The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2014, 12:30 PM   #51
Husqvarna

rem1100
twelve years ago, the day after I passed my hunting quals(needed for licenses here)

I had looked beforehand at the local shops,

I was young and thought semis were superior, it had a straight stock I am lefthanded so sold

I actually still do better with it then my O/U shotgun shooting clays and whatnot

still have it
Old August 9, 2014, 08:59 PM   #52
KyJim

First gun was a gift from my grandfather at about age 12 -- a used Remington TargetMaster single shot .22 LR. I learned to shoot a rifle with that gun.

I ended up swapping with my mother for another TargetMaster that had a newer stock. In retrospect, she got the better deal, though.

A couple of years later, I got my first shotgun, an H&R Topper, Jr. single shot 20 gauge. I still have it.
Old August 10, 2014, 09:24 AM   #53
vito

As a kid I got to shoot my dad's gun and my brother's 22 rifle, but the first gun that was mine, that I bought, was a "Baby" Browning, a 25cal tiny semi-auto pistol for $43 NIB at the Popular department store sporting goods department in El Paso, Texas. I was a new 2LT at my first Army assignment, and often was not home at night. I wanted something for my young wife (just turned 20) to have in our rented trailer home for when I was away. I would have bought the Browning Hi-Power but it was $99 and I couldn't afford that much, so I bought the 25. Years later I traded it for an old 380 semi-auto that later was stolen in a home burglary. That little 25 probably wouldn't have done much for me in the way of home defense but it sure was a cute little thing!
Old August 10, 2014, 01:56 PM   #54
Crankylove

First as a gift............Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in .270 Winchester. Reciever it for Christmas when I was 12 or so.

First rifle I purchased on my own was a Marlin bolt action .22.
First pistol I purchased was a 4" Ruger GP100.
Old August 10, 2014, 05:47 PM   #55
SauerGrapes

My father bought me a single shot 22 rifle. Model 49 Ithaca at age 7. Surprisingly, I still have it. Don't know why, but there ya go.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 10, 2014, 06:22 PM   #56
geetarman

J.C Higgins .410 single shot. I must have been about 12 or so.

Carpe Cerveza
Old August 10, 2014, 08:42 PM   #57
N R A

All you guys, pics or it did not happen. Lol

Here I am on vacation at some dude ranch posing with a stuffed horse. I am 3 1/2.

Firearm? Some chrome looking cap gun popular in 10 cent stores of the day. I later progressed to bb guns.

First 4473 I filled out was for a Ithaca M49. 19 dollars new at a gas station. Second gun was a browning BL22 grade 2, used, at a gun store for $100. I had more fun shooting the Ithaca. The tube fed Browning was longer to feed ammo to than shoot.

Old August 11, 2014, 06:38 AM   #58
cheche

Mine was an RG 38 special.

Old August 11, 2014, 07:22 AM   #59
Kreyzhorse

My first was a gifted Ruger Single Six 22lr Conversion. Didn't enjoy it all that much but shooting 22 Mags out of it was damn fun. No longer own it but it's a long story....l

The first gun I bought was a SKS built in 1954. Paid $89 for it and still have it. Just a fun gun to shoot.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:56 AM   #60
Bennyfatsack

Probably only Aussie on site

Didn't own but bought up from early as I can remember shooting my grandfathers Diana .17cal air rifle, than by roughly 8yrs got the moss berg .22lr 10 shot tube mag bolt action, but alas my first rifle I bought was not until I got my firearms licence at the age of 17, which was I gun that was well worn when I got it, a parker hale 22-250, bit of sand paper, blueing liquid and oil and its still with me 18 years later, its not doing much nowadays but can't let it go
Old August 12, 2014, 05:37 PM   #61
tarheel blue

Remington Model 700 .308... just recently had to sell it... Dr. bills from my daughter's surgery are really adding up... also probably going to have to sell the Shultz & Larsen M65DL 30-06 I inherited from my grandfather... we'll see what happens
Old August 14, 2014, 09:33 AM   #62
CowTowner

Sporterized No.4 Mk1 Lee-Enfield. I paid a neighbor $35 for it. And I still have the gun 40 years later. Although it has been refinished and restocked.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 14, 2014, 10:16 AM   #63
cc-hangfire

Marlin model 60, longer tube model. Bought it right out of college in the early '80's cause ever household needs a firearm and a .22 is so versatile. Still have it and the original box. Have switched to rear peep/hooded front sights.
Old August 14, 2014, 03:38 PM   #64
Ruger480

