The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #26
jhenry

I am still waiting to hear of any actual instances of wrecks where we know the gun caused damage that would not have otherwise happened.

In case no one has noticed, the world in which we ride is chock full of hard things. Rocks, bumpers, the bike itself, dogs, deer, cars, other bikes, pavement etc. and so forth. If you come off you are going to slide on hard things or impact hard things or both. Some 9oz pistol in my vest is just a non issue.

Getting to the gun while riding is also a non issue. The gun is for the rest of the time, and I am not going to go digging around in my bags at every gas station or diner to fish out a pistol in the parking lot so I can stow it on my person and then reverse the process. This is a recipe for unwanted attention. Concealed is concealed.

I did a 2,000 mile ride this month to go ride Deal's Gap and other roads. I carried the little pistol the whole time in 6 states with no one the wiser.

The Dragon was fun. Potentially dangerous, but fun.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:32 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p loader View Post
What kind of armored pants and jacket? This is what I wear (include an armored back protector as well) and it definitely would interfere with almost any carry method I can think of. After 10 mcycles and probably 100k street miles my largest threat without a doubt has to be people in cars not paying attention. If a situation were to happen where I'm on my bike and I wished I had a gun, well I'm just screwed. So be it.
I wear TourMaster Flex jacket and pants. Presents no trouble whatsoever with my carrying.
Old October 24, 2012, 07:21 AM   #28
Skans

I wear a plain leather jacket when I ride. I pocket-carry in one of the inside pockets.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:56 AM   #29
AH.74

Quote:
Getting to the gun while riding is also a non issue. The gun is for the rest of the time, and I am not going to go digging around in my bags at every gas station or diner to fish out a pistol in the parking lot so I can stow it on my person and then reverse the process. This is a recipe for unwanted attention. Concealed is concealed.
This is the biggest factor for me. I put it on and forget about it, just like I would if it was on my belt. I am not moving it around from place to place or unholstering/holstering every time I stop and walk away from the bike.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:34 PM   #30
CCCLVII

I never CCW on a motor cycle but when I was a kid (22ish) I did get pulled over for riding a motor cycle with an AK slung over my should open carry. The officer ran my license and was pretty rude to me but in the end I did not break any laws and he was forced to let me go.

I was carrying it cause I was on the way to the range.

I think if I was going to Carry concealed on a bike I would wear a jacket and use a should holster.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:28 AM   #31
Eagleks

Ones I've used :
1. Inside pocket of vest or leather coat, made to carry a gun (many out there).
2. IWB holster
3. Conceal carry shirt ... works well.
4. Belly band.
5. Fanny pack with a conceal pocket & holster.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:00 PM   #32
Armybrat

Move to Arizona and don't sweat the concealed part:

Old October 26, 2012, 02:18 PM   #33
45Gunner

I ride a bagger Harley and when I first got it, I experimented with different ways to carry concealed and was concerned with A.) losing the gun, and B.) accessibility. With regards to (A.) I decided I needed a holster with a retention device. With regards to (B.) I needed to be able to get to my gun, if ever needed, with as much ease as possible.

After some trial and error methods, I was most comfortable with an Army Surplus Helicopter Pilot's Holster. I can carry a large frame semi-auto and the holster rides across my front lower left chest area. The gun (and holster) are secure, I don't have to worry about losing the gun because it vibrated out of position and a simple pull down of the jacket zipper allows easy access to the snap on the holster and quick pull-out of the firearm.

This type of holster can be purchased at most military surplus stores or CTD has them on-line.
NRA Life Member
Old October 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #34
Belve

on my bike i try and carry in my saddle bags, that way it isnt on me just incase i crash. Im always super paranoid of an accidental discharge in the case of a collision.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:13 PM   #35
Iron Man

Hmm, my motorcycle vests and jackets all have pistol pockets on the inside similar to those in the old Air Force bomber jackets.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:18 PM   #36
arch308

I ride a HD ElectraGlide. I don't have a radio and where it would be I have a zippered Cordura pouch that works perfectly to carry a small to midsized handgun. According to the police I have asked, the law here considers a MC the same as a car and you don't need a CHL to carry in this way.
I have traveled much of the country in this way and have found that it works for me. It's probably illegal in some states but that's not a problem unless, God forbid, I had to use it. In that case, as the saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Or something like that.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:43 AM   #37
AH.74

arch- actually, it may be a bigger problem than you care to really consider. If you get pulled over in a state where you have no reciprocity and that state happens to have laws where the gun needs to be unloaded and inaccessible to the rider/driver, you may find yourself in a predicament. Is that worth it?

