I have to take the Goldwing. Not that that's a terrible thing...but the fact that I have to is insane.

I suppose trying to fit the ammo in that compartment on the 750 and perhaps putting the locked pistol case in a backpack may be within the law however inconvenient. I would have to re-read the law to be sure though.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:22 PM   #54
Beagle45ACP

Another problem I see in Mr. Pond's logic:
Quote:
Most gun owners will not need to draw their gun in anger.
I thought the point of a CCW was to draw only in SD situations. If we started drawing in anger, then that would defeat the purpose of legally CC'ing because we're probably about to do something that's going to get us jail time, and also would give the anti-gunners more ammo as to why we should do away with CC "oh no, they're all crooks, just look at X's case here."

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 31, 2012, 04:52 PM   #55
SteveBonning

I think Mr. Pond's comments are well-taken. Having a weapon on your body during an accident certainly does increase your risk of bodily injury somewhat. That has to be offset by the issue of re-arming one's self each time you stop if you believe in being armed at all times.

Life is full of risks, and we all weigh the risks versus the benefits. Personally, I will accept the risk of some possibility of additional injury in case of an accident. I'd rather have the weapon on me at all times whenever possible. As always, it's a personal decision.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:22 PM   #56
8t6gt

I carry my River LC9 in my right lower pocket when I ride. Unless I'm going to stop for a drink then I leave it home.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:36 AM   #57
bikerbill

When I'm riding, I carry a Smith 637 in a pocket holster in the inside breast pocket of my leather jacket ... out of the way but accessible, no chance of it falling out since the pocket snaps closed ... also kinda forces me to wear leather -- always a good thing when riding -- since other carry methods don't appeal to me when I'm riding ... I understand concerns about landing on the gun if you fall off, but it's not something I have time to worry about ...
Old November 3, 2012, 11:08 AM   #58
arktravler

Carry in my jacket or vest...
Old November 18, 2012, 10:48 AM   #59
Bronco4me

Because I ride year round, there is no single method that works year round. Winter riding I wear my heavy leather jacket, which has a gun pocket that easily handles my Kahr PM9. For summer riding, my leather vest has a gun pocket that accommodates my PM9. For really hot temps (>100 deg), I'm wearing my high visibility mesh jacket, and I like my PM9 carried in a Tommy Theis IWB horsehide holster.

For cross country trips I usually have a saddlebag gun has a significantly higher capacity than my EDC. You never know when you'll be combating a crowd of zombies or passing by an Occupy Wall Street event...many of which will argue are the same thing.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:07 PM   #60
Straightshooter629

When I ride, I carry the same way I do all the time. I carry my Rossi 462 in a Don Hume OWB worn crossdraw ( right-handed worn at the approximate 10:00 position. I always ride in a vest during warm weather and jacket during colder weather, so I have no issues with a cover garment. I use the extenders on my vest to keep it closed and prevent the vest from flying open while riding. I hold CHL's from two states, so I'm pretty well covered wherever I ride. You may also consider an ankle rig, especially if you wear boots with a open style pipe. I will carry that way in extremely hot weather when it's too hot to ride in a leather vest.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:57 PM   #61
ltc444

Most motorcycle throttles are controlled with the right hand. If your need to deploy your weapon while maintaining your speed, your weapon must be deployed using the left hand.

My one experience in being required to deploy my 1911 while riding almost resulted in a disaster.

The problem was that I am right handed and pistol was on my right hip. Unfortunately, the situation required that I keep my throttle open with my right hand. In short I could not use the pistol.

Fortunately, I had a spare chain which I put through the windshield of the PU which was attempting to kill me. The chain ended the encounter.

Now when I ride my 1911 is accessible to my left hand and will be deployed weak hand.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #62
AH.74

I would never, ever, under any circumstances try to engage my gun while riding. My first thought is being able to control the bike; maneuver and evade.

If you think you can shoot while underway, more power to you. But I think it's not an option.

As you said, you need your hands on the controls. But then what happens if you have your gun in hand, and need to put your hand back on the control? Are you going to drop your gun? Tuck in under your leg in time to get your hand back where it should never have left- the control?

