The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1
243wssm

help on adjusting new setting for a Boss on a 7mm wsm

hi to all,

i got my new 7mm wsm eclipse m-1000, and wanted to know if any of you did test to find out other than the informations they give for the setting of the Boss with the 140, 150 and 160gr. I will use a wide range of weight and trade mark, so your help could save me a lot of time if you did have any others adjustement.

Thank
243wssm
Old June 21, 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

I found that the Sweet Spot chart wasn't very accurate to my real world results in a 7mmRemMag,and it is of course nearly useless for reloads.

I'd guess you'll have to test it yourself.
Old June 21, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
243wssm

what they give it is close to what you should get, of course you have to test it to get your sweet spot, cuz every rifles has is own sweet spot. But what i mean is if i can get from someone who did it, try to find a sweet spot it's to give me a start, cuz otherwise i will have to start from zero and go up, this mean a lot of try and error. All i want is a spot start from people who did it.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:39 PM   #4
steve4102

I have a BAR 300WSM with BOSS. Making adjustment to the BOSS and to your loads all at the same time can be a nightmare as the combinations are endless.

Pick a bullet you want to use, set the BOSS to whatever you wish, I set mine at (0). Pick a powder that looks promising for velocity and pressure. Start your load development and do not adjust the BOSS. Once you find a load that delivers desired velocity without any signs of pressure and OK accuracy stop. Go back to the bench and load a bunch of these. Then you can go to the range and drive yourself nuts with the BOSS adjustments.
Old June 21, 2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Exactly, pick your optimum round that you will use for most everything and adjust to that and leave it alone for everything else. Unless you are shooting precision rifle matches from the bench at long range its pretty unlikely you will notice the difference.

Other than that the best place for it is off the gun and in your spare parts bin and adjust your ammo to the gun as is. Just between you and me there are few guns that tolerate a wide range of bullets equally well from light to heavy and the twist has more to do with that than the BOSS.

Only way I know to adjust is to crank it way out and get the 0 adjustment to line up with the 0 line. pick your bullet then adjust in 1/4 turn increments till you see a difference. Than 1/10th turn adjustments till you have your sweet spot. Buy a lot of that ammo from that lot and be happy. Not a fast way to do it but I don't know any shortcuts.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 21, 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
William T. Watts

I had a Winchester with a boss and hated it

I spent more than $100.00 on components for a Winchester Model 70 (30/06) with a boss and never found a sweet spot. I went thru three new rifles (Winchester Model 70, Savage 114 Classic, and last the Ruger Hawkeye). The Ruger Hawkeye grouped virtually everything well, worst groups were 1 1/2" - 1 3/4", the best well within a 1". All rifles had the same components fired thru them, either 150 or 165gr Nosler Solid Base bullet and IMR4064. Every rifle is different even if they are the same model and caliber, you'll have to find what your particular rifle prefers. I have my doubts you'll ever find the magic number that will give the accuracy you desire.. IMO!! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; June 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 10:44 PM   #7
243wssm

steve4102, old grump, i know how to settle a boss, and yes i have fire my reload and will pick up the closest one group from ther i will work up the boss, that was my intention, all i ask is if any have done it yet with a 7 mm wsm so i can start from there, otherwise i will have to work it all the way, i just thought i would save some time and some bullets...thanks for your infos folks
243wssm
Old June 21, 2010, 10:50 PM   #8
243wssm

william t. watts, i already did reload for it, and tested it, and had a good grouping from starting, but i know every rifles are different, but sometimes it get close to the same point, so instead of having to go throught all the number, i thought i would get some infos and would not have to do all of it, but if i have to do it, i will do it, and i will get a nice sweet spot. I have settler a boss for someone on a browning medaillon in 7 mm wsm, but was for 150gr, so it's already in the chart, but had to find the sweet spot, and we got a nice almost 1/2 inch at 100 m, and i was amaze about that, cuz when we start we were over a inch.
Old June 22, 2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Didn't mean to get preachy but there is no shortcut I am aware of. Also I have only found it needed on guns designated for really long range shooting and most people don't shoot good enough for the difference to be noticed. I love the concept but the longer I am around the more it appears to be a gimmick like brightly painted fish lures to attract a fisherman and not the fish.

Boss free now and no reason to go back.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--