And let me ask- since you travel so much, what do you do when you arrive somewhere? Do you always transfer the gun to somewhere on your person? As above, what if it's somewhere with no reciprocity for CC, or OC? Do you feel comfortable leaving it in your nylon bag? I would not, therefore it's not an option for me to do something like that. All it takes is a minute to unzip or cut open the bag while you're away from the bike. Is that worth the risk?
Old October 27, 2012, 10:17 AM   #38
MikeGunz

I dont carry while riding. I know its unlikely but im paranoid its just going to sailing out of my holster down the road. I ride a sport bike also so youre kind of bent over a bit while riding it would show my IWB a lot i feel. Maybe when i change to a harley one day ill start carrying while riding
Old October 27, 2012, 04:32 PM   #39
chaim

Quote:
I ride a bagger Harley and when I first got it, I experimented with different ways to carry concealed and was concerned with A.) losing the gun, and B.) accessibility. With regards to (A.) I decided I needed a holster with a retention device. With regards to (B.) I needed to be able to get to my gun, if ever needed, with as much ease as possible.

After some trial and error methods, I was most comfortable with an Army Surplus Helicopter Pilot's Holster. I can carry a large frame semi-auto and the holster rides across my front lower left chest area. The gun (and holster) are secure, I don't have to worry about losing the gun because it vibrated out of position and a simple pull down of the jacket zipper allows easy access to the snap on the holster and quick pull-out of the firearm.
.45Gunner, sounds like your concerns were basically the same as mine. It seems like your solution would work well when you are out just for a ride. When the time of the year allows it, and I don't need more (i.e. no passengers or lots of junk to transport), I like to use my motorcycle as transportation as well as recreation. What do you do when you are using the bike to get somewhere and you get to your destination? It seems similar in concept to a shoulder holster, why did you choose this over a shoulder rig?

From the bulk of the responses, it sounds like a shoulder holster with a thumb break may be something I should consider. It would be a very different draw than my usual methods, but it would be very secure, somewhat accessible, very concealable while on the bike, and would still conceal well once I got to my destination so long as I kept my riding jacket on.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:49 PM   #40
arch308

AH.74
I tend to follow the speed limits and obey the traffic laws. I have over 50K miles on the road and have never been pulled over. If I did make a mistake they still have no reason to search me or my vehicle. Yes, I'll take that chance.
When we stop I remove the gun and either take it inside the hotel or store it in a hard saddle bag while eating, shopping, etc. I try to be discrete and, knock on wood, have never had a problem. I won't travel without a gun, period.
Like I said, it works for me. YMMV
Old October 27, 2012, 04:59 PM   #41
AH.74

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, not trying to instigate. But there is always a chance of something happening.

Quote:
If I did make a mistake they still have no reason to search me or my vehicle. Yes, I'll take that chance.
God forbid you have an accident, or, they don't need to search you- only to ask if you have any weapons. Are you prepared to lie if you are asked that question? What if after that, for whatever reason, they do find out you lied?

I can't accept breaking the law, not matter how good the intention is. If that means I must ride with the gun stowed and unloaded, that's what I'll do. I will hate doing it, but I won't break the law and risk that type of trouble.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:00 PM   #42
arch308

Well, that's what lawyers are for.
If asked by a LEO I would have to fess up and have done so in the past in my car. For sure there is a possibility for legal trouble depending what state I'm in but I also tend to stay away from the unfriendly ones just like the ones with helmet laws.
I suppose it could get expensive but the price of freedom has always been high. I won't wear a seatbelt either. That is an expensive ticket.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:22 AM   #43
buck460XVR

J-Frame in an ankle holster on my weak side. Readily accessible, does not interfere with riding and not much risk of injury if in a accident.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:55 AM   #44
Master Blaster 2

During this summer when I rode I carried on my person with a outside belt holster, right side above frount pocket. My shirt would cover my .357 COP Derringer well as did my roll of fat. Has a short barrel so doesnt stick out much below the belt.
Was a great dry and warm summer of riding this year....

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; October 29, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:13 AM   #45
hounddawg

Summer I wear a Walther PPS or a SW J frame in a IWB holster. Winter I use either one of the above or a CZ75 in the inside pocket of my jacket stored in a pocket holster to prevent printing
Old October 29, 2012, 10:43 AM   #46
45Gunner