Entirely unrealistic to think you can deploy your gun while riding, in my considered opinion. I'm more concerned about when I'm parked or off the bike.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:04 AM   #63
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Your best weapon against a PU while on your bike IS your right hand. I don't care if they're driving a Ford Lightning. There's no way they're keeping up to a motorcycle.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:56 AM   #64
ltc444

Drawing a weapon is a last resort.

Some times it is not possible to evade. My experience is as follows:

I had just been mustered out of the Army and was returning home. My bike was a 1974 Honda 750 K4 with a wind jammer II fairing. Top end was about 90 mph. Note that is why I ride bikes with top ends in excess of 120 now.

The 1911 was in the right hand (lockable) fairing compartment. The chain was in the left pocket.

When crossing the Mississippi River on the old Memphis bridge, a pickup truck tried to run me into the center guard rails. He could out accelerate me and braking he could stay with me. I beeped repeatedly but he kept coming. It was a deliberate attempt to hit me. I could not access the pistol so I used the chain to smash his windshield. He stopped and I escaped through traffic and did not stop until I was well past the MO line.

To days bikes have the ability to outrun/out maneuver just about any 4 wheeler on the highway. Those vintage bikes, especially those which were dressed, did not have the power and maneuverability, to out run or out maneuver, the muscle vehicles of the early 70s. Back then it was not uncommon to find 429 Cobra Jet engines in beat up PUs.

My point in this post is that If you get in a situation were, as a last resort, you need the Pistol, not many riders carry spare chains anymore, it needs to be positioned were you can access it and still maintain throttle control.

In a separate incident a drunk in a PU tried to play tag with me. My bike was a V-65 Sabre. It had the acceleration and top end to get away. It is a trip to run a 165 mph down AR hwy 7 south of Camden Ar at night.

I later had the privilege of arresting the driver for felony DUI. He did 5 years in Cummings.

Remember "Satan Clause is out there" "be prepared Son."
Old November 20, 2012, 11:08 AM   #65
RedBowTies88

Quote:
I would never, ever, under any circumstances try to engage my gun while riding. My first thought is being able to control the bike; maneuver and evade.

If you think you can shoot while underway, more power to you. But I think it's not an option.

As you said, you need your hands on the controls. But then what happens if you have your gun in hand, and need to put your hand back on the control? Are you going to drop your gun? Tuck in under your leg in time to get your hand back where it should never have left- the control?

Entirely unrealistic to think you can deploy your gun while riding, in my considered opinion. I'm more concerned about when I'm parked or off the bike.
Completely agree. Unless you're on the offensive I don't see how you could be shooting at a persuer while moving...specially without putting countless lives at risk.

Quote:
Your best weapon against a PU while on your bike IS your right hand. I don't care if they're driving a Ford Lightning. There's no way they're keeping up to a motorcycle.
Absolutely wrong. I have a 4 door 2500hd that beats the average 600cc sportbike... let alone the average v-twin cruiser on the road. Not to mention someone wishing to do you harm could be on/in any kind of vehicle..I sure would't bank on beiong able to outrun them unless your name is Valentino Rossi and you've got a top level 1000cc sportbike.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:49 PM   #66
total frustration

ccw on motorcycle

I carry every day whether in a car or on my bike. I ride a lot and I take concealed carry seriously. I use a crossbreed supertuck, canted with velcrow rather than metal belt clips. The holster tabs and belt velcrow together which make for a very concealed holster that you can tuck a shirt over. Motorcycle jackets ride up too high to conceal a firearm properly. To date, I have never been "made" that I am carrying. On the other side, you need to consider what will happen should you have an accident while riding. I assure you, a firearm anywhere on you will hurt and break bones or worse. I can attest to this first hand but still choose to carry. Good luck and learn from others because mistakes can be costly.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:38 AM   #67
Rembrandt

Don't underestimate wind turbulence.....

Old November 21, 2012, 02:40 PM   #68
chaim

I'm with those who don't really foresee drawing while riding (though you never know when you'll need to). In town, I can out accelerate or out maneuver most vehicles on the road, even on my heavy and underpowered 800cc Suzuki Boulevard. Of course, on the highway, I'm not so well off. My thoughts in asking this are more for when I get off the bike or when stopped at an intersection. When I get off the bike or if accosted when stopped, and I'm in a CCW state, I'd like to be able to access my handgun. When in MD, and not riding to work, I carry a knife in (or clipped to) my right front pocket (I'm a teacher, bringing a knife to work would be illegal).

