The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 3, 2016, 01:10 PM   #26
Rloba

I was using the Canadian website for a reference point on what parts I needed to build a rifle. I was not planning on ordering a gun from Canada, nor ammo. Getting some things in the US is hassle enough, no need to bring another country into things to make it even more expensive/inconvenient.
Old June 3, 2016, 03:16 PM   #27
g.willikers

And I was just gonna' remind you about the Canadian dollar being worth quite a bit less than ours.
Heck, just mailing stuff to and from Canada can be a pain, let alone importing a weapon.
Old June 3, 2016, 05:06 PM   #28
fourbore

Ahhh,,, 338 Lapua! I have a fascination for this as well as 50 bmg. I wont ever have either because of where I live and shoot, I could never exercise either gun.

I have had great luck with cz rifles and I wonder what opinion others might have of this cz:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-mag...e-ai-magazine/

Product Name CZ 550 Magnum H.E.T. II, .338 Lapua

MSRP $3,929.00 USD
Chambering .338 Lapua
Magazine Capacity 5
Magazine Type Detachable AI
Stock Carbon Fiber Composite by Manners
Length Of Pull 14 in
Sights Low-Mount Picatinny Rail
Barrel Premium US-Made
Barrel Length 25
Overall Length 48 in
Weight 14 lbs
Receiver Finish
Fully Adjustable?

Link to photo from cz website:

Old June 3, 2016, 07:37 PM   #29
Nathan

The guy is in Texas and wants a big money 338 Lapua. I'm guessing he has the means to buy it and the place to shoot it. If you know what you are talking about, please help him out.

He doesn't seem to want a Savage 338 Lapua with a nice optic.

338 Lapua is a great hog round ar 1200 yards!
Old June 4, 2016, 06:00 AM   #30
fourbore

It is easy to mis-understand interent post. If I took this wrong just skip over this next paragraph.

The CZ 550 in nothing like anything offered by savage. Better in all respects. That is just my opinion. This is no savage. I am surprised to see a scope in the photo. I 'assume' that is NOT included.

The manners stock is top notch and an excellent design for prone position shooting. Some chassis design are as not as well suited for prone. The Ruger and most so-called chassis emulate the AR ergonomics where the comb will not adjust low enough. In prone you need to be able to adjust the comb LOWER than AR style stocks. I am aware of aluminum chassis used for Olympic shooting and the wider and proper range of adjustment. I like the manners, again, my opinion.

I believe, the He II from CZ are individually assembled in the USA at the custom shop in St Louis. I got a safari rifle from that shop and it is a whole different gun from the those guns mass produced in check republic. I can endorse the work from that shop. Also, if you contact the shop they will probably make changes such as bbl weight and length at no added cost. There may be options available beyond what the catalog indicates 'IF' you know what you want. I see a lot of those option for the safari customs now listed in the catalog. I bet $$$ to donuts, you could send the them muzzle brake, just as a for instance. I think the guy you want to talk with in St. L. is Harlan.

I like the set triggers used on stock 550's. I dont know what they use by default on the HE. That might be something else to discuss. Do not assume you need a better trigger.

Last edited by fourbore; June 4, 2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old June 4, 2016, 06:29 AM   #31
fourbore

There are also sako models in 338 that are more sniper like in design. I bet those can shoot. The cz maybe a bit unknown in this space, Sako has a top reputation.

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-trg

You can probably tell, I am not so much a fan of custom guns where the buyer and builder had better both be on the top of their game.
Old June 4, 2016, 09:01 AM   #32
tobnpr

I believe you will need the Deviant action from Defiance for the .338 Lapua. You need to check with Defiance on this.

You need a .750 bolt, a receiver that can handle the chamber pressures and bolt thrust for this cartridge. The .338 Lapua is a different animal- and must be regarded as such.

I think you're making a mistake buying components- then trying to find a builder.

Interview gunsmiths, discuss pricing. Most of the time, you don't save $$ by buying your own parts, but of course you want to price both ways, or with a combination to get your best overall price.

It's kind of like buying your own starter at NAPA, then taking it to the mechanic to install. He might do it- but if that starter is bad out of the box, or fails under warranty, it's your problem. Most of the time, as FFL's we get pricing discounts so that we can make a few bucks- and still sell to the customer at the same street price he'd pay direct.

It'll probably take 4-6 months for the barrel anyway (if not the action as well), so take your time. However, if you're looking for something sooner rather than later the buying decisions/builder are going to be influenced by availability of components and the builder's backlog.

Quote:
Personally, I don't want a $1,500 rifle that's running $4.00 ammo. I knew a custom build would be expensive going into this. I know you guys are trying to help, but this is not a "trying to save money" build. Not trying to be hostile, just trying to set things straight.

The .338 would be partially for targets but more so for hogs
There seems to be a "board mentality" where many here can't seem to comprehend custom builds- and why anyone would want to spend the dollars involved on one "When you can buy a Ruger American..." Suggest you take this to Sniper's Hide, and do a search there for information. We all know you can buy a single-shot Savage .338 LM for a grand- that's not what you're looking for.

You do have me really puzzled over the "more so for hogs", but what the heck... I suppose if you've got the open country there, and they're at 1300 yards it would be more interesting than banging steel.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; June 4, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old June 4, 2016, 11:18 AM   #33
emcon5

Quote:
There seems to be a "board mentality" where many here can't seem to comprehend custom builds- and why anyone would want to spend the dollars involved on one "When you can buy a Ruger American..." Suggest you take this to Sniper's Hide, and do a search there for information. We all know you can buy a single-shot Savage .338 LM for a grand- that's not what you're looking for.
I don't necessarily think that is the case, I expect it is more that someone comes on and starts posting about dropping the cost of a car on a rifle that may not know how to shoot, or might think that because he spent ~$12K on a rifle he should be able to start popping hogs at 1200 yards, which is a horrible idea no matter how experienced you are or what you are shooting. Isaac Newton will not be denied.

We don't know how experiences the OP is, but I expect not much based on the questions he is asking.
Old June 4, 2016, 01:44 PM   #34
fourbore

tobnpr comments reminded me of this. I have read someplace that the 338 requires special barrel steel due to the heat & pressure and nature of the burn. I am not experienced to be able to say more than to provide a heads up. And I guess, parts of the high cost of 338 is the special barrel. I would want to be sure I was getting the right stuff and not any brand x that made the claim.

The cz550 magnum action will handle the 338 easy. It has size and strength to spare. There is no price penalty for the 338 size action with cz. They chamber the 416 rigby which is the same size and I think the parent exterior case size. I think. The cz will also handle bigger rounds, but that does not matter here.

The OP could investigate purchase of a barreled action and skip the gun smith. Might be a lot quicker if he can find something too suit his taste.

I generally assume the reason to build custom is to get something not otherwise available rather than too save money. The Op says he cannot find what he wants in a factory gun like sako or a semi-custom like the CZ. If he looked at those, if not, they might be worth consideration.

Tags
bolt action , build , cadex , need help