Quote:
45Gunner, sounds like your concerns were basically the same as mine. It seems like your solution would work well when you are out just for a ride. When the time of the year allows it, and I don't need more (i.e. no passengers or lots of junk to transport), I like to use my motorcycle as transportation as well as recreation. What do you do when you are using the bike to get somewhere and you get to your destination? It seems similar in concept to a shoulder holster, why did you choose this over a shoulder rig?
Actually, I tried a shoulder rig. It didn't work for me on several levels. First, when wearing a leather jacket, it just wasn't comfortable to have the gun/holster and the extra mags digging into my sides. For those not in the know, riding a cycle is not like sitting in a car. You body is constantly in motion as is your hands, arms, feet, and legs. Perhaps if I had had an over-sized jacket it might have made a difference but then again the bigger jacket would also be cumbersome when riding. I found that the helicopter pilot holster kept my firearm tucked in close to my chest and didn't move around.
I could keep my extra mags either in the bags or on my belt. I kept a belt holster in my bags so when I wanted to get off the bike and walk around or go to a restaurant, I simply took the belt holster into a bathroom stall, changed from one holster to the other and took my shirt out of my pants to conceal the firearm.

As far as considerations if one were to hit the pavement while riding in this configuration; you are going to be pretty sore most everywhere on your body after going down at any speed in excess of 35 MPH. One more bruise, in the overall scheme of things is not going to make much of a difference and the leather holster and jacket is going to protect your firearm. Biggest problem on hitting the pavement is having your jeans "burn away" as you slide and the road rash is probably the most painful thing you can experience if the "crash" is not that serious. If a car hits you or vice versa, its not going to make much of a difference what you are wearing.

My wife and I were hit by a car 11 years ago. I saw him coming and tried to get out his way. It was like he was aiming for me. I was able to maneuver to prevent from being T-boned but he did catch the very back of my bike. Both of us were on the pavement in an instant. My wife didn't see it coming and when she hit the ground, she slid into a curbstone and broke and dislocated her shoulder. I slid and was able to avoid the curbstone but did suffer some pretty severe road rash. We were taken to a local hospital by fire dept. emt's
and while in there, a police officer came to visit me. First thing he said is they ran the investigation and found I violated no laws. The other driver ran and I was told they did not have the manpower to look for him as there was not a death in the accident. And lastly, he wanted me to call someone to take my gun as it was against hospital policy to have a firearm in the hospital.
By the way, my gun was never scratched. Our helmets saved our lives as we hit the road pretty hard.
NRA Life Member
Old October 30, 2012, 09:59 PM   #47
LeadFistExpress

Two different ways

I ride a Fat Boy and I carry two different ways when I am riding. I have a concealed carry vest that can carry a pistol on each side. I try to carry two when I wear it so that it balances out weight wise.

I also carry IWB sometimes. The first few times I was checking often to make sure the gun was not creeping out of the holster, but after that I was confident enough that it was secure that I have no concerns with that method now. I guess the confidence level would depend on the holster you are using.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:10 AM   #48
2000ShadowACE

The only time I have ever needed a gun while riding is following a breakdown. While sitting on the side of the road a couple of rednecks drove by real slow eye-balling my daughter who had been riding on the back. When they slowed down and turned around, I opened the trunk and retrieved my .357 and kept it hidden, they stopped and started making rude comments to my daughter at which time I told them to get the hell out of there. Apparently they noticed my hand in the trunk and decided not to push their luck.
My point is that you probably will never need to draw your weapon while riding, but it might come in handy when you are stopped. Therefore it might be helpful to look into finding a spot on your bike to keep your paddle holstered weapon. With a paddle, you can just slip it on when you stop and slip it back into storage when you ride. That eliminates all worries about loss or injury in the case of an unexpected get off or having the gun fall overboard on the twisties.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:02 AM   #49
SteveBonning

I am also from Maryland, ride a motorcycle, and like to carry when I'm in PA, Del, Va, etc.

While on the bike, I usually don't plan on pulling out the gun for the reasons stated previously. For me, carrying while on the bike is just for convenience--so I don't have to leave the weapon on the bike or off of me. It stays on me and stays concealed

I've used several holsters, but what I've found best for me is the NRA Tactical Holster--I like it's overall concealability factor in general; sits on the waist comfortably, no issues getting on/off or riding the bike. I know there's lots of debate about having a weapon in one's groin, but like everything else, with the right weapon, training, awareness, and using the holster as it was intended, I find it works well and very safely.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:36 AM   #50
RedBowTies88

When I ride in a free state I pocket carry my model 37 in galico pocket holster.

I ride in jeans 95% of the time and the tighter pockets hold the gun very securely. I wouldn't attempt this in cargo shorts however, I've never lost anything from my pockets but I could see it happening with baggy pants.

The bigggest problem for me is I have to store the gun UNLOADED in locked case in a saddle bag with the ammo in its own case in the opposite side saddle bag to comply with FOPA until I get out of NJ. In a car I simply pull over once over the state line retrive my locked case and ammo get back in the car and load/holster up.

On a bike thats not so easy, and finding a place to do it where everyone and their brother can't see you is near impossible