The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2013, 05:40 AM   #1
NSC

How to remove the butt plate on an Anschutz 1416?

I am trying to remove the butt plate from my Anschutz 1416. I have removed the two screws and there are no other screws evident but the butt plate is still firmly fixed to the stock. I have also carefully tried to prise a knife blade between the butt plate and the stock but only managed to scratch the stock. Any ideas what to do next? The reason I am removing the butt plate is to increase the length of pull by about 2"/50mm (I have long arms!) so any suggestions about other ways to increase the length of pull would also be gratefully received.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It should come off. Evidently, there is some stock finish, etc., under the butt plate, that has bonded with the plate itself. Mount the stock in a vise, in a way it wont get scratched. Next, take a rubber mallet, and sharply rap the edge of the butt plate, and see if that will break it loose. If not, try heating the butt plate with a hair dryer, and then giving it a rap.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Bart B.

Have you checked Anschutz's web site for a manual that could be downloaded? It probably has a parts diagram that'll help.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
TATER

Put an old mouse pad or piece of leather down, Just bounce the stock on the floor.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Carne Frio

Here's a link to a manual with an expanded drawing.
Looks like it should pop right off after removing two
screws.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/anschutz_1416-1516.pdf
Old May 16, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Pahoo

Breaking the bond !!

A number of gun manufacturers do a great job of finishing their stocks but provide little or no protection, on the wood, under the buttplate. Some folks think that you don't need to protect this area and that's wrong. In your case, what I suspect, is that yours does have some protection but what that might be, would only be a guess on my part. I have see the normal finishes, Epoxy, contact or rubber cement and Wax. Again, all in an effort to weather seal this end. .....

I'd say to try a "little" heat and see if this loosens the bond. By the way, I have also seen the application of small brads or pins to hold the white spacer, to the stock. Might be a good idea to contact Anschutz and see if they can help. Please come back and let us know how you made out ..

Hang in there and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 18, 2013, 09:11 PM   #7
NSC

Thanks for the info and quick reply, it is much appreciated, as you suggested there was a lot of lacquer under the buttplate, I clamped the rifle on a rubber mat, carefully placed a chisel at the point where the buttplate meets the stock, gave the chisel a few light raps with a piece of wood and they separated, I then gently prised the two apart with a butter knife.

Last edited by NSC; May 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #8
NSC

I should say thanks to all the replies and good advice! It is very kind of you all to take the time to assist me with this, have good days!

Last edited by NSC; May 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Tags
anschutz , buttplate , length of pull