The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
David Nash

Component Swap

What is the legalities / etiquette of swapping components for finished ammunition...

I have a press, but no where to put it, and I have thousands of hounds of .38 and .223 with hundreds of .45 and 12 guage. I want to trade the casings powder, primers, and bullets for a smaller amount of finished ammunition?

Is this done, or do I have to convince my roommate to let be bolt my single stage to her kitchen table?

David
TN, ND, UT CCW/Carry Permit Instructor
Old March 10, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
mkl

I'd suggest the kitchen table route.

Most of us are unwilling to reload for anyone except ourselves due to potential liability issues. If one of our reloads blew up your gun and possibly injured you, we would be exposed for a rather significant liability lawsuit.

Since we have no control over what type of firearm you would put our reloads into, nor the condition of that firearm, it is simply too big a risk for most of us to take.

Lastly, if we were to "sell" our reloads, we would need a Federal license for the commercial manufacture of ammunition.

Good luck. You might consider the Lee hand press which is inexpensive (under $20.00) and does not need to be bolted to a table.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Couldn't you C clamp it to the table? No damage to the table if things are padded a little.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Inspector3711

Bolt it to the dash in the car. You can reload on long trips too!
Old March 11, 2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Demaiter

I'd go by a table or desk, one with those folding legs... you'll have it forever and there "pretty" sturdy - add some weight and good to go - it doesn't need to be that big.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
crowbeaner

What ever happened to simple carpentry skills? How hard is it to buy or scrounge some scrap lumber, a few nails, a framing square, a pencil, and a retractable metal tape? Got a picnic bench handy? "C" clamps and load away.