The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 09:00 AM   #26
jrothWA

Other factors that restricted semi's..

were early political correctness about having a "cocked and locked" firearm in the holster visible to the nervous nellies.

Heck the .357MAG was dissed because it could shoot through and hit innocent bystanders.

Super Vel really broke the ice for reliable feeding and staying where put.

With the advent of the M39 in the mid-fifites and adopted by the INDIANNA State police helped.

Grew up in NE Ohio and hunting buddy need ammo, so we went to local shop he knew it turned out to be the NE Ohio police distributor, it being a Saturday, there were plenty of Cleveland and local PD officers there and they were buying
BHP's @ discount of $250, for off-duty carry. No way they could use for on-duty. This was Mid-70's.

This being after the 1968 HCA, I was able to buy one for that first one would go to my Dad.
Old April 24, 2013, 02:31 PM   #27
Bart Noir

jrrothWA, did the Indiana staters (term from Justified show, just to show how hip I am!) start using the S&W 39 before the Illinois State Police?

That's why I hang out here, to learn new things.

And I know of at least a little US military use of the HiPower. Very little, actually.

I fired then tried to buy a BHP from a retired pilot. He had carried it on two tours flying A-4 Skyhawks against North Vietnam. He didn't want to be stuck with only a six shooter if having to bail out.

And he didn't want to sell it. But I was hooked on the BHP and have owned several, of various types and quality. The low end of which was the BHP made in India on old Canadian tooling. Think of a poorly made Inglis....

Bart Noir