The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 17, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1
boxerrider

USPS

I'm looking at purchasing an out-of-state C&R shotgun. After rooting around all evening I've determined (to my understanding anyway) that ATF rules allow shipping to an 03FFL by a non-licensee but USPS only allows a non-licensee to ship to a licensed "dealer".
Cheaper to go through the post office but a hassle for me to drive to another place and pay their fee.

No question here, just ranting, but feel free to correct me if there's something I'm missing.

Enjoy!
Old December 18, 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
carguychris

USPS regulations allow non-NFA rifles or shotguns to be mailed without any USPS-enforced restrictions regarding the sending or receiving party. The regulations only say that (a) the package should not be labeled to indicate it contains a firearm, (b) the gun should be unloaded, and (c) USPS personnel may ask what the package contains and/or open it to verify that the gun is unloaded.

More info here:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm
(scroll down to Section 11.3)

The USPS isn't responsible for checking whether a sale meets the provisions of the GCA; that's the ATF's responsibility.

The postal restrictions regarding the identities and/or licensure of the sending and receiving parties only apply to handguns.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3
w_houle

I had someone tell me that all I had to do was strip the gun to parts, throw an FFL in the box, and use the FFLas the return address. I went to someone else, and the said it had to be put in their book and then out when it was shipped. They also had paperwork from the post office specific to the package containing guns.
I wonder how bad off I would be if I had listened to the first guy?
Old December 18, 2008, 06:26 PM   #4
boxerrider

Thanks

Thanks carguy! I must have either dug up an old USPS document or one that was too complicated for my simple mind to understand. The one in your link does not include licensee or dealer in the long gun restrictions.

Now on to the price haggling!