The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 10, 1998, 08:53 PM   #1
[email protected]
Wise Guy

In the spirit of our cooperation, should you guys run into any repeat episodes of what happened earlier this evening, give me a call and I will be happy to help out.

Spark
Old October 10, 1998, 09:19 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks, Spark.
Here's what happened: I originally installed the freeware version of UBB, to test the server and assure compatibility. I then had someone from UBB's list install the licensed version.

Well, he set the Members' file pointer to the original Member file (not the one in our current cgi directory). That's why, when we talked last night, I asked where the members file was. I put it on Zach's to-do list for today and he located it.

What happened tonite was that we copied the real Member file over to the cgi/Members directory and then changed the pointer index in forumsindex file. We changed the attributes on the files, as required and Updated and Reindexed. That's when everything went to hell on a bobsled.

Zach and I were on ICQ at the time. I thought he'd changed the pointers back; he thought I had....so we spent about an hour scrambling to find out what had happened. Zach finally asked the question: "Are you sure you changed the pointer back?". "No, I thought you did!"; "Doh!"

Were in good shape now, though. Tomorrow, we'll be installing a dummy copy of the software on the server. Well test future changes there, before loading them to the public area.

Thanks for being there for us. Actually, I *tried* to find a better BB system than UBB. As you've already learned, this is the best available.

Rich
Old October 11, 1998, 12:14 AM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Yeah, for the money, this is the best thing out there. There are better packages, but they cost more than an order of magnitude more, and IMO aren't as friendly.

One thing to remember is to always reset the General and Style variables every time you upgrade, that will save you some problems.

As for the forumsindex file, don't worry too much about it, you can always just click on Update Index in the control panel after you have made your changes, and it should work just fine.

Spark

Spark
Old October 11, 1998, 01:56 AM   #4
Mike Turber

Glad to see this site up and running! Good luck and have fun Rich!

Best Regards,
Mike Turber