As for what/how I ride, I have a Suzuki Boulevard C50SE with bags and a shield. For non-motorcycle types, it is a cruiser, a style popularized by Harley. I sit upright, not bent over like on a sportbike. About 90% of the time I wear a jacket when riding (either leather or mesh depending upon temperatures).

I still haven't decided what I'm going to go with on the bike, other than wanting some kind of retention. When not on the bike, I carry mostly IWB or pocket, sometimes on the belt, and always strong side. Usually just behind the strong side hip (though I've been thinking about moving to appendix carry or maybe 2:00 with my IWB to more closely mimic the draw when carrying a pocket gun since I often do so). Maybe a low riding or tuckable IWB with a short barreled pistol to aid in concealment when riding and to mimic as closely to my usual carry style may be best (with the only change being the retention system of the MC holster).

Anyway, we still have several months until the return of riding season around here (it really just ended), and it likely won't be warm enough to take any long trips on it until March or April, so I have some time to think about it.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:50 PM   #69
Doc Intrepid

Chaim,

I carry a pair of Kahr's when riding.

A PM-40 in a pocket holster fits in either strong-side outer jacket pocket, or inner vest pocket - transferable because in the desert it starts out cold and gets real hot mid day.

A Kahr .380 in a wallet holster in the offside rear pocket.

The people I ride with do a lot of removing and putting on jackets etc. throughout the day as temps vary, but with these 2 pistols I can keep things completely concealed without any worries.

Here is the wallet holster. Awesome product for concealed back-up:
http://www.shop.captain-itch.com/Wal...et-Holster.htm

Hope this helps.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:26 PM   #70
JimDandy

The link isn't working for me, but in a way that tells me if I hit refresh a few times it will. Be careful of wallet holsters. Make sure it's a holster, or get the tax stamp.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:01 PM   #71
Doc Intrepid

I'll try to post the link again...

http://www.shop.captain-itch.com/Wal...et-Holster.htm

Its a true holster - but attached to a leather panel that looks like a standard biker wallet with a chain that attaches to the belt. It's easy to deploy with your off hand and bring around front, where the pistol can be drawn with your strong hand. It looks like you're reaching to pull money out of your wallet.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:04 PM   #72
Rifleman1952

Haven't ridden a bike in many years (have owned several) but I am thinking about getting a good touring "retirement" bike. Many of the newer touring bikes today have cruise control. With cruise control, a rider would be able to access a CCW with his right hand during an incident involving a bad actor on the highway.
Without cruise control, I think it best to pull over and seek cover and concealment from which to defend yourself.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #73
9mm

Leg holster.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #74
TriumphGuy

Quote:
Absolutely wrong. I have a 4 door 2500hd that beats the average 600cc sportbike...
Not trying to be argumentative but you'd have to be way out of the norm for that. My OLD (1975) bike does 0-60 in a bit short of six seconds and I could believe that it would keep up with that with some mods. If it can do 0-60 in 3.5 secs and keep up with my newer bike which is 10 years old now and was built for carrying capacity and rough terrain more than speed, you must be running a pretty darned hot. I'm sure as heck not experienced at running from anything on four wheels with a motorcycle but given the choice between my right hand on the throttle and my right hand trying to dig a gun out from under a jacket with a pair of gloves on, I'll take the escape route every time.

As to carry on the bike, I tend to carry in my hip pocket. Pretty slim chance of falling right on it and plenty of meat for a cushion there. I used to carry in a shoulder rig but I worry about falling on a big hunk of metal right by my ribs. I've also taken to using a zipper pouch for a cell phone that has a belt clip. I've got a pocket holster velcro'd inside and keep it in a tank bag and transfer to my belt when I get off the bike. It's not the quickest draw but if I'm somewhere that I need to worry it's easy to discreetly move from the pouch to a pocket. That doesn't happen often as places where I feel like I'd need be more likely to need the gun don't make very good riding destinations.