The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2014, 01:08 AM   #1
chaska

Are all Mauser followers the same?

I need to replace my follower and spring. The spring is old and I think it is too weak to feed shells. The follower has the high back that stops closing when empty. It is stamped, not solid, so I can't file it down.

Are all followers and springs interchangeable? They are easy to find on the internet but I don't know if they vary in size.

Thanks.
Old February 3, 2014, 04:37 AM   #2
10-96

A lot of them are the 'same' enough to work, however, there have been a lot of different Mausers and calibers made over the past 100+ years. If you could identify what type of receiver you have precisely, you could look further at Numrich Gun Parts. Just scanning through their lists of Mausers they list parts for- you can see how 'one size just probably won't fit all'.

Edit: I just noted where you said your follower is stamped. Could it be that you have a Yugo 48?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Knight cadet

U know that some mausers have a follower that prevents the bolt from being closed on an empty chamber without depressing it first. I'm sure there are other differences, but that's an obvious one,
Old February 3, 2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Jimro

Quote:
Are all followers and springs interchangeable? They are easy to find on the internet but I don't know if they vary in size.
Within reason, yes. Any military follower should fit, and most commercial followers too.

Jimro
Old February 3, 2014, 11:43 PM   #5
chaska

Quote:
I just noted where you said your follower is stamped. Could it be that you have a Yugo 48
I don't have a Yugo, maybe a Frankenstein. It is hard to say if all the parts came from the same gun. The action is Wakkenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf A/N. The bolt has no name but some faint marks on the handle and it looks like a commercial handle, although I will bend it back a little to match my stock. The trigger guard has no name, is drilled with the retainer screw holes, does not have a hinged plate and the plate has GERMANY stamped on it.

It is chambered for 270 Win, which I like, but doesn't feed worth a damn.

I have cleaned it up and polished the edges. I don't want to remove any material since it is hard to put back. I will get a better spring and hope that solves the feed problem but I can't cut my follower down since it is stamped, not solid.

They are easy to find, I just don't know if they are all about the same.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:50 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is there any crest or marking on the top of the receiver ring? The gun sounds like a standard 98 Mauser and if so about any 98 Mauser follower and spring should fit.

Usually the stamped followers can be ground down at the back to allow the bolt to close the same as the solid followers. Follower springs weakening are uncommon, though not unknown. Check www.gunpartscorp.com for the parts.

Jim