My first gun was a Crosman Classic 2100 I tricked my mother into getting it (She was...not happy). It was 67 dollars at Kmart at the time. While she was shopping, I was drooling over guns I couldn't have yet. When she came to police me up, I asked if I could get "that" one. She of course said no, we didn't have the money. So I begged and pleaded with her thinking if I kept at it she would give in and say yes. 20 minutes later and still not making progress I asked her if we had the money could I get it? My mother, thinking this would appease me and get us on our way said yes. Whereby I promptly pulled 75 dollars from pocket! I had robbed my savings account (Glass jar I kept my allowance in) and brought it with!!! 30 years later I can still see the look on her face. I'm pretty sure had there not been witnesses she would have beat me senseless. But, I got it! That opened the door to my first real firearm a year later, which I still have. An Iver Johnson single shot 20 ga.

The first gun I purchased on my own was 12 ga 870. Still have that one too.
Old August 14, 2014, 03:54 PM   #65
gyvel

Quote:
Didn't own but bought up from early as I can remember shooting my grandfathers Diana .17cal air rifle, than by roughly 8yrs got the moss berg .22lr 10 shot tube mag bolt action, but alas my first rifle I bought was not until I got my firearms licence at the age of 17, which was I gun that was well worn when I got it, a parker hale 22-250, bit of sand paper, blueing liquid and oil and its still with me 18 years later, its not doing much nowadays but can't let it go
Apparently you didn't have to turn them in???
SIFE
Old September 4, 2014, 11:31 PM   #66
Bennyfatsack

Nope, don't know who made the decisions but I still struggle to understand their logic, took our pump action shotguns but not our pump action rifles, took all semi autos, left alone bolt actions levers etc, figure this can't have 5 shot pump action shot but I can and do own a 7 shot lever action shot gun. When I say took our, many can still get permits to own and use with valid reasons ( as to whom deems the reason valid i dont know ) and operated under strict restrictions, all firearms have to be registered and securely stored, storage inspected randomly, licensing broken into categories eg. Cat.A rimfire, air rifle, shotgun, no semi's etc
Cat.B centre fire no semi's. Cat.C restricted semi's etc etc etc, dealers license, collectors license, I'm only ledgible for cat A, B, and with that also have to to firearms safety course, and provide validated reason for having a firearms license, wether target shooting/competition, animal handling, recreational hunting and vermin control, etc etc have to be confirmed by gun club/range membership, letters from land holders confirming your required or hunting on their land, and then after jumping through all the hoops and get your license you then want to buy a firearm....... But wait there's more, now you know which fire arm you want within your category you must now submit a permit to acquire with a valid reason for aquiring that gun along with a $30 admin fee kept whether approved or not, this take for the first time in the specific category up to 6weeks up to 3weeks on following purchases within same category. Firearms are to be stored with bolts and ammunition removed and locked in seperate lock box/safe, safes must also meet a strict criteria aswell, transport of firearms well that another can of worms. So we can still own and shoot just major reforms and restrictions over last 15 years or so
Old September 4, 2014, 11:47 PM   #67
Water-Man

My first firearm was given to me by my grandfather in 1951. It is a Savage Model 3 .22 rifle, single shot, manufactured sometime in the 1930s.

I still have it and shoot it from time to time.
Old September 7, 2014, 02:38 AM   #68
Intune

Stevens Model 15 .22 passed down to me. First firearm I bought was a Colt Trooper .357.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:11 AM   #69
Coach Z

What was your first firearm?

Marlin .22 papoose. I loved that gun and it really got me into shooting. My dad pawned it. Still annoyed about that 25 years later
Old September 8, 2014, 08:40 PM   #70
Sergeant

Single shot Stevens 410 break open and my brother got a bolt action 410 that held 2+1. We were 11 & 12 at the time.
Old September 8, 2014, 08:56 PM   #71
NateKirk

New england arms 410 shotgun single shot breakaway. I still use it

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old September 9, 2014, 03:29 AM   #72
thunderarms

Mine was a CZ 100. The thing jammed at least one round per mag and it had the worst trigger ever...I think it was around 48 lbs. You almost had to stand on it to have it go off.
01 ffl dealer
Old September 9, 2014, 03:34 AM   #73
33GURK

B-Day present at age 14, Remington 1100 16 Gauge

I still have it and is in very good condition.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:56 PM   #74
zach_

Ithaca 49. Still have it. Still a shooter.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:46 PM   #75
USMC 77-81

Browning BPS 12 gauge, I bought the day I got out of the Marine Corps, I still have it.