The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2000, 07:02 PM   #1
bookkie

I've got a Dan Wesson 15-2 target wheel gun. Most of the shells I shoot through it, including factory loads are extra hard to eject from the cylinder. It has to be that the sizing of the cylinder is either to large or too small. I believe that it is two large causing the casings to swell under pressure. If it is too large I'll need to replace the cylinder. Too small maybe I can get it resized by sanding the inside? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!
Old February 8, 2000, 08:19 PM   #2
Wallew

You might consider just polishing the insides of the cylinder. You didn't state whether the pistol was new or used. I assume used. You can get a build up of 'crud' on the inside of the cylinder walls over years of usage. This could be causing the problem. If new, send that sucker back to the manufacturer. I would be greatly surprised if the cylinder was not correctly bored. But you never know. Jim
Old February 9, 2000, 06:03 AM   #3
HS

I'll state the ovious.
If you shoot .38s from it, the shorter .38s leave carbon/powder inside the cylinder...
When you stick in a LONGER .357 Magnum cartridge & fire it, the case expands & gets stuck on the ring left by the SHORTER .38s

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Old February 9, 2000, 11:45 AM   #4
Paul B.

Bookie. If it was just reloads sticking, I'd have said you reloads were too hot. But you state that factory ammo also sticks. So I'll suggest first off, as HS said, give the cylinder a good cleaning. If that solves the problem, fine. If not, the if the gun is new, let the factory square it away. If it is used, polish out the chambers yourself, or get a reliable gunsmith to do it. You can look into the cylinder and see if it has rough tool marks. These are what need to be polished out.
Let us know how it comes out.
Paul B.