The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 5, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
TCman

coyote hunting

I have a 10-22 with a butler creek camo stock and barrel. I have had very good luck with it. Would you coyote hunt with it and wat is the max range for a .22?
Old February 5, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
lil_bro

It would probably work ok if you keep your shots within 60-75yds and use some CCI veloctiors.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/defaul...=18&prod_id=14

Michael.
Old February 6, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3
20cows

A .22 lr is, in my opinion, too light for coyotes. Though they do not have a reputation for being hard to kill, a full grown coyote will weigh 40 to 60 pounds.

A .22 magnum would be marginal beyond 50 yards.
Old February 6, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4
armedtotheteeth

Even though coyotes are "pests" they do have a right at least to have a fairly quick, painless death. I would invest in a larger centerfire rifle. A 30 carbine is minimal. I think the most common are 22-250, 243 and 220 swifts. I have killed them with a 22 , but i prefer 30 cals, i killed several hundred with my 303, now have dumped the cash on an all purpose hog, deer , coyote, killing 300 win mag. 30 Carbine again, will do nicely, heh!1 get an SKS , the 7.62 x 39 behind the 22lr, is the cheapest gun you can shot, and they work great on pigs, deer, and coyotes. I think you can pick up a sks for $100.
Old February 6, 2006, 01:34 AM   #5
yorec

Taken many a coyote with a .22lr - I just limit myself to standing still headshots. On the run or body shots, I consider it too light - with any ammo choice.
Old February 6, 2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Dirty_Harry

Do you guys think that 9mm is ok for coyotes and what ranges and loads.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 7, 2006, 12:11 AM   #7
armedtotheteeth

A standard 40 ish pound coyote will handle a well placed 9mm hollowpoint at about 30 yards (handgun) and run off somewhere else and Die. Now, a 9mm Carbine, I dont know, but out of a S& W handgun. Have see then run off at 30 yards with a hole in one lung. It works in a pinch. These where Walmart loads. My 45 auto made one flip over , but a 9 just aint got enough juice.maybe headshot at 10 yards. Get a bigger gun. Its a good excuse to buy one anyhow.
Old February 7, 2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Dirty_Harry

See there's the problem, I live in Indiana and there is a no rifle rule here, yes it blows otherwise I would go after it with my AR-15, my buddy uses a shotgun, but I do not want to ruin the pelt. I thought about using my .357 magnum, but I just shoot better with long guns. Help!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 7, 2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Lummox

Is there a law against a pistol calibered rifle? Most hunting laws regarding rifles are because of the velocity and range.

If you could, I would get a 9mm or 45acp carbine. That would be ideal if you cant use a rifle. The downfall would be that the range you can engage the coyote is a lot less than with a rifle. The added velocity of the longer barrel and decent grain bullet would be good.

I have shot many coyotes and the 22LR is not good. You need a critical shot to take them with a .22LR. I would use a 223.
Old February 7, 2006, 04:12 PM   #10
20cows

Quote:
I live in Indiana and there is a no rifle rule here
No rifle rule!? For coyotes!?
Old February 7, 2006, 07:17 PM   #11
armedtotheteeth

He must live in Californindiana. Thats a new state that has Californiaitis with regards to gun laws. No but really, you can use rifles?? HUH WHAT?? Another perfectly good state ruined by idiots, paid by our tax dollars.
Old February 7, 2006, 07:19 PM   #12
TCman

I live in indiana and you can take a coyote with ANYTHING.
Old February 7, 2006, 10:06 PM   #13
pipoman

I had forgotten how much I enjoy coyote hunting. I used to hunt them a lot. I heard them tonight while feeding the dogs. Guess I need to go out after a snow(If we ever get any!).

[edit] I have shot a few coyotes with 00buck at 25-40 yards the damage from a well placed shot is minimal IMO.

TCman what is the justification for prohibition on rifle hunting in IL?
Old February 8, 2006, 12:09 AM   #14
Desertfox

Maybe there is no law against traping. If you are hunting a pelt, trap one.
Otherwise, if you cannot use a rifle for coyote, dig a deep pit. I mean deep! Now, put the politician that came up with that no rifle policy in it ,and push the dirt back in the pit as fast as you can.
Old February 8, 2006, 01:25 AM   #15
dgc940

I say shoot all the yotes you see out to 40 yds! You wont get that close to many. Smart dog they are!
Old February 8, 2006, 07:52 AM   #16
armedtotheteeth

Splain this term to me please. " N O R I F L E" uhm, I dont get it.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:08 AM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

If any one is looking for PELTS, they can come to Oklahoma and get one off
of about any fence post in Pittsburg County.
We don't use rifles here either, we just chase em down and strangle um to death.
Old February 8, 2006, 04:21 PM   #18
Dirty_Harry

In Indiana you you can only use everything but a rifle, my buddy says that he goes coyote hunting every spring in Indiana, and he goes with my other buddy a police officer.

Old February 8, 2006, 04:45 PM   #19
TCman

rifles for coyotes in Indiana

If you look on the Indiana Department of Natural Resources web page it has all the rules. I have been hunting with my uncle who is a Indiana conservation officer and he also said you can use any size rifle in Indiana.
Old February 8, 2006, 07:40 PM   #20
armedtotheteeth

Now if there is a "no rifle " rule there, does it mean you cant hunt with one, or possess one. "no sir, i was just shooting cans, i swear"
Old February 8, 2006, 09:37 PM   #21
Marlboro Man

I wouldn't hunt a yote with a 22 but thats just my opinion. If thats all ya got then thats all ya got
Old February 8, 2006, 09:44 PM   #22
Marlboro Man

Quote:
In Indiana you you can only use everything but a rifle, my buddy says that he goes coyote hunting every spring in Indiana, and he goes with my other buddy a police officer.
Sorry but you are misinformed. Here in Indiana, you can hunt coyote's with any firearm that you choose to. Being an Indiana police officer doesn't make a person informed on the Indiana wildlife laws either - that's what the Indiana Department of Natural Resources conservation officer is for. Heck we just had a county sheriff arrested for poaching deer this past season.

Here is the link to the Indiana DNR page stating that all firearms are legal to hunt coyotes with. You will find your answer at the bottom of the page under "predator Calling"
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntg...G0506_1-20.pdf
Old February 8, 2006, 10:13 PM   #23
TCman

Well I also have a Remington 700 30-06, But I dont have a scope for it yet. I thaught about trying some accelerator rounds through it. I might try some core- lokt through my sks too. The reason I want to use my .22 is because I just got a butler creek stock and barrel combo. It is a .920 barrel and they both are realtree hardwoods. I am very pleased. Atop I have a simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20/50mm.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:20 PM   #24
Marlboro Man

That Rem 700 ADL should have open sights on it. Why not use them? BUT that 06 is way to heavy for yotes if you want to save the pelts. The 22 would probably work as long as you make well placed shots.
I like the 10-22's, I have put together many of them to shoot and to sell to folks around here. I like the 20" GM fluted barrel from Natchez and the laminate thumbhole stocks from Stafford sales. Throw in a Volquartsen target hammer and a WeaponsKraft bolt buffer and call her done.
Old February 8, 2006, 11:07 PM   #25
FirstFreedom

Pipoman, exactly how do you use the snow to find them...just start looking for tracks & follow, or what specifically?