The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1
new_shooter

pistol grip on maverick 88

Thinking of going to a pistol grip on my 88. But heard about issues with the fore end lock being a issue are there any grips that are a better choice ?
Old March 30, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
new_shooter

Hmm no one have a favorite grip?
Old March 30, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Are you talking about a pistol grip only, or a M4 type of pistol grip?

If PGO, save your money (and wrist)
Old March 31, 2013, 08:52 AM   #4
new_shooter

Was looking at pistol grip with some sort of 6 position stock. Heard about the PGO issues I'm not interested in hurting myself! Thanks for the info so far!
Old March 31, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
scottd913

note to NEW SHOOTER : for the most part the fine people on this board are traditionalist and will not give advice on modifying your shotgun; ya see they do alot of skeet and trap shooting and think there way is the only way.
as for a pistol grip you are right in thinking a m-4 style stock system i have modify ed my shotgun in the same style. some of us just like to go blow the heck out of things. i put on a Phoenix recoil reduction stock on one of my Mossberg's for that very reason and no it don't hurt my wrist when i shoot it - in fact my small framed wife loves it, she says it don't hurt no more!!
oh and one more thing: most people try and stay away from pistol grips they say it is better to shoulder the weapon...i agree!! the only reason to have a pistol grip with out a stock is to scare the hell out of people while you rob the local convenience store. you really have no control of the shotgun like that IMO. if you joined this board for advice on SHTF of eotwawk you really came to the wrong place ....other than that welcome to the firing line forums. there are plenty of people here with loads of knowledge that is very beneficial.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: language.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Sorry dude, even those of us who are primarily TARGET shooters can say, without reservation, is that a PGO is the worst crime ever perpetuated on mankind...........snootiness but actual practicality aside, we DO know what we are talking about - other than the video game commandos who think that PGO grips and that mentality are really not worth discussing
Old March 31, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I have to agree with the others on PGOs. I've got no use for them. That said, I do actually hunt with a pistol grip stock. It's not on a Maverick, but that's beside the point.

It looks like Choate makes a telescoping M4-style stock for the Maverick 88: http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/02-01-27
Old March 31, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
new_shooter

OK..so that's a no on the PGO but I'd have to say most of the stocks I've looked at use some sort of pistol grip?? So far the plans are a butt stock shell holder and side saddle
Old March 31, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

So are you still looking for a stock with a pistol grip? Just not Pistol Grip Only?
Old March 31, 2013, 08:31 PM   #10
new_shooter

I was gonna go pistol grip only but heard to many stories about sore wrists so a good pistol grip/stock combo that won't fall apart?? Most places are out of stock so keeping the butt stock for now
Old March 31, 2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I have to agree that PGO is not the best idea. I don't have any experience with the Mossberg Maverick or any way to compare the Choate telescoping stock (that I linked above) to any others that may be available for the Maverick. With that said, I've been using Choate stuff for years without any problems.

If you run a search on the Choate site (www.riflestock.com), it'll come up with 4 different results: M4, 2 pistol grip (not PGO) models, and a youth model.
Old March 31, 2013, 09:32 PM   #12
new_shooter

Any info is great info! I'll look around at the site! When $$ permits I'm buying the stick that fits my price range I'm on a budget but won't settle for cheap
Old April 1, 2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Skarekrow88

The PGO config is useless unless you spend a lot of time breaching doors but they are fun to play with sometimes. If I had a short barreled Mossberg/Maverick or Remington and wanted a PG setup I would go with this http://www.blackhawk.com/product/spe...k,1156,165.htm. You can play with the PG setup if you like but also have a more stable shooting platform if you want/need it. Supposed to help with recoil too but that has been debated
Old April 1, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
BigD_in_FL

If you REALLY have to have something like that, at least go with the bird's head grip, but in all seriousness, forget the video game, rambo crap and use a real stock
Old April 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
forget the video game, rambo crap and use a real stock
ditto
Old April 1, 2013, 06:59 PM   #16
new_shooter

I don't even play video games. but thanks for all the advice so far!
Old April 1, 2013, 07:11 PM   #17
bt380

I have read in some of the magazines that we (private citizens) lose defensive abilities by going to a pistol grip. There were other issues as well but I don't recall them all. It seems logical from the articles to not use the grip, but since I have never had to use a shotty in that manner, I am only parroting the articles. Would be interested in hearing from the NRA instructors or those that teach tactical classes.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #18
new_shooter

I have almost squashed the idea I shouldered the gun last night for s&g's I like the stock just fine! Bought it to blow some rounds through and protect my home mostly!
Old April 2, 2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Nothin' wrong with keeping it bone stock, either. Go shoot it and then decide.