The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2002, 04:31 PM   #1
SkaerE

ok, so what do you do when you spook a deer in heavy brush...

and cant get a good shot. follow it in? glass for it? try and flank it? just wait?

this happened to me this morning, and while i could have shot it in the ass w/a 45/70 i chose not to (for obvious reasons)

anyhow, what do you guys do? i tried a couple things this morining, but to no avail.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:42 PM   #2
Navy joe

In VA, it probably won't go far. Sit down and wait if the wind works for you, the deer may circle back if it was its bedding area it broke out of. Or the wait will let it settle down and you can follow and stir it up again. Following it when alerted won't be very productive. Where in VA are you hunting? I can't imagine having to glass for a deer, rifle hunting the longest shot I have heard of in a while was 200 yds, the shortest about 5.

Lately I can only get to the woods about midday, so I work dense brush with shotgun or handgun at the ready trying to stir them out. The hope is for a clear shot or for them to break about ten yards and stop to see what I am. Either that or sit back and wait for the idjits running dogs to chase one by me. Two trips so far have proven to be take your gun for a walk days, but at least I proved that if you sit really still a beagle will practically jump over you without seeing you. Dunno how same stupid dog is gonna find a deer. Can't wait to go home and hunt private land.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:59 PM   #3
SkaerE

SW Va.

today was a nice day out. not really productive (didnt kill anything) but had 2 does go sprinting by me at a full tilt (about 125 yrds away) spooked one in heavy brush, saw 4 squirrels and a hen turkey.

couldnt get a good shot on the two running does either, too much brush/trees in the way. only caught a glimpse of them every few seconds...
Old November 23, 2002, 06:13 PM   #4
gordo b.

So you dont think a 45-70 is up to the "Portugese heart shot"?
Old November 23, 2002, 06:17 PM   #5
SkaerE

on the contrary, im sure it would do it from the tail end...

but it would probably end up rupturing the intestines and bladder and make everything nasty.
Old November 23, 2002, 11:57 PM   #6
WYO

Quote:
ok, so what do you do when you spook a deer in heavy brush...
I like to stand there with a dumb look on my face. . . .

Actually, sometimes I take off running at a 45 degree angle to the left or right of the deer's track, then try to pick an opening. If it stops to look back in the direction that I had been, I sometimes can get a shot. If the brush is too thick, I revert to the above.
Old November 24, 2002, 12:19 AM   #7
Rugerfan

My experience with whitetails in that scenario is that they usually don’t go far initially. They run back in the brush a bit and then try to figure out what happened before they really move out. First I would put up the scope or binoculars to see if I can spot the deer through a hole. If not, flanking may work only if you can do so fairly quietly and quickly. Otherwise forget it. WYO’s 45 degree tactic sounds like a winner too. Your best bet may be just to let that one go.
Old November 25, 2002, 02:10 PM   #8
scotjute

IF they weren't quite sure what you are, they'll stop, usually within 60 yds. or so and try to figure out what you are. Sometimes you can get a shot at them when they stop.
If you really spooked them, they'll run about 100 yds or so and then stop, once again, when they stop, you may get a shot at them. The minute they stop, you have to be absolutely still or they are gone.
Most of the time(but not always), you cannot walk them up for a shot once you've spooked them. I usually don't follow them, as I usually won't get a shot, but will just spook them further. Make a mental note and try to hunt them in that vicinity another day.
If the weather is misty rain or fog, that is an ideal time to walk up deer. I think you can see better than they in this weather, and scent seems to be killed by the weather.
I have killed deer this way. Its sort of a numbers game.
Old November 25, 2002, 03:12 PM   #9
Keith Rogan

Whistle.

You'll be surpised at how often this will make a running deer stop and stare.
Old November 27, 2002, 03:47 PM   #10
eroyd

If plausable, back off, come back another day, you've just learnt part of this deers routine . Be patient. Take note of time and conditions and use what you know to your advantage. Do not let that deer catch you in that same position again. He will learn! Try to cut him off but hold out for the perfect conditions. Be patient.

If this was the last day of hunting season, again back off and as others have suggested do a downwind flanking manouvre. You'll have to capitalize on what ever shot he presents if any. There'll be no second chances. Unless this deers going to make you famous, pass on that butt shot.