The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2002, 10:16 AM   #1
kidcoltoutlaw

has anybody tried the .40 s&w and longshot powder

with a 4 inch they claim 1159 with a 180 that is smoking.has anybody even got close to that,thanks,keith
Old September 19, 2002, 04:05 PM   #2
Shoney

kidcoltoutlaw:

I did extensive testing of Longshot with 135, 150, 155, 165, and 180 grain bullets in my HK USP40c which has a 3.58 inch barrel.

The powder meters very accurately, is clean burning, , and is low flash in the 155-180's, which is great for night shooting.

My most accurate load of any powder and bullet combination is with Longshot just under max, 180 Gold Dot, & WSP. It shoots consistently under an inch at 25 yards and chronos at 1100fps. The best velocity I could get out of my short barrel was 1120fps at the max listed load, but that load was around 2.5" and tougher to get a second shot off quickly. It will place every shot in the torso kill area of a man target at 100 yards when shot from a rest.

So to answer one question, will it achieve 1159 w/180 in 4"....... yes, its very possible depending on weapon.

The 165 Golden Saber took second place at max listed load, 1197 fps avg with between 1 and 2 inch groups consistently@ 25 yrd.

Several brands of 150-155 produced velocities in the 1320fps range, but accuracy was never under 3"@ 25 yrd. with any loading and at max, I would call it "abusive" (says so right here in my notes in bold type).

The 135 Nosler reached velocities of 1480fps avg at max loading, but with 4" groups @ 25 yrd. They got consistent 2" groups @ 25 yrd. when velocity was at 1405fps. I dont recall it being terribly abusive at max but it was not pleasant.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 21, 2002, 07:37 PM   #3
kidcoltoutlaw

thanks

i have that same hk uspc in 357 sig with a 40 bar-sto barrel.i will have to get me some long shot powder,thanks,keith
Old September 21, 2002, 08:03 PM   #4
Clark

I have tested 10mm and Longshot in overload.
The case bulge comes at 3% overload with the stock G20 barrrel and 39% with the BarSto aftermarket barrel.

Contrast that with 800X where the stock barrel gets a feedramp case bulge at 26% overload and the Barsto cannot get a case bulge when the case is packed full of powder at 72% overload.

What does it all mean?
It means the pressure time stress of a Hodgdon max load for LONGSHOT is allot higher than an IMR 800X load. [strain guages, transducers, and copper units or pressure are as reliable as a WeeGee board. Brass cases tells the truth.]

What do you do about it?
Take the LONGSHOT published velocity with a grain of salt. It will never get the velocity that 800X can in 40sw.

Notice how I have not mentioned what bullet I am talking about, so you can't copy my loads. [unless you go over to Glocktalk and read every last detail of my loads]
Old September 22, 2002, 01:47 AM   #5
Shoney

Clark:

If we are talking purely velocity/pressure, then the 800X wins. I have shot it extensively and find it to be OK.

I prefer the Longshot over 800X for the following reasons:

1. Metering - Longshot wins by a wide margin. The 800x did not meter as accurately, but was never greater than 0.2 grains light or heavy (a variance of 0.4 grains is not good in my book, so I had to weigh every charge of 800X, which is not a big problem if you want to spend the time);

2. Longshot burns much cleaner. 800X is pretty dirty, especially as you approach and exceede max. 800X gives you a peppering effect all over, but mostly in front of the weapon, and in a wind, back into your face (not good on my eyes). For practical defense purposes this also means you could shot many times the number of Lonshot loads before a FTF because of the dirty mechanisms.

3. Flash at no/low light. The Longshot is fairly flame free at max, while the 800X give a modeate flame, and probably a realbarn burner at 72% overload. Not only would you be blinded by this at night, but you really give your position away.

4. And finally, the real biggy, and most the important difference, the Longshot was more accurate than the 800X in my 40.

I use 800x as my primary defense loads in other cartridges with excellent accuracy and velocity, but its not my choice in the 40.

Now if you want a real BG Bunn Buster in 40, try 8 grains VihtaVuori N105 and a 200 gr bullet at just under 1100fps in my short barrel.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 22, 2002, 10:12 PM   #6
Clark

Shoney,
I am with you on points 1, 2, and 3, but "accuracy"? what's that?

Seriously, I have a problem with how 800X burns.
It throws tiny fire balls a couple feet that can make real mischief in some situations.

LONGSHOT is my favorite powder for 9x23 158 gr and 7.62x25mm 110 gr.

This week I tested some Enforcer in 10mm and found it very low flash compared to Blue